By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How MS could take a chunk out of Sony's sales this Holiday!

4 Things MS could do to really sell great this holiday, and take the wind out of Sony's sales. 

1. Advertise Backwards Compatibilty. I think this one is a given for MS. Anyone who is in retail will tell you how big of a feature this actually is. It won't just boost software sales, but anyone on the fence about buying a console this holiday might make their final decision based on this alone. This is the type of feature will gain traction by word of mouth. Please don't tell me, "But it's only 100 games!" Do you really think casuals will care? In the end more games will be added so that argument doesn't hold much weight. 

2. Bundle Rare Replay with all holiday consoles. This will give MS the advantage of saying, "Buy our console which already comes with 30 games in the box!" Let alone, 30 awesome classic games. Any parent who walks into the store looking for a new console for Timmy, would be hard to pass up 30 games already ready to go compared to maybe 1 or 2 by the competitor. 

3. The Xbox elite controller. Don't tell me those 13 year olds crazy over Cod don't want a controller like this. All of them want any type of advantage they can possibly have, even if that means just 3 extra kills.  They will beg their poor parents to buy them the Elite controller. Some might say, "But it's $150 why would you buy that?" Most controllers with similar features run for $200+, and you're getting an official controller by MS, not some 3rd party company. 

4. Holiday lineup. MS has the upperhand in their offering this holiday. There is nothing Sony is offering that can go toe-to-toe with Tomb Raider, Forza 6, and Halo 5. All MS needs to do is push those three games heavily, along with of the things I've already mentioned and they're good to go. MS will already have the retailer support like Gamestop, Best buy, etc. simply because of backwards compatibility. 

I'm not saying MS will win the holiday, but it will make it a hell of a lot more interesting if they do the following. 

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

3. The Xbox elite controller. Don't tell me those 13 year olds crazy over Cod don't want a controller like this. All of them want any type of advantage they can possibly have, even if that means just 3 extra kills.  They will beg their poor parents to buy them the Elite controller. Some might say, "But it's $150 why would you buy that?" Most controllers with similar features run for $200+, and you're getting an official controller by MS, not some 3rd party company. 

I think Call of Duty players will be more concerned about this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-sony-won-call-of-duty-dlc-exclusivity-away-fro/1100-6428490/

over anything else.

I don't know who will sell better this Xmas, but if Micro really wants to win they should bundle every Xbone with a PS4 for $299.

Moderated - Starcraft

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
smroadkill15 said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-sony-won-call-of-duty-dlc-exclusivity-away-fro/1100-6428490/

over anything else.

I don't know who will sell better this Xmas, but if Micro really wants to win they should bundle every Xbone with a PS4 for $299.

Yeah, I don't think timed exclusive DLC has ever won a console war lol

Can't wait for the Black Friday pics of little kids holding CoD bundles.

AbbathTheGrim said:
smroadkill15 said:

over anything else.

Hardcore COD players are more concerned about where their clans and pro teams are. And the best COD players play on Xbox. The elite controller and scuf controllers are the best ever made for console fps.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
smroadkill15 said:

over anything else.

Too bad this controller only works with Cod...oh wait.

I'm glad Sony fans are so embracing of Cod now, funny how that works out. 

smroadkill15 said:

4 Things MS could do to really sell great this holiday, and take the wind out of Sony's sales. 

1. Advertise Backwards Compatibilty. I think this one is a given for MS. Anyone who is in retail will tell you how big of a feature this actually is. It won't just boost software sales, but anyone on the fence about buying a console this holiday might make their final decision based on this alone. This is the type of feature will gain traction by word of mouth. Please don't tell me, "But it's only 100 games!" Do you really think casuals will care? In the end more games will be added so that argument doesn't hold much weight. 

Nobody really cares anymore.  BC is really nice AT LAUNCH!  It has been 2 years lol we don't need it anymore.

2. Bundle Rare Replay with all holiday consoles. This will give MS the advantage of saying, "Buy our console which already comes with 30 games in the box!" Let alone, 30 awesome classic games. Any parent who walks into the store looking for a new console for Timmy, would be hard to pass up 30 games already ready to go compared to maybe 1 or 2 by the competitor. 

You mean how Sony already does with its superior PS+ catalogue?

Really?   $150 is gonna attract NEW buyers?  This is for the hardcore vets.

4. Holiday lineup. MS has the upperhand in their offering this holiday. There is nothing Sony is offering that can go toe-to-toe with Tomb Raider, Forza 6, and Halo 5. All MS needs to do is push those three games heavily, along with of the things I've already mentioned and they're good to go. MS will already have the retailer support like Gamestop, Best buy, etc. simply because of backwards compatibility.

Meh.  No Man's Sky, Until Dawn, and Superior third party games will sell just fine.  No body cares about Halo or Uncharted when Fallout 4 is coming out. 

I'm not saying MS will win the holiday, but it will make it a hell of a lot more interesting if they do the following. 

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

jlmurph2 said:

Hardcore COD players are more concerned about where their clans and pro teams are. And the best COD players play on Xbox. The elite controller and scuf controllers are the best ever made for console fps.

If the "hardcore COD players are more concerned about where their clans and pro teams are" then both that controller and the DLC will be irrelevant for them and any proposal to make them jump ship is unnecessary.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Eddie_Raja said:
smroadkill15 said:

Nobody really cares anymore.  BC is really nice AT LAUNCH!  It has been 2 years lol we don't need it anymore.

You mean how Sony already does with its superior PS+ catalogue?

Really?   $150 is gonna attract NEW buyers?  This is for the hardcore vets.

Meh.  No Man's Sky, Until Dawn, and Superior third party games will sell just fine.  No body cares about Halo or Uncharted when Fallout 4 is coming out. 

That's a strong downplay. To say noone cares about Halo 5 or UC4 because of Fallout 4 is ridiculous because they're not the same types of games at all.

smroadkill15 said:

Please don't tell me, "But it's only 100 games!" Do you really think casuals will care? In the end more games will be added so that argument doesn't hold much weight. 

Pretty sure casuals only care about new games....