By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How MS could take a chunk out of Sony's sales this Holiday!

jlmurph2 said:
Protendo said:

Funny, I remember them saying they were aiming for 40% market share in my home country, and they stated that they were going to gain ground in Europe before launch.

Priorities must of shifted with the change of managment....

Don't remember that. But US has always been MS' focus. Especially when they were ahead of PS last gen.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/21/xbox-germany-general-manager-aims-to-conquer-40-market-share-for-xbox-one/

Priorities have obviously shifted as the goal post moved. 

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
jlmurph2 said:

COD on PS4 has been outrunning COD on X1 ever since Ghost.

Since the beginning this CoD had gotten way more pre-orders on the X1 in the US, it's not the best source but just check the pre-order chart on here. That was also very much represented on Amazon.com. Advanced Warfare also sold more on X1 than on PS4 in the US.

You're right, I mistakenly only looked at Amazon's 2015 list for AW. But yeah 2014 is a much bigger gap.

Protendo said:
jlmurph2 said:

Don't remember that. But US has always been MS' focus. Especially when they were ahead of PS last gen.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/21/xbox-germany-general-manager-aims-to-conquer-40-market-share-for-xbox-one/

Priorities have obviously shifted as the goal post moved. 

Don't know how they expected to do that with their horrible advertising in Germany.

jlmurph2 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
jlmurph2 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

I think Call of Duty players will be more concerned about this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-sony-won-call-of-duty-dlc-exclusivity-away-fro/1100-6428490/

over anything else.

I don't know who will sell better this Xmas, but if Micro really wants to win they should bundle every Xbone with a PS4 for $299.

Hardcore COD players are more concerned about where their clans and pro teams are. And the best COD players play on Xbox. The elite controller and scuf controllers are the best ever made for console fps.

So, you think Black Ops 3 will sell more on XBO? Even with The Marketing and the PS4 bundle?

No.

in that case, you talk about PS4 / XBO boost? well, i believe the PS4 boost will ne bigger, not only for the Marketing, but because the CoD players has already XBO ( Well, not all, but More than who have a PS4 ).

P.S

XBOX EMPIRE is gone dude, now is the XBOX Nation time.

Ryng_Tolu said:
jlmurph2 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

So, you think Black Ops 3 will sell more on XBO? Even with The Marketing and the PS4 bundle?

No.

in that case, you talk about PS4 / XBO boost? well, i believe the PS4 boost will ne bigger, not only for the Marketing, but because the CoD players has already XBO ( Well, not all, but More than who have a PS4 ).

P.S

XBOX EMPIRE is hold ( old ) dude, now is the XBOX Nation time.

No, I wasn't talking about a boost really. I was talking about people moving from XB COD to PS COD.

PS

The Empire will live on. (In my heart)

Around the Network

The only way I see an Xbox One win is with another fire sale. I think people are expecting it to happen again.

jlmurph2 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
jlmurph2 said:

I agree about DLC. Its irrelevant because COD sales correlate to install base. Which is why MS didn't pay Activision for another year. Because people are going to buy it regardless. But the best fps controller for a lower price than a scuf is great incentive.

You may be overappreciating like OP the impact of the Elite controller with COD gamers and the only way to prove how much value gamers see in that controller is to see sales and see how gamers opt for a specific Xbone console over a PS4 console just to play with that controller. You see it as a game changer, I see other alternatives to that control.

You don't know why Micro didn't get/or sought another contract with Activision. If install bases were so determining then Micro wouldn't have gone for those contracts continuously in the past gen.

You know MS only cares about US. And COD is most popular in the US. So yes, install bases mattered last gen.

jlmurph said that Micro didn't go for COD dlc because the install base was already there, but then Micro went for timed exclusive repeatedly last gen, that is what I said.

I am not saying install bases don't matter, I am saying that for Micro install bases were not something taken for granted but something they catered to by continuously making Xbox the home of COD and it doesn't make sense that Micro simply dropped the timed exclusive DLC simply because they felt like the terrain was already won and they didn't need more contracts. If that were the case then Micro would have gone for a contract for a COD once last gen, and then go with that, it simply wasn't the strategy.

Read the post by jlmurph:

I agree about DLC. Its irrelevant because COD sales correlate to install base. Which is why MS didn't pay Activision for another year.

I was responding to that.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

You do realize that if sony uses their temporary price cut card it's been holding onto it will win the holidays? If sony doesn't use it then most likely MS will win NPD in the holidays because of bundles and deals but not for the reasons you mentioned.

smroadkill15 said:

4 Things MS could do to really sell great this holiday, and take the wind out of Sony's sales. 

1. Advertise Backwards Compatibilty. I think this one is a given for MS. Anyone who is in retail will tell you how big of a feature this actually is. It won't just boost software sales, but anyone on the fence about buying a console this holiday might make their final decision based on this alone. This is the type of feature will gain traction by word of mouth. Please don't tell me, "But it's only 100 games!" Do you really think casuals will care? In the end more games will be added so that argument doesn't hold much weight. They won't care about b/c at all, only the hard core care about b/c. Casuals don't like revisiting old games they played and finished a few years ago. There is no doubt this is a good feature, but the past doesn't sell consoles, future great games (including remakes - not remasters) sell consoles. If the lead strategy is "Play all these old previous gen games" then that is not a very compelling strategy. Will help a little bit, but it won't take chunnks out of PS4 sales, IMO.

2. Bundle Rare Replay with all holiday consoles. This will give MS the advantage of saying, "Buy our console which already comes with 30 games in the box!" Let alone, 30 awesome classic games. Any parent who walks into the store looking for a new console for Timmy, would be hard to pass up 30 games already ready to go compared to maybe 1 or 2 by the competitor. Timmy don't want classic Rare games, only the people with Rare nostalgia care about old Rare titles. And the kids who don't want CoD and/or Star Wars, which are both advantage PS4, will probably want Splatoon. I doubt a Rare bundle would help much at all.

3. The Xbox elite controller. Don't tell me those 13 year olds crazy over Cod don't want a controller like this. All of them want any type of advantage they can possibly have, even if that means just 3 extra kills.  They will beg their poor parents to buy them the Elite controller. Some might say, "But it's $150 why would you buy that?" Most controllers with similar features run for $200+, and you're getting an official controller by MS, not some 3rd party company. Controllers don't sell consoles, especially ones you have to buy separately. Will be virtually no benefit at all.

4. Holiday lineup. MS has the upperhand in their offering this holiday. There is nothing Sony is offering that can go toe-to-toe with Tomb Raider Hmmm PS4+UC trilogy then UC4 early next year and wait for Tomb Raider to come to PS4 seems like a pretty compelling package, not as good as UC4 releasing this holidays would have been, but still pretty good, Forza 6 USA doesn't care about this franchise, UK does care, rest of Europe/world doesn't give it much time, and Halo 5 Yes, this will definitely help current 360 owners decide to go with Xb one, but main benefit is USA and UK, and to a certain extent Aus and NZ, but collectively those won't cause a massive global swing towards Xb one outside of launch week and maybe the following 2 weeks. All MS needs to do is push those three games heavily, along with of the things I've already mentioned and they're good to go. MS will already have the retailer support like Gamestop, Best buy, etc. simply because of backwards compatibility. 

I'm not saying MS will win the holiday, but it will make it a hell of a lot more interesting if they do the following. "...if they do the above" and it will only make it interesting, maybe, in the USA and UK.

So really only one thing: Halo 5.

You also left out something that would probably be more significant thanb all these things combined: $299 1TB Xb one. Probably won't happen though.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

jlmurph2 said:
DerNebel said:

If hardcore players aren't concerned with the DLC why did they start this whole "Xboxorweriot" or whatever twitter thing? And why has ever CoD on PS4 been outrunning CoD on X1 ever since the announcement on Amazon.com? You're really underestimating this, it's shitty but this stuff works, companies aren't doing it for shits and giggles.

COD on PS4 has been outrunning COD on X1 ever since Ghost.

Don't the best CoD players play on PC? Or do the best fps players on PC play Counterstrike and they leave CoD to the console peasents?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix