By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Last Guardian needs to sell better than Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus

looked pretty impressive. The game has been in development for many years, and completely changed platform a few years ago. It’s now coming to the PS4 in 2016, and its release is very important for Sony.

While the previous two games in the series, Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus were hailed by critics, they didn’t do well when it came to selling copies to gamers. Sony wants to change that with The Last Guardian.

Speaking in a lengthy interview with Metro, Sony’s Jim Ryan commented on The Last Guardian from a financial perspective, saying it’s important that the game is both artistically and financially successful.

“My organisation [Sony] did not perform particularly well with either Ico or Shadow Of The Colossus. I have berated them [the team] for this, and said, ‘We have to do better with this game’”.

He added that big games like The Last Guardian have to be profitable, because “The sums are just too big, the amounts of money are just too great”.

http://ps4daily.com/2015/06/sony-the-last-guardian-needs-to-sell-better-than-ico-and-shadow-of-the-colossus/

Around the Network

That shouldn't be too hard. And Shu said it wasn't very expensive anyway

It's a very artistic and a Japanse game, I highly doubt it's even going to break even. 2.5 million lifetime

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

With all the hype that's been generating over all these years, I doubt it could sell less than SoTC and ICO.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It'll have an explosive first week. But I can't see it having super legs, but I think it'll be profitable.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Needs to recoup 20 years of development.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It would be a bad ending for Team Ico if they made their best game, but they collapsed because The Last Guardian didn't sell too well.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Qwark said:
It's a very artistic and a Japanse game, I highly doubt it's even going to break even. 2.5 million lifetime

How is it in any way a Japanese game?

On a side note, Ico sold 700,000, which isn't too bad.

Roronaa_chan said:
That shouldn't be too hard. And Shu said it wasn't very expensive anyway

And you believed that?

Without knowing around how much they are looking to sell with this it's pretty difficult to say if they can reach it, also critic scores may suffer from the long delay and the expectations it build