By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Suspension of Disbelief(Why western fans dislike JRPG's)

What is the main reason Westerns dislike JRPGs?

Aesthetics 66 26.83%

Suspension of Disbelief 16 6.50%

Convoluted Stories 43 17.48%

Linearity 24 9.76%

They are simple not open minded.... 97 39.43%

Total:246

Stupid looking characters.
Stupid sounding characters.
Even stupider dialogue from said characters.
Horrendous voice acting for said characters.
Mostly horrendous story telling and gameplay mechanics.

I enjoy anime, a lot, but the non weeaboo / childish kind. Stuff like Steins Gate, Cowboy beebop, Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost in The Shell.

Why can't japanese games be like those animes above. Mature, well written with unique, non cookie cutter characters.

Around the Network
foodfather said:

I enjoy anime, a lot, but the non weeaboo / childish kind. Stuff like Steins Gate, Cowboy beebop, Serial Experiments Lain and Ghost in The Shell.

Why can't japanese games be like those animes above. Mature, well written with unique, non cookie cutter characters.

Funny how we could think you're talking about western games

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
foodfather said:

What western characters fit the above??? I cant think of any single western video game characters that look like this...

foodfather said:
Aerys said:
foodfather said:

What western characters fit the above??? I cant think of any single western video game characters that look like this...

Stupid sounding character

Stupid looking character

I can only think to one character :

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Its dificult to talk about this without generalising.

If i were to generalise. Its just because they arent realistic looking. Here in the west, everything has to be super realistic to be deemed cool. Wether its fun to play or not.
That is exactly the reason why i also like JRPG's. Because they don't conform or limit themselves with portraying reality. They break barriers and go in ways you never would expect allowing you to experience something completely different (the good ones anyway).
Like i remember that there was some area on Tales of Hearts where water flowed backwards, reverse waterfalls and the sort. Did it make sense from a physics point of view? No. But thats why these world have magic and their own rules. Westerns want to conform and need a world they can conform to their notions of reality. Japanese just let their imaginations run wild and dont care about details.

Around the Network
Burek said:
My problem with JRPGs is that almost all of them are turn-based.
I find that boring and tedious, tried to play a few and always had to fight falling asleep of boredom.
It's not the only problem I have with them, but is the main one.

I also think that they all look the same, play the same and have the same story.

I gave them several chances, there is no chance I'll ever play one again.

Not all JRPGs are turn based and turn based gameplay has been out of favor for awhile. 

Halo and COD are no more plausible than dragon's dogma or final fantasy VII. I think it has more to do with differences in culture.

IgoRPGam3R said:
Areym said:
The JRPG genre has become stale. It's always the same tropes and cliches. With WRPGs, you have a wide variety of stories, settings, etc. You have Mass Effect with space exploration, Fallout with Post-apocalyptic, Dragon Age/Elder Scrolls with medieval/fantasy, Deus Ex with Futuristic, etc. WRPGs cover a wide range of locales and worlds while, as big a fan as I am of JRPGs, stay in the same realm of teens saving the world with the power of friendship.

As opposed too middle age, bearder, muscular man trying to unite all races to overcome powerfull evil that is threatening the world/universe and at the same time dealing with a lot of greedy politicians. That's basically story in 98% of WRPGs. At least in JRPGs with the same "teens saving the world" type of story i have story about parody of console wars, slice of life story and WW2. As for settings, JRPGs also have all that you mentioned: SciFi (Star Ocean, Xenoblade Chronicles X), fantasy (Fire Emblem, Tales of), post-apocalyptic (Shin Megami Tensei) and with that modern high school setting, JPOP and idol RPGs that you will never see in WRPGs. 

There is variety in JRPGs, sure, but I still stand that the cliches of JRPGs are much more apparent to gamers and I still stand by that WRPG are much more varied. One thing that personally has drawn to WRPGs is the open-world, nonlinear aspect of current WRPG franchises and all the decision/faction based aspect of it. Before I start to trip over my words, I think WRPGs generally do a better job of immersing gamers into their world with their heavier focus of exploration and being able to affect the world more impactfully (although some, like Mass Effect, are more of an illusion of choice) Some JRPGs that do a great job at this are Xenoblade and Star Ocean TTET, which are some of my favorite ones.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Aerys said:
foodfather said:

Stupid sounding character

Stupid looking character

I can only think to one character :

You are joking,right?

Marcus Fenix is one badass character just behind the Chief himself

Proud to be a Californian.

fielding88 said:
Burek said:
My problem with JRPGs is that almost all of them are turn-based.
I find that boring and tedious, tried to play a few and always had to fight falling asleep of boredom.
It's not the only problem I have with them, but is the main one.

I also think that they all look the same, play the same and have the same story.

I gave them several chances, there is no chance I'll ever play one again.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried really hard to get into them, especially on the Vita since there are so many on it and I'd have a trove of games to play, but I can't keep awake sometimes.

This, the original pokemons are the only turn based games I've ever gotten into.  It comes down to gameplay pure and simple.