By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Suspension of Disbelief(Why western fans dislike JRPG's)

What is the main reason Westerns dislike JRPGs?

Aesthetics 66 26.83%

Suspension of Disbelief 16 6.50%

Convoluted Stories 43 17.48%

Linearity 24 9.76%

They are simple not open minded.... 97 39.43%

Total:246

WRPGs are completely different than JRPGs in terms of gameplay, story-telling and art-style. WRPGs have more freedom & choices whereas JRPGs are more restricted, and the story is already pre-determined.

While I do like JRPGs, I do have my fair share of problems with them. The art-style in JRPGs has changed for the worse imo. I don't like the moe, cutesy, fanservice appeal most of the JRPGs are adopting. It's kind of a turn-off for me which is why I mainly stick with FF and SMT.

Also, they haven't really evolve in terms of gameplay. The Tales of games are pretty much the same for the past 10 years, and a lot of niche JRPGs like the Atelier series are still stuck in the past with a very basic turn-based system. It gets tiring playing a bunch of games that have the same battle system over and over, especially considering how long these types of games are. There's not much innovation, and not many are willing to take the risk.

Lastly, most of the story/characters are horribly written and sometimes end up convoluted. Look at Kingdom Hearts.

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
Aerys said:

Stupid sounding character

Stupid looking character

Even stupider dialogue from said characters.

Horrendous voice acting for said characters.

I can only think to one character :

You are joking,right?

Marcus Fenix is one badass character just behind the Chief himself

Are you serious ? It's the worst chara design and the most cliche " badass lol look at my big muscles and my big gun to make big explosions " ever, i understand why some people think games are stupid when they see this kind of stuff, it fits perfectly to moutain dew and duritos

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Why can't one like both Cloud Strife and Marcus Fenix? :p Both badasses.

Aerys said:
darkenergy said:

You are joking,right?

Marcus Fenix is one badass character just behind the Chief himself

Are you serious ? It's the worst chara design and the most cliche " badass lol look at my big muscles and my big gun to make big explosions " ever, i understand why some people think games are stupid when they see this kind of stuff, it fits perfectly to moutain dew and duritos

I think that's your opinion and not alot of people think that whether you like it or not.

Proud to be a Californian.

or because not everyone is a weeabo

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
Aerys said:

I think that's your opinion and not alot of people think that whether you like it or not.

I could say the same about japanese games since i was answering to a close minded guy to show him it's the same and even worse on our side using the same subjective  logic.

And i can say  that a lot of people definitely think the same, no matter what you believe, even reviewers often make fun of this chara design, big lack of subtility, you look for cliche in dictionnary and you find Marcus.

A badass western character not looking stupid is for example the heroe of Deus Ex.

batgod said:

or because not everyone is a weeabo

Or maybe the genre isn't really popular worldwide outside of Japan?

Aerys said:
darkenergy said:
Aerys said:

I could say the same about japanese games since i was answering to a close minded guy to show him it's the same and even worse on our side using the same subjective  logic.

And i can say  that a lot of people definitely think the same, no matter what you believe.

I don't remember anybody thinking Marcus is cliche but no matter, you believe what you believe and I believe in what I believe,end of conversation.

JRPG: Aims to tell you a history.
- Less choices, but allows for better character development.

WRPG: Invites you to live a history
- More choices, ways to express yourself (classes, races, hair color, .
- Less interpersonal relations

The truth is that those two things are different genres. The fact that we label them based on where they were made, something we never do with other genres, proves it. One of the biggest problems this generate is making consumers that like one of those two, expect a similar feeling from the other.

Also JRPG has dropped the ball big time in their narratives. The best of them, like Souls series or Monter Hunter, are actually Western RPGs made in japan, not JRPGs.

Well you are the first one telling me he is not cliche, i thought it was a fact for everyone since it's so obvious, , seriously, Gears of War is THE cliche of Hypermasculine stereotypes/machoman ridiculousness with over-exaggerated testosterone, i dont understand how someone couldnt see that... maybe i'll make a poll on that to get the opinion of the majority here