By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is now the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner?

Nope. Gamecube days felt worse to me.

Around the Network

Nope. Splatoon just came out recently. Starfox, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, and Yoshi's Woolly World will be coming this year. Don't forget that we're still playing Smash and Mario Kart.

I don't know about next year but we still have FE X SMT and Zelda even if they don't announce anything.

beeing a sony/microsoft/pc owner is way better. only 2014 was great time for wii u

midrange said:
Soundwave said:

No. I would say Wii was worse. Unless you actually liked fitness, party crap games, or can't play video games for sh*t and need everything dumbed down to the nth degree. 

Splatoon is better than any new idea Nintendo came up with on the Wii if you're actually a GAMER. Mario Kart 8 is far better than Mario Kart Wii. Smash U is better than Smash Wii. Mario Galaxy is better than Mario 3D World ... but not by as much as people think (especially the second half of Mario 3D World). DKC: Tropical Freeze is better than DKC Returns. NSMBU + NSLU is better than NSMB Wii. 

Metroid Prime 3, ok, but Wii U has Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Xenoblade X (with no petition needed). 

Super Mario Maker looks incredible.

Star Fox is coming back.

I think there's a lot to like right now.

It's also nice to finally have Nintendo games that don't like crap on an HDTV set. Nintendo games translate so well to HD graphics, it really is a crime we had to wait six years to get here. 

But wii still had twilight princess, skyward sword, mario galaxy 2, metroid prime, xenoblade, last story, pandora's tower,...

It also seemed to have the same and more out of third party.The wii may not have been the core system for gamers, but it did have more games that appealed to a wider audience. Of course the wii u still has a year or two, but at this point, the library is nowhere near the wii's

However, this is all off point. This thread is to compare this moment (splatoon and upcoming games) to previous moments, and not the entire wii u library as I have mentioned that I am not trying to compare consoles.

Twilight Princess is a GameCube game that Nintendo added some half ass motion controls to. 

Skyward Sword and Xenoblade and Last Story also did not come out until extremely late in the Wii's lifecycle, if we're comparing point to point in the two life cycles, IMO Wii U is better for NINTENDO games by this year end when Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero, and Xenoblade are factored in to where Wii was at the end of 2009. 

It's Splatoon, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash U, Xenoblade X, Bayonetta 1/2, Super Mario Maker, NSMBU + NSLU, LEGO City, Star Fox Zero, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Captain Toad, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Yoshi's Wooly World, Devil's Third, Fatal Frame V, Mario Tennis U

versus

Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Punch-Out!, Excite Truck, Metroid Prime 3, Endless Ocean, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Brawl, Fire Emblem, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Battallion Wars 2, Mario Strikes Charged, Link's Crossbow Training, Animal Crossing

If we're excluding party/casual games. 

IMO Wii U wins through the first three years, the big difference in Zelda, but really the Wii kinda "cheated" there by simply just repurposing a GameCube game and passing it off as a launch game. 

midrange said:
Dusk said:
Nope.
I would actually say the opposite. Don't let E3 fool you, it was bad without doubt. There are a good bunch of great looking games coming out between now and the end of the year for the Wii U and 3DS.
2016 is an enigma at this point. It's very unknown with the exception of Zelda U. Since Nintendo stressed so much that E3 was about what is going to be releasing this year and early next year that leaves the rest of 2016 an empty slate.
Wii Music (08) was a really bad time to be a Nintendo gamer.... There wasn't much of anything else out at that time and Miyamoto had taken shrooms or something to think that game was not going to flop.

Interesting, it seems like 08 was worse than I thought (I didnt really follow Nintendo too much then)

Also, please know that I am specifically referring to home console. The 3ds may not be in its prime, but it is certainly better than during its launch.

It's actually the Wii U that really seems to have the heavy hitters coming to bat for the rest of this year. It's actually really exciting. At least for me lol.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

NO man, i have a lot of amazing games in my backlog and a lot more coming.

midrange said:
Goodnightmoon said:
The worst time? Man, in the next months are coming:

Yoshi Woolly World

Star Fox Zero

Super Mario Maker

Fatal Frame V

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes

Fast Racing Neo

All in 5/6 months

And next year we know about:

- Fire emblem fates

- SMT X FE

- Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

- Zelda U

No, is not the worst moment to be a Nintendo owner.

Well, can you give an example of a worse time and why?

Of course, the last years of GC and Wii were worse, they had a slowly dead, WiiU could be dead right now, but it has a ton of great games coming and 3Ds is still very alive.

Also 2011 looked like a pretty bad year for the Wii in terms of Nintendo published titles

Mario Sports Mix
Wii Play: Motion
Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Fortune Street
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Just Dance Wii (Japan only)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Europe and Australia only)

Splatoon just came out, so nope!

We dont even know the game line up for 2016 except zelda Wii U, and Shin megami tensei X fire emblem, so you people really think there will only be 2 Wii U games next year?