By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is now the worst time to be a Nintendo console owner?

At least we have games to play, like Splatoon.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Don't think so, no. I now have Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. and Splatoon to take care of my multiplayer/online fix; I have a rather decent collection of games to pick from, and there are quite a few upcoming games (X, Mario Maker, Yoshi, Star Fox, etc.) I'm looking forward too. It was way worse during the days of N64 and Gamecube.

It's not that bad really.  There are quite a few worthwhile games coming out this year starting with Splatoon which has already reached.  I remember times back when I was Nintendo only where it seemed like nothing worthwhile was released for a year but i'm also pretty picky.  Wii had lots of games but often there were major gaps with nothing truely worth playing imo.  Off the top of my head..  Splatoon, Star Fox, Devil's Third, Yoshi, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Kirby, and Mario Tennis...  not a bad year of wiiu games which i would actually want to play.

spurgeonryan said:
No, the worst was when the N64 had to compete with the Psone

Nah. I had both. You have to remember that while yes, N64 got it's asses handed to it sales wise, that was the console that gave birth to SM64, OOT, MM, 007... it had some games on it that completely changed gaming and revolutionzied the industry. 

I'd say the worst time to be a console owner was the Gamecube era. Compared to the N64 titles, most of Nintendo games like Sunshine and Double Dash were no where near as amazing. There were a few gems like Metroid Prime and SSBM, but for the most part, it was rough.

It was a worst time way before E3.

Around the Network

In terms of first-party games Nintendo excels, it is the third-party section where the Wii U isn't doing as well.

I don't understand this notion.

If you buy a Nintendo system, you get access to the best 1st party library every gen.

If you're eager to play some 3rd party games in addition, I recommend to play them on PC. Steam makes PC gaming feel more and more like a PC/console hybrid anyway, with more and more Japanese games coming (e.g. Tales of Zestiria) and with the by far best library of western games on any system. I play all my multiplats on TV hooked to my PC with an X360 controller.

So no, it has never been a bad time to own a Nintendo system.

It's not only the system with the best exclusives every gen, it's also the only system which never (or only very rarely) loses the "true exclusive" status of their titles.

I think now is the best, so many great game to play. Yes I'm disappointed that I'm likely not getting a metroid or animal crossing game on console, but other wise its been great!

Only in terms of major third party content.

Among their Nintendo offerings, they haven't been this good quality and diversity since the early days of the GC among home consoles. Although at this point if you are a Nintendo fan and have yet to get a version of the 3DS you are missing out as with the device unlike in the previous era, you are missing out on more then half of Nintendo's best games/releases.