By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

Ta Dolla.
I hope we get Canada numbers a little sooner than usual, partly so we can engrave them onto leo-J, and partly because everyone gets all excited about the US numbers and all the hype is gone once we can finally compare VGC and NPD reasonably (ok minus Mexico)

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand?  And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360?  Umm cool I guess.

once again, they are celebrating the console side, it's hard to say anything yet about software, but it's coming. But congrats on winning feb, right

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
MikeB said:
mrstickball said:
But again, we go into the fact that the X360 userbase bought a huge bit more than the PS3 did in the games department: despite the fact the PS3 has a ratio of 2.5:1 for console install base in the US, the top-10 is littered with X360 games and not with PS3 games.

The 360 already had sequels to all the games which were most popular on the original XBox. Gears was a new franchise and the total sales worldwide are just above 4.5 million (including bundle sales, CliffyB didn't specify if this includes PC sales, but let's assume not)

On the other hand you have the PS3 which saw meanly new franchices being introduced, considering install base Motorstorm with over 3 million sales and Resistance with over 2.5 million sales performed remarkably for launch title new franchices. Gears was released later on during the 360 lifecycle with many people buying the console for shooters or anticipated shooters like Halo.

The more anticipated PS3 games are yet to be released, many of them hitting this year! The PS3 will do very well in the US this year, actually it already performs quite well. There are still many millions of XBox owners who still haven't upgraded to a 360 yet, despite all the major XBox games are on there and the platform being discontinued for years. I really think once most of them upgraded 360 sales are going to hit a wall.

The only reason Motorstorm and Resistance are where they're at is because they were pack-in games.

Legend11 said:
MikeB said:
mrstickball said:
But again, we go into the fact that the X360 userbase bought a huge bit more than the PS3 did in the games department: despite the fact the PS3 has a ratio of 2.5:1 for console install base in the US, the top-10 is littered with X360 games and not with PS3 games.

The 360 already had sequels to all the games which were most popular on the original XBox. Gears was a new franchise and the total sales worldwide are just above 4.5 million (including bundle sales, CliffyB didn't specify if this includes PC sales, but let's assume not)

On the other hand you have the PS3 which saw meanly new franchices being introduced, considering install base Motorstorm with over 3 million sales and Resistance with over 2.5 million sales performed remarkably for launch title new franchices. Gears was released later on during the 360 lifecycle with many people buying the console for shooters or anticipated shooters like Halo.

The more anticipated PS3 games are yet to be released, many of them hitting this year! The PS3 will do very well in the US this year, actually it already performs quite well. There are still many millions of XBox owners who still haven't upgraded to a 360 yet, despite all the major XBox games are on there and the platform being discontinued for years. I really think once most of them upgraded 360 sales are going to hit a wall.

The only reason Motorstorm and Resistance are where they're at is because they were pack-in games.

Resistance did make a million before bundled.

mM
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand?  And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360?  Umm cool I guess.

This reminds me of Fishy Joe's sig, I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, cherry picking. 

If you cherry pick the top 10 then yes, it makes the 360 look a whole lot better than the PS3 software wise. If you look at Vgchartz's software numbers for this week in NA (360: 1240K, PS3: 593K), its exactly what you would expect given the install base for each console.

I don't see any celebrating about software sales from PS3 fans. Most were just surprised to see that the DMC4 sales were so similar on each console given the install bases.

You never used to be so bitter and hateful towards the PS3. When I first signed up to this site, you were one of my favourite posters. Over the past couple of months though you have changed for the worse. Hopefully we will be seeing the old Legend11 back again soon. 

Around the Network
bigjon said:
looks like I was right about VGC overtracking PS3 because they over adjusted for PS3 sales...

Great month overall. I can't wait to see nintendo's fiscals in a few weeks.

We can't really how much a system is undertracked/overtracked until Canada. However, it seems the PS3, 360, and Wii all were overtracked.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

True but you can't argue that making software pack-ins sells more than had they not been pack-ins. Gears of War was never a pack-in and yet MikeB is comparing it to 2 PS3 games that were.

DS and Wii ownage has continued. Oh makes everyone else look meh. But I think this confirms my previous note that hardware wise for February we were completely stirred by January numbers and let that sidetrack us. No one looks at the trends anymore.

he's bitter because his beloved console is finally showing sign of trouble in its home base. i'm sorry man.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand? And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360? Umm cool I guess.

This reminds me of Fishy Joe's sig, I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, cherry picking.

If you cherry pick the top 10 then yes, it makes the 360 look a whole lot better than the PS3 software wise. If you look at Vgchartz's software numbers for this week in NA (360: 1240K, PS3: 593K), its exactly what you would expect given the install base for each console.

I don't see any celebrating about software sales from PS3 fans. Most were just surprised to see that the DMC4 sales were so similar on each console given the install bases.

You never used to be so bitter and hateful towards the PS3. When I first signed up to this site, you were one of my favourite posters. Over the past couple of months though you have changed for the worse. Hopefully we will be seeing the old Legend11 back again soon.

Oh I see, so if I add up all the games in the top 10 I'm cherry picking but if someone picks out one particular game and ignores others like Call of Duty 4, etc, they're not.