By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

ioi said:
I'm not sure about DMC 4, I have a hard time tying up NPDs 550k sold (NPD US Ps3+360) with Capcoms 2m shipped (worldwide PS3+360) announcement last month.

Taking into account Japan and maybe even if we are a little low in Europe/Others that would still put you at something like 1.1m sold vs 2m shipped after 2 weeks which seems a little odd for such a frontloaded game. I'm not in any rush to change our figures, put it that way.

Too bad they combine the two and don't break up their ship figures. That would give you a better idea of how the two are selling

Around the Network

I used to say, that I came here because the numbers were fun to look at. They still are, but I am beginning to think the vgchartz is more accurate than NPD with those DS numbers and DMC4 numbers.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

mrstickball said:
Woooooooooo! Lost Odyssey sells great! VGC undertracked it! Wow! Great for MS and Mistwaker, that a JRPG on a next-gen system has FINALLY cracked the top-10!

It was undertracked by what 15-20k?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Darth, of course they do. But the problem is that MikeB and others just naturally assume that the PS3 version is going to somehow sell like what DMC4 just did........And totally throw out the natural inclination of the userbase.

It's like saying that First Person shooters don't sell well on the X360 - the hardcore userbase of the X360 is more than likely made up (to some ratio) of Xbox owners that were FPS-heavy gamers....Thus why FPS games tend to do above-average on the X360. What kind of users play on the PS3? It seems that no one is willing to ask, or answer that question: but it seems that people that were hardcore PS2 owners are currently the ones inside that 4.2m US userbase currently....

But then, when we talk GTA, we're not talking about a game that plays to the X360's userbase's weakness unlike DMC4 - the X360's userbase is very 'ripe' to buy and play a day-and-date GTA game with exclusive content - moreso than the PS3 userbase. Go look at the numbers: sandbox games on the 360 have done rather well, despite not being the greatest (Crackdown, Saints Row).

Outlawuron - VGC is about 8k off when it comes to US NPD data vs. VGC data alone. Canada should add about 8% to that number, making VGC off by around 25,000 units. Not alot to call foul, but considering VGC overtracked Blue Dragon's first week by about 40,000 units.......It's a good thing :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand?  And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360?  Umm cool I guess.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
leo-J:

If anything, that proves that the PS3 userbase consists of hardcore users that bought PS2s, and loved the DMC series, and other PS2 offerings, whereas the X360 userbase isn't consisting of PS2 fanboys.

Still, the fact is, the X360 version sold better, despite no brand regognition of the product whatsoever. What if FF13 sold better on the X360 in the same manner? What would that prove to you?

Mrstickball

The likely hood the 360 version would outsell the PS3 version was there all along, the 360 has more than double the consoles sold than the PS3 in the U.S, therefore you'd have to expect the 360 to outsell its competitor with a much larger install base in that region. Though it was close.

mM

so the PS3 is more like 79k ahead of the 360 in sales? I wasnt expecting that for another few weeks.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

mrstickball said:
leo-J:

If anything, that proves that the PS3 userbase consists of hardcore users that bought PS2s, and loved the DMC series, and other PS2 offerings, whereas the X360 userbase isn't consisting of PS2 fanboys.

Still, the fact is, the X360 version sold better, despite no brand regognition of the product whatsoever. What if FF13 sold better on the X360 in the same manner? What would that prove to you?

Im sorry but is this just absolutely absurd to anyone else? THE INSTALL BASE IS ALMOST 3x MORE! Was this an issue with Guitar Hero? But it was on the PS2 and not on the 360 am I right? What your seeing is what we've been saying all along. THE 360 IS A SHOOTER CONSOLE. DMC4 sold like that because 360 fans are the same people who bought the 360 last generation for Halo. 

You saw it with Bioshock, you saw it with Mass Effect, and your seeing it again with DMC4. Why dodge what is clearly happening here? The PS2 fanbase isnt going over to the Xbox360, as stickball just stated. It will sell the major titles that everyone likes (GH, Rockband, GTA, Madden), it will sell major shooters THAT HAVE ONLINE MP. Its last gen's xbox that gathered a fanbase faster because of Halo's release.

I just cant believe your letting the fact that it was on the PS2 to overshadow the nearly 3:1 fanbase. If you go back and think about it logically you know that what your saying is just plain laughable. 

Once again NPD is quite close in Hardware numbers... you should watch out ioi they might become a worthy opponent.

----

Can someone confirm for me which weeks NPD tracked for February, because I wasn't sure if it was 4 weeks anding March 1st, or 4 weeks ending 23rd February.

ssj12 said:
so the PS3 is more like 79k ahead of the 360 in sales? I wasnt expecting that for another few weeks.

It's 26.2K ahead for the U.S. according to NPD, where did you get the 79K from?

*Edit: Oops nevermind you're talking Worldwide...