By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

TWRoO said:
Once again NPD is quite close in Hardware numbers... you should watch out ioi they might become a worthy opponent.

----

Can someone confirm for me which weeks NPD tracked for February, because I wasn't sure if it was 4 weeks anding March 1st, or 4 weeks ending 23rd February.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=898

The release will cover videogame sales for February 3rd 2008 to March 1st 2008 in the USA.

Around the Network

No.............

Why are you assuming that it means merely that the X360 userbase alone is the one thats skewed? More than likely it means that both are skewed: the PS3 fared stronger on DMC4, and the X360 weaker, causing them to be oh-so close.

And like you said yourself, Jandre, it wasn't a problem with a casual game like Guitar Hero. So maybe then it does mean that the PS3 userbase is more hardcore, and willing to buy old PS2 exclusives, as opposed to new IPs like Rock Band, or other neutral IPs like Madden (which the X360 killed the PS3 at).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@legend11

I think he means last month + this month

as in 79K ahead for 08..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

looks like I was right about VGC overtracking PS3 because they over adjusted for PS3 sales...

Great month overall. I can't wait to see nintendo's fiscals in a few weeks.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

oh he meant worldwide....right

Around the Network

@bigjion

I think if you add Canda it is within 10%

mrstickball said:
But again, we go into the fact that the X360 userbase bought a huge bit more than the PS3 did in the games department: despite the fact the PS3 has a ratio of 2.5:1 for console install base in the US, the top-10 is littered with X360 games and not with PS3 games.

The 360 already had sequels to all the games which were most popular on the original XBox. Gears was a new franchise and the total sales worldwide are just above 4.5 million (including bundle sales, CliffyB didn't specify if this includes PC sales, but let's assume not)

On the other hand you have the PS3 which saw meanly new franchices being introduced, considering install base Motorstorm with over 3 million sales and Resistance with over 2.5 million sales performed remarkably for launch title new franchices. Gears was released later on during the 360 lifecycle with many people buying the console for shooters or anticipated shooters like Halo.

The most anticipated PS3 games are yet to be released, many of them hitting this year! The PS3 will do very well in the US this year, actually it already performs quite well. There are still many millions of XBox owners who still haven't upgraded to a 360 yet, despite all the major XBox games are on there and the platform being discontinued for years. I really think once most of them upgraded 360 sales are going to hit a wall.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

On a separate note, Activision has now sold more than seven million copies of Guitar Hero III stateside across all platforms since the game released last October. The Wii build alone is on its way to selling two million copies. - IGN

:-O

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

celine said:
NR Dragon Quest Sword (Wii) 15,000
NR WipeOut Pulse (PSP) 10,000

Ouch. Bad sales for both games. Overtracked DQ:S by 40k.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

MikeB -

Yet the X360 has always, since launch, outsold the Xbox.....So I dont forsee X360 sales hitting a wall due to conversions.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.