By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

Legend11 said:
Well Microsoft has already hinted at that.. You should put something on the line and make a real prediction.. How about predicting PS3>360 in April and if you lose you want to be banned for a week.

Hows about PS3>360 in June ;)

Around the Network

@krik: ioi said that because everyone was howling about VGC over-tracking DS for January compared to NPD's numbers. He said then that VGC may have over-tracked the DS, but he thought NPD under-tracked it. If I'm not mistaken, before the numbers were released he stated that he thought the NPD would compensate with large DS numbers for February...do you not realize how insane 587k DS units selling in February in America with no significant software releases is?

TheSource addresses the DMC4 differences in his article.

The 360 differences have also been talked about, as just about any hardware/software discrepancies in the past have been. It's possible the many of ioi's sources lean more toward the 360, just as it's possible that many of the NPD's lean toward now-intensive PS3 sources. He also said the some of his sources only provide monthly data, and that higher PS3 sales were evident when he received that data(with regards to Jan). He can make adjustments to the formula in the mean time, but there is no way to magically have a concrete formula that predicts a widespread, shifting market to a tee.

Last but not least, VGC's isn't here to predict NPD data. The NPD, like any source of information, is used as a sort of barometer. VGC also gets some info from publishers, so you should stop acting like VGC is blindly flailing for 360 and Wii biased numbers. I'm glad he puts out the data in the most accurate way possible with the sources he has at the time, then adjust later when he receives monthly data(from some sources) and talks to publishers.

If the NPD(who also adjusts and retrofits their numbers) is the beginning and end of all NA sales data in your mind, why are you even here?

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

According to this thread the gap between PS3 and XBox 360 was actually 26.2 k. 280.8k PS3 sold in the NA during February compared 254.6k XBox 360 sold in NA during February. VGCahrtz reported that the gap was only 3k in favour of PS3 259k V 256k.
Not far off.
http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=168708#comment_1283097comment_1283098

TheSource said:

Anyone who says NDP is completely idiotic.

NPD stands for National Purchase Diary.

What is NDP? It sure as hell doesn't mean National Diary Purchase

Anyone? I can think of at least four awful acronymns that could be used to descibe those who say it.

Thanks for letting me know. Still don't think that makes me a complete idiot. At least I'm not playing with console sales numbers and pretend to be neutral while wearing a Wii shirt.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Actually, I had my PS3 boxers on and my Xbox 360 pants and my left sock said PSP while my right sock said DS and my belt said PS2 but the stupid camera man couldn't fit my entire body into the shot because I was at a desk.

Come on.  Wii would have outsold PS3 and 360 regardless of what shirt I wear and you'd think it was great if I was wearing a PS3 shirt.  I just write about the sales we get from our samples.  If you really want to change it put us in contact with more data. 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
TheSource said:

Actually, I had my PS3 boxers on and my Xbox 360 pants and my left sock said PSP while my right sock said DS and my belt said PS2 but the stupid camera man couldn't fit my entire body into the shot because I was at a desk.

Come on. Wii would have outsold PS3 and 360 regardless of what shirt I wear and you'd think it was great if I was wearing a PS3 shirt. I just write about the sales we get from our samples. If you really want to change it put us in contact with more data.

You made me laugh... lol 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

TheSource said:

Come on. Wii would have outsold PS3 and 360 regardless of what shirt I wear and you'd think it was great if I was wearing a PS3 shirt. I just write about the sales we get from our samples. If you really want to change it put us in contact with more data.

So you have a PS2 belt, but no clothes representative of the Gamecube or the Xbox? I hereby cry wolf on your partiality.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
TheSource said:

So you have a PS2 belt, but no clothes representative of the Gamecube or the Xbox? I hereby cry wolf on your partiality.

TheSource = tehBiased confirmed!