By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

In all seriousness, why are people suggesting that GTAIV 360 outselling the PS3 version will be a surprise? I dont care about past trends, any logical person can see its a case of PURE NUMBERS.

The fact that DMC4 sold so well proportionally on the PS3 to the 360 is merely indicativey of the 360 having had more releases this month, specifically games such as Lost Odyssey which are quite high profile amongst any 360 owner I know personally.

Its impossible to try and surmise the tendencies of a particular consoles fanbase due to the sales of one game...Just accept that either the PS3 version sold very well or the 360 version underperformed, theres no use using the sales of DMC4 to predict the sales of GTAIV, which, I reiterate, will be substantially higher, in the US especially, on the 360 due to PURE NUMBERS.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
psrock said:
he's bitter because his beloved console is finally showing sign of trouble in its home base. i'm sorry man.

Trouble? It still sold more this year than last year. I'm happy with it's sales, especially software since it guarantees more great software on the system. And as for Devil May Cry 4, I find it pretty ridiculous that PS3 gamers are trying to make a big deal out of a game in which the first three installments didn't even appear on the Xbox. I think it's doing pretty well on the 360 given that fact.  I also find it funny that people are comparing it to Grand Theft Auto 4, I mean how many 360 gamers were even excited and waiting for Devil May Cry 4?  Far far far less than Grand Theft Auto 4 that's for sure.

tell me the truth, did you expect the ps3 to outsell the 360 three months in row this year? and i'm amazed how much you guys are putting your hopes on gta like its an xbox exclusives. ps3 fans will buy it too.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

yea its like 360 fans are pinning all hopes on GTAIV....

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Legend11 said:
tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand? And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360? Umm cool I guess.

This reminds me of Fishy Joe's sig, I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, cherry picking.

If you cherry pick the top 10 then yes, it makes the 360 look a whole lot better than the PS3 software wise. If you look at Vgchartz's software numbers for this week in NA (360: 1240K, PS3: 593K), its exactly what you would expect given the install base for each console.

I don't see any celebrating about software sales from PS3 fans. Most were just surprised to see that the DMC4 sales were so similar on each console given the install bases.

You never used to be so bitter and hateful towards the PS3. When I first signed up to this site, you were one of my favourite posters. Over the past couple of months though you have changed for the worse. Hopefully we will be seeing the old Legend11 back again soon.

Oh I see, so if I add up all the games in the top 10 I'm cherry picking but if someone picks out one particular game and ignores others like Call of Duty 4, etc, they're not.

Yes, just counting the top ten and ignoring the rest is cherry picking.

CoD4 is pretty much following the install base. CoD4 on 360 has sold roughly 3 times as much as on PS3. The 360 install base is roughly 3 times as much as the PS3's. I think people were surprised about DMC4 also, because NPD data and Vgchartz data is so different. Vgchartz has the 360 version of DMC4 almost double the PS3 version, while NPD has them much closer.

And picking a franchise title in which the first three games in the series only appeared on Playstation consoles and comparing sales of the game between the PS3 and 360 is not cherry picking to you?  What about Madden, Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3,  and Assassin's Creed?  We ignore them for one reason or another but the reason I gave for DMC4 isn't good enough?

Nobody is saying that PS3 is doing better than the 360 software sales wise because of DMC4 though. The only reason it has been singled out is because of the very large difference in NPD and VGC data for the game. 

You on the other-hand, took the top 10 software sales for the month, which makes it look like the 360 is selling 5 times as much software (360: 1.15M, PS3: 233K) which it isn't. Do you see the difference?  

FishyJoe said:
Am I the only one dumbfounded by the DS numbers? If you add in Canada, the DS numbers are probably well above 650k in February!!!!

I repeat, over 650k in February!!!

It managed 648k last February by VGC

not sure about NPD... but I'm not sure I trust them anymore... well at least not the free ones we get, I'm sure the paying customers get told about all the updates and have the accurate past numbers, but what we get seems to be like what The Sources Japan Preview.
It's pretty obvious that they must update old numbers like VGC, except we don't get to know...because that explains the vast differences between the number of Wiis/DS shipped to America, and the tally of NPD monthly.

Perhaps if Sony and MS actually seperated each regions shipments we might see similar discrepancies with those consoles too.

Around the Network

Edit: It's not worth arguing with some people.  Every console did well and improved on past performance :)

Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand? And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360? Umm cool I guess.

Reading comprehension? Try it out some time.

I'm also amazed at Guitar Hero Wii still being top 5 after all this time. Rock Band is doing well, but they are really missing out by not having the Wii version yet.

URNotE said:
i think the sales of DMC4 can give us a little insight as to how GTAIV is gonna sell between ps3 and 360.... looking at those numbers i dont think the 360 version is gonna obliterate the ps3 version as many predict...

Obliterate? I dunno about that. I don't think it will be at all similar to the DMC4 ratio, however. I expect GTA IV to track very similarly to Assassin's Creed (in ratios - GTA will obviously sell more copies).

Assassin's Creed figures: Worldwide, the 360 leads at a 1.5:1 ratio at 3.51 million to 2. 34 million.

However, the ratio is higher in America, where the 360 leads at a 2.4:1 ratio at 2.3 million to .96 million. The ratio for GTA IV might be better than that by a slight margin because GTA is still thought of by many as a Playstation brand.

GTA will sell better on the 360 in America and better on the PS3 in Europe and the larger install base in America will lead to higher overall sales for the 360 version with the PS3 version still posting very respectable numbers.

DMeisterJ said:
ioi said:
Look at those DS numbers! Undertracked in Jan, anyone?

I don't get it?

[maybe i'm slow]

He's suggesting NPD undertracked the DS last month due to the info he got via nintendo on their shipments, as such NPD is correcting it in the next month to cover their asses. 

Like how Medicrate and Famitsu do week to week.