By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The official NPD February 2008 thread

But I also once again agree that NPD's software is off and that the real numbers are somewhere in between ours and theirs.

Around the Network

Am I the only one dumbfounded by the DS numbers? If you add in Canada, the DS numbers are probably well above 650k in February!!!!

I repeat, over 650k in February!!!

mrstickball said:
MikeB -

Yet the X360 has always, since launch, outsold the Xbox.....So I dont forsee X360 sales hitting a wall due to conversions.

Media hype, the rate at which sequels were pumped out, vivid XBox fans, RRoD, many different models, HD DVD, lack of HD competition, etc, etc may all play a factor (but according to analysts about 90% of 360 owners were XBox owners). Regarding Europe 360 shipments for 2007 already dropped compared to 2006, competition with the PS3 will heat up this year for the US as well.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

psrock said:
he's bitter because his beloved console is finally showing sign of trouble in its home base. i'm sorry man.

Trouble? It still sold more this year than last year. I'm happy with it's sales, especially software since it guarantees more great software on the system. And as for Devil May Cry 4, I find it pretty ridiculous that PS3 gamers are trying to make a big deal out of a game in which the first three installments didn't even appear on the Xbox. I think it's doing pretty well on the 360 given that fact.  I also find it funny that people are comparing it to Grand Theft Auto 4, I mean how many 360 gamers were even excited and waiting for Devil May Cry 4?  Far far far less than Grand Theft Auto 4 that's for sure.

Legend11 said:
tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand? And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360? Umm cool I guess.

This reminds me of Fishy Joe's sig, I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, cherry picking.

If you cherry pick the top 10 then yes, it makes the 360 look a whole lot better than the PS3 software wise. If you look at Vgchartz's software numbers for this week in NA (360: 1240K, PS3: 593K), its exactly what you would expect given the install base for each console.

I don't see any celebrating about software sales from PS3 fans. Most were just surprised to see that the DMC4 sales were so similar on each console given the install bases.

You never used to be so bitter and hateful towards the PS3. When I first signed up to this site, you were one of my favourite posters. Over the past couple of months though you have changed for the worse. Hopefully we will be seeing the old Legend11 back again soon.

Oh I see, so if I add up all the games in the top 10 I'm cherry picking but if someone picks out one particular game and ignores others like Call of Duty 4, etc, they're not. 

Yes, just counting the top ten and ignoring the rest is cherry picking.

CoD4 is pretty much following the install base. CoD4 on 360 has sold roughly 3 times as much as on PS3. The 360 install base is roughly 3 times as much as the PS3's. I think people were surprised about DMC4 also, because NPD data and Vgchartz data is so different. Vgchartz has the 360 version of DMC4 almost double the PS3 version, while NPD has them much closer.

Around the Network

Well Microsoft has already hinted at that.. You should put something on the line and make a real prediction.. How about predicting PS3>360 in April and if you lose you want to be banned for a week.

i think the sales of DMC4 can give us a little insight as to how GTAIV is gonna sell between ps3 and 360.... looking at those numbers i dont think the 360 version is gonna obliterate the ps3 version as many predict...

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
tombi123 said:
Legend11 said:
So the 360 has over 1.15 million games sold in the top 10 and the PS3 has 233 thousand? And some PS3 fans are celebrating the 233 thousand as some kind of victory over the 360? Umm cool I guess.

This reminds me of Fishy Joe's sig, I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, cherry picking.

If you cherry pick the top 10 then yes, it makes the 360 look a whole lot better than the PS3 software wise. If you look at Vgchartz's software numbers for this week in NA (360: 1240K, PS3: 593K), its exactly what you would expect given the install base for each console.

I don't see any celebrating about software sales from PS3 fans. Most were just surprised to see that the DMC4 sales were so similar on each console given the install bases.

You never used to be so bitter and hateful towards the PS3. When I first signed up to this site, you were one of my favourite posters. Over the past couple of months though you have changed for the worse. Hopefully we will be seeing the old Legend11 back again soon.

Oh I see, so if I add up all the games in the top 10 I'm cherry picking but if someone picks out one particular game and ignores others like Call of Duty 4, etc, they're not.

Yes, just counting the top ten and ignoring the rest is cherry picking.

CoD4 is pretty much following the install base. CoD4 on 360 has sold roughly 3 times as much as on PS3. The 360 install base is roughly 3 times as much as the PS3's. I think people were surprised about DMC4 also, because NPD data and Vgchartz data is so different. Vgchartz has the 360 version of DMC4 almost double the PS3 version, while NPD has them much closer.

And picking a franchise title in which the first three games in the series only appeared on Playstation consoles and comparing sales of the game between the PS3 and 360 is not cherry picking to you?  What about Madden, Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3,  and Assassin's Creed?  We ignore them for one reason or another but the reason I gave for DMC4 isn't good enough?

@Legend:

This comparision isn't fair. And it isn't very smart too. You can just take games from top 10 and simply add them up when X360 has big advantage over PS3. Your comparision would be good if you took first 10 X360 games and first 10 PS3 games.
If for every X360 game there was a PS3 game that sold half as many unit as this X360 game (which is optimistic assumption for PS3) than PS3 would have been selling 50% of what X360 is but any of those games would be in top 10 (first one would sell 148k, half of CoD4 for X360). So a platform selling half as many software as X360 with the same distribution would have no games in top 10. But PS3 still has 1.
I'm not saying that PS3 sales half of what X360 sales but NPD data doesn't prove otherwise and if PS3 indeed was selling half as many software as X360 than it would be natural to expect no PS3 games in top 10.

Legend11 said:
psrock said:
he's bitter because his beloved console is finally showing sign of trouble in its home base. i'm sorry man.

Trouble? It still sold more this year than last year. I'm happy with it's sales, especially software since it guarantees more great software on the system. And as for Devil May Cry 4, I find it pretty ridiculous that PS3 gamers are trying to make a big deal out of a game in which the first three installments didn't even appear on the Xbox. I think it's doing pretty well on the 360 given that fact.  I also find it funny that people are comparing it to Grand Theft Auto 4, I mean how many 360 gamers were even excited and waiting for Devil May Cry 4?  Far far far less than Grand Theft Auto 4 that's for sure.

You could also say that far far far less PS3 fans where looking forward to DMC4 than GTA4 :) 

Personal I think GTA4 will sell 2:1 in 360 favour in NA and not follow the DMC4 path. I think this is because GTA4 is casual, DMC4 is one of the most hardcore games. So hardcore PS fans bought a PS3 to play games like DMC4. GTA4 is more casual, so it will more likely sell according to install base.