By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Super Smash Bros DLC prices are ridiculous

Are the prices to high?

Yes 92 69.70%

No 40 30.30%

Total:132

So we got 3 new character but they are DAMN expensive. Not only damn expensive but "EA expensive".

Whats wrong with nintendo?

I just did some calculation to show you how really RIDICULOUS these prices are compared to mario kart 8 dlcs..

The Main thing in Super Smash Bros are the fighters. You got stages and co, yeah, but the main thing is each individual fighter.

Adapted to Mario Kart 8, the main thing are the courses. You got drivers and co, yeah, but main thing are definitly the courses.

Super Smash Bros Wii U was sold for 50€ on launch and Mario Kart 8 too.

You got 55 Fighters in Smash bros for that price and 32 Courses in Mario Kart.

Thats 1,5€ per course in mario kart and 0,9€ per fighter in smash bros.

Mario kart 8 Dlcs gave you 16 new courses for 12€. That 0,75€ for each new course. Thats a decrease of around 20% to full game prices.

Smash Bros Wii U gave you new Fighters for 4€ each. Thats a increase of aorund around 420% to full game prices.

If you adapt the Super smash bros price increase to mario kart 8, each single course of mk8 would be ~6€!!!! That means the mario kart 8 dlcs would be ~100€ in "super smash bros prices"!!

Thats ridicoulus isnt it?

I hope nobody will buy those overpriced fighters and support nintendo in becoming the new EA.

EDIT: Just somethin got into my head. Im not very good at smash but as far as i know good/semi professional players to need to know exactly how to play each fighter to counter them. So if you dont buy the dlcs you will even have some kind of disadvantage in online. This is even pay2win. 

Around the Network

the Mii fighters should just be $0.50. and Lucas, Ryu and Roy should just be bundled into $.499. but that is how they are priced and maybe those are modeled with other fighting games?

i'll wait if there would be bundled prices. like i've mentioned before, i'll go only for Ryu if i'll buy any DLC characters. I didn't pay to MewTwo since I have both versions for Wii U and 3Ds.

Ok, here is why its expensive.... At least to many people.......

~Nobody Comparing it to other fighters DLC prices and SSB will have alot more than the NORM
~Characters are just expensive to make (Fighting Games)
~People Compare it to MK8 DLC.

As the 3rd point stands, i never understood it. It seems like the biggest reason to rag on SSB Price DLC. MK8 DLC is probably one of the best DLC deals in pricing+content of all time. Any DLC in general barely lives up to it.

I DO Find it funny that if MK8 DLC never existed would SSB DLC be that more expensive in their eyes? Everybody that complains DLC SSB Price always compares it to MK8!

I agree that the prices are a bit steep. Mario Kart 8 did it well, and most of Splatoon's updates/DLC are free (for now, at least).

While I'm not too angry - it's not like Smash is remotely light on content without the DLC - this all seems a bit pricey and I'm thinking I might wait and see if they do a cheaper package or discount the DLC further down the line or something.

tbone51 said:
Ok, here is why its expensive.... At least to many people.......

~Nobody Comparing it to other fighters DLC prices and SSB will have alot more than the NORM
~Characters are just expensive to make (Fighting Games)
~People Compare it to MK8 DLC.

As the 3rd point stands, i never understood it. It seems like the biggest reason to rag on SSB Price DLC. MK8 DLC is probably one of the best DLC deals in pricing+content of all time. Any DLC in general barely lives up to it.

I DO Find it funny that if MK8 DLC never existed would SSB DLC be that more expensive in their eyes? Everybody that complains DLC SSB Price always compares it to MK8!

If you get 55 fighter + the damn game for 50€ but 1 single fighter is 4€ thats still ridicoulus unproportional.

And each of the 55 Fighter is same "expensive" to make + marketing + engine + + +

Around the Network

I think they have taken it a bit far myself. In fact, I made a thread about it. You can check it out here if you want...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204230&page=1

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Don't see why people are only realizing this now. They've bee rediculus since Mewtwo.

Tis' only the beginning

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Good news is that it's very likely this DLC will get a lot of negative publicity, meaning that hopefully the future DLC will be effected by it and priced more reasonably.

spemanig said:
Don't see why people are only realizing this now. They've bee rediculus since Mewtwo.

Last i checked, SSB had the cheapest DLC for a fighting Game. Comparing it to a different genre (MK8) isnt helping.

Its $4 per character or $2.5 each for 2 versions.

Instead of us complaining about Smash, its more about complaining that Fighting game DLC prices are expensive