By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Super Smash Bros DLC prices are ridiculous

Are the prices to high?

Yes 92 69.70%

No 40 30.30%

Total:132

Smash DLC is cheaper than PSAS DLC, and PSAS DLC was already cheaper than most fighting game DLC. The amount of time (manhours) it takes to develop a character for a fighting game is much higher than you'd think. Ryu is more because I guess they knew it'd sell better as a bundle than separately. Moreover, technically this game has 1.5 times the effort going into each character because they have to rig the models twice for both versions.

The Mii costumes are fairly expensive but costume DLC always blows. Considering it's for custom characters rather than the usual "pay a lot for ultra classic Ryu skin only $3!" it's not too bad. That's for the people crazy enough to waste that money though. Usual fighting game crap.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

Last i checked, SSB had the cheapest DLC for a fighting Game. Comparing it to a different genre (MK8) isnt helping.

Its $4 per character or $2.5 each for 2 versions.

Instead of us complaining about Smash, its more about complaining that Fighting game DLC prices are expensive

Who cares if it's cheaper than other fighting games? Fighting games are notorious for having shitty DLC prices. Being slightly better than a norm of crap in a completely different genre, as Smash isn't even a fighting game, isn't an accomplishment when the result is still crap. Doesn't matter if MK8 is in a different genre. MK8 offer exponentially more content for almost half the price.

Smash doesn't get a free pass just because inflated prices are the norm in fighting games.

Einsam_Delphin said:

So what should the price be then if $4 is ridiculous?

Max 1€/Character. You get 55 characters for 50 bucks. Each of these characters cost nintendo the same to make and smash bros is still pretty sucsessfull.

+ You got the damn full game for that price.

So selling new characters at 4x the prices as you got them in the original game thats nothing then a rip off. Nintendo just quadrupled their profit. Profit that wasnt low anyway on this game.

The prices are reasonable. You can't compare MK8 to Smash Bros in terms of DLC Pricing. The amount of work it takes to create a character is vastly more labor intensive and intricate than MK8. Not to mention the game was complete and none of this planned. Stop complaining, yall are acting like it's as bad as Evolve DLC. You make it seem as if this is a couple days worth of work. Its no where near that easy.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Agreed.

Around the Network

For Ryu, maybe, most likely.
For roy and lucas, two characters from past games who share similar movesets with others already in the game. Definitely overpriced.
Ryus price is kind of offset by the fact he wouldve taken more time to make and is at least new.

Einsam_Delphin said:

So what should the price be then if $4 is ridiculous?

50 Cents, even that would be too high :p (i kid)

spemanig said:
tbone51 said:

Last i checked, SSB had the cheapest DLC for a fighting Game. Comparing it to a different genre (MK8) isnt helping.

Its $4 per character or $2.5 each for 2 versions.

Instead of us complaining about Smash, its more about complaining that Fighting game DLC prices are expensive

Who cares if it's cheaper than other fighting games? Fighting games are notorious for having shitty DLC prices. Being slightly better than a norm of crap in a completely different genre, as Smash isn't even a fighting game, isn't an accomplishment when the result is still crap. Doesn't matter if MK8 is in a different genre. MK8 offer exponentially more content for almost half the price.

Smash doesn't get a free pass just because inflated prices are the norm in fighting games.

Get mad at Fighting games in general not SSB .

Blob said:
For Ryu, maybe, most likely.
For roy and lucas, two characters from past games who share similar movesets with others already in the game. Definitely overpriced.
Ryus price is kind of offset by the fact he wouldve taken more time to make and is at least new.

Lucas Shares just specials and has all different properties, other than running animations, they dont share anything. Roy is completletly new 2

...There's kind of already a thread about this, lol.

But yeah, I'll admit that these prices are pretty ridiculous. and considering you have to pay around $16 for all 3 characters, I think the fact there's no bundle is a little insane.

Then again, I bought all the character DLC, so I guess I'm insane, lol.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."