By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Smash's Latest DLC: Is Sakurai and Nintendo Going Too Far?

Is the DLC too expensive?

Yes 217 66.56%

No 109 33.44%

Total:326

How did I know people would justify this dlc shit

Around the Network

I got screwed on Dragonball Xenoverse DLC, but this may be even more expensive. I'm tired of all this ripping off. I had no idea Nintendo had become like EA and Capcom. Wow, maybe I shouldn't buy a Wii U. At least not new. They are already overcharging for basically a last gen system without all this DLC.

Wait a minute... you have to buy a power cord on top of the 199 dollar New 3DS too. We have to quit supporting this greed!

It's more expensive but the content, the characters at least, are more meaningful. I love Mario kart but I play smash more. The tracks are great but you play them for a set amount of time and they are not going to draw you as much as you want. Ryu is something I am going back to on Wii u and on 3ds. And Roy is pretty awesome and not a complete clone no more. So it is what it is. I bought the Mario kart dlc and like it for what it is and I have all the character and stage dlc and love it.

DLC is not something going away and if they can charge premium they will. I would say don't buy it if you don't want it but I bought it and many others too. Nintendo has sales on things so if the price is not to your liking want until the sale comes. Boom problem solved. We need to stop complaining about dlc unless it is on disc.

I can tell who plays fighting games and who doesn't. Prices are in line with other fighting games. Ryu is a third party character so, Capcom has to get their cut.

burninmylight said:
People, you need to consider a couple of extra things about Ryu's inflated price:

1) Ryu is the propery of Capcom. He don't come free, and I doubt he come cheap.

I have my doubts that he came with a price tag, to be honest.

Lyrikalstylez said:
How did I know people would justify this dlc shit

Your objective and rational mind was doubtless working in overdrive.

Around the Network
midrange said:
MDMAlliance said:

@Bold:  Except if you aren't buying it, you didn't pay money for it.  That only applies for if the content itself isn't very good/faulty.

And no, it doesn't make sense to hold Nintendo to a different standard, because the standard you're referring to is different.   Also, calling this a great disservice is a huge exaggeration.  The prices aren't insane, they just seem high to the consumer.  Objectively, they are actually pretty low.  

Also, your Injustice example is not true.  Many games that do NOT have DLC drop down to lower prices as well.  It has nothing to do with making it up with DLC.  They drive down the prices because that's what they need to do to drive up sales.  It's especially important for games with DLC because it then lets more people have access to said DLC.  Nintendo doesn't drop their prices because they believe customers will buy it regardless.  The same doesn't apply to games like Injustice.  That goes doubly so when you consider that many people EXPECT the game to drop and wait for it.

Saying Nintendo has no need for "such high DLC prices" (hyperbole), they price it separately from their other sources of income.  That's like saying that you made something and sell it, then you make another thing that can go with it, but because you're making money on other things, it shouldn't be priced as much.

Quite the contrary, it is because I am buying it that I am very critical of it. You see, in the competitive field of smash bros., it is a very good idea to have the entire roster for obvious reasons (making counterplays, getting a feel for how the character plays, etc...). You think I am going to ignore ryu when his combo oriented gameplay may make him a force to be reckoned with?

Objectively, the price is insanely high. For $20 you get 4 characters and 3 stages. That is ridiculous. Compared to fighting games, the dlc may seem reasonably priced, but compared to games in general, fighting games have overpriced dlc.

Since the price of dlc usually remains at the same price, I would believe that producers would make paid dlc to counteract falling prices (among other reasons).

"many people EXPECT the game to drop and wait for it." That is precisely why producers would make overpriced dlc.

Point is, smash bros was launched at a high price, is now a high price, and will be a high price (unlike most other games), so why make high priced dlc that quite clearly hurts your consumers. Just because you sell a $70 game for $60 does not mean you should sell $2 dlc for $5. 

@Bold: I was making the claim that if you don't buy the DLC, you cannot say you were paying money for the content.  The point was about something being "too expensive."  In most cases, you simply don't buy it.  You don't "need" it.  Also, I know very well how the competitive field of Smash Bros is like, and that while having the entire roster can be "good," a truly competitive player usually sticks with a select few and not pick certain characters because someone else chose another character.  You CAN use the character to see how the character is like (range, knock back, animation, lag, etc.) but it isn't necessary.  Everything about it is not deemed "necessary."  

And no, objectively it isn't.  Your reasoning isn't objective.  The reason the "content" on fighting games is priced higher has to do with the fact that more work goes into making said content.  Like making a new character in a fighting game takes a bunch more resources than making a new character in an RPG.  Objectively, determining if something is expensive or not would be to compare it to other things similar to itself.  Such as other DLC prices from fighting games of similar caliber.  Otherwise it isn't objective.

Producers make paid DLC to make a profit, it has little to do with falling retail prices.  It has way more to do with getting money from those who already bought the game.

No, people expecting the prices of games to drop is NOT why DLC is priced the way it is.  If you had been following game sales as much as I have been now, you would have realized that the first few weeks of sales (which is when the game will still be full price) will, the vast majority of the time, account for much more than 50% of lifetime sales.  Many Nintendo games, however, do NOT follow this trend.  Hence, the stubbornness to lower prices (why do you think even last gen pokemon games stay full priced but plenty of other Nintendo IPs actually drop?)

You still don't get the point.  The pricing of their DLC has NOTHING to do with the price of the game currently, as is the case with most DLC now.  Also, your idea of what games or DLC SHOULD cost is really worthless.  Just playing a game, you would have a hard time figuring out how much money was spent on the game.  The reason games aren't actually like $150,000 a copy is because a lot of people buy them (and are willing to buy them) at a settled lower cost that collectively offsets the costs of development, advertising, manufacturing, etc.  There's really no such thing as "a $70 game for $60."  That's just you projecting what you think it's worth, based off of your experiences.  That's precisely why there's no point in discussing how much you think it's worth.  Nintendo definitely cares about how much people are willing to pay for DLC, and that's actually what explains the pricing model.  It's a combination of how much people are willing to spend, along with how many people they think will buy it to offset costs (and then some).  

noname2200 said:
burninmylight said:
People, you need to consider a couple of extra things about Ryu's inflated price:

1) Ryu is the propery of Capcom. He don't come free, and I doubt he come cheap.

I have my doubts that he came with a price tag, to be honest.

You honestly believe that as  long as Nintendo asks politely, it can play with other publisher's toys without any give-back? Maybe Ryu didn't come with a price tag. I'm not going to pretend to know. But I am 99.99 percent certain that Capcom is getting some of that DLC cut.

burninmylight said:

You honestly believe that as  long as Nintendo asks politely, it can play with other publisher's toys without any give-back? Maybe Ryu didn't come with a price tag. I'm not going to pretend to know. But I am 99.99 percent certain that Capcom is getting some of that DLC cut.

I've no doubt that Capcom's getting a cut. I also don't think they necessarily had to cut a check to Capcom before putting in once of Capcom's characters into one of their more popular games, since the two companies seem to have an unusual relationship at the moment.

You seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that Nintendo felt it wise or necessary to pay Capcom outright to rent Ryu for Smash. You may be right, since like you I won't pretend to have inside info. I just don't think, in light of circumstances, that that's necssarily true. That's all.

now i wished a season pass.

Cloudman said:

Heya, Cloudman here with a quick thread about the latest Smash Bros DLC content. So news is out that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are out now to buy, along with a lot of cool extra goods, such as a stage (and more on the way), and mii costumes. I, myself, am really pumped for this news! I want all the characters! However, there is one thing that makes me feel a but sour though...

The prices.

If you were to buy everything, that would close to 30 USDs. That's enough to buy some small downloadable games, or one smaller game. That seems a but expensive if you ask me... And Nintendo has shone they can handle dlc well, with Mario Kart 8's pack, which was a good deal.

Are you feeling Nintendo and Sakurai have gone too far now, or is it not that big of a deal? Are those who don't think so, are you okay with this? Let's discuss!

Poll has been added. Feel free to vote!

Upon request, I`ll put in the prices for the dlc below.

Ryu:    Wii U - $5.99  /  3DS - $5.99  /  Both - $6.99

Lucas:    Wii U - $3.99  /  3DS - $3.99  /  Both -  $4.99

Roy:    Wii U - $3.99  /  3DS - $3.99  /  Both -  $4.99

Dreamland (Stage):    Wii U - $1.99  /  3DS - $1.99  /  Both - $2.99

Isabelle Hat and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Heihachi Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Akira Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Jacky Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Zero`s Helmet  and Armor:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

MegaMan EXE.`s Helmet and Armor:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Inkling Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Inkling Squid Hat (Headgear Only):    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Mii Fighter Costume Bundle #2:    Wii U - $6.00  /  3DS - $6.00  /  Both - $9.20

Collection #2:    Wii U - $21.96  /  3DS - $21.96  /  Both - $29.16

Edit: A misread by me, if you wish to split cost of the dlc for the Wii U and 3DS versions and share codes of the DLC, head over to this link, handled by t3mporary_126.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204232&page=1# Currently locked.

Or if you want to talk about which ones you want and how excited you are for them, head over to here, handled by Ultrashroomz.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204225&page=1#

This look so much like ...... *micro transactions*... Another game that I wont buy... At this rate I feel to drop video games for good.