By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Smash's Latest DLC: Is Sakurai and Nintendo Going Too Far?

Is the DLC too expensive?

Yes 217 66.56%

No 109 33.44%

Total:326

Far too expensive :(

I'm afraid that Nintendo didn't strike the right balance here

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cloudman said:
twintail said:
Cloudman said:
twintail said:
Its expensive because they can get away with it.
If Nintendo fans are so willing to buy amiibos, it's pretty obvious they will be diehard enough to pay ridiculous prices for smash dlc.

Do you mean buying amiibo for the extra content, or just in general? Some people just want the figurines themselves, and not just the extras they unlock ; )

I'm talking about the very act if buying them

What`s wrong with the amiibo? They`re cool figurines and not too pricy. The main issue is just stock.

My first message explains very much what I was saying

If Nintendo fans are so willing to buy amiibos, it's pretty obvious they will be diehard enough to pay ridiculous prices for smash dlc.

And as I said in my 2nd msg, the act of buying amiibos. I am not talking about what they reflect, or what they can do. Just buying them.

Yeah, it sort of does seem that way. I couldn't resist getting the characters...

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

DialgaMarine said:

Nintendo's DLC has always been a bit on the pricey. They still charge $10 for N64 titles, that are almost 20 years old, on VC. They've been doing that since the Wii, some of the same games like Mario 64 and MK64. It's why I don't really understand how people constantly praise Nintendo's DLC handling. 

The same thing can be said for many PSOne Classics on the PS Store like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7.

The good Nintendo DLC people are talking about are things like Mario Kart 8, for $12 u get 6 characters, 8 vehicles & 16 tracks. Hyrule Warriors is another good example, for a total of $20 u get 4 characters, 5 new story levels, 3 new adventure maps, 2 new game modes, a bunch of new costumes. New super Mario Bros U is a third example, for $20 u get 80+ remixed levels with harder challenges and shorter completion time.

Compared to those games, Smash Bros DLC doesn't seem as good, perhaps once all the DLC has released they will offer it up in one big bundle for $20 which wouldn't be a bad deal at that point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It's waaay too expensive - it would have to be half the price of what it is now before I considered it.

zorg1000 said:
DialgaMarine said:

Nintendo's DLC has always been a bit on the pricey. They still charge $10 for N64 titles, that are almost 20 years old, on VC. They've been doing that since the Wii, some of the same games like Mario 64 and MK64. It's why I don't really understand how people constantly praise Nintendo's DLC handling. 

The same thing can be said for many PSOne Classics on the PS Store like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy 7.

The good Nintendo DLC people are talking about are things like Mario Kart 8, for $12 u get 6 characters, 8 vehicles & 16 tracks. Hyrule Warriors is another good example, for a total of $20 u get 4 characters, 5 new story levels, 3 new adventure maps, 2 new game modes, a bunch of new costumes. New super Mario Bros U is a third example, for $20 u get 80+ remixed levels with harder challenges and shorter completion time.

Compared to those games, Smash Bros DLC doesn't seem as good, perhaps once all the DLC has released they will offer it up in one big bundle for $20 which wouldn't be a bad deal at that point.

Yeah, but even PSOne classics go down in price, get put on PS +, get put into sales, etc. I bought MK64 on Wii for $10 7 years ago, and it's still $10 on Wii-U. Plus, the games you mentioned are third party and fall onto those developers to decide the price. MK64, M64, etc., all belong to Nintendo, and all their VC titles are way overpriced. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

Absolutely they are. I was saying this back when Mewtwo's pricing was announced. The whole pricing model for this shit is bull.

It seems that relative to the genre, the DLC is reasonably priced.

But in absolute terms, it's expensive.

DialgaMarine said:
zorg1000 said:

Yeah, but even PSOne classics go down in price, get put on PS +, get put into sales, etc. I bought MK64 on Wii for $10 7 years ago, and it's still $10 on Wii-U. Plus, the games you mentioned are third party and fall onto those developers to decide the price. MK64, M64, etc., all belong to Nintendo, and all their VC titles are way overpriced. 

Nintendo has given away a ton of Virtual Console games away on Club Nintendo and I'm pretty sure I've seen many go on sale as well. NES/SNES/N64/GBA/DS Virtual Console games range from $5-10 just like PS One classics do so not a huge difference that u r making it out to be.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It feels like they do it in a way that lets players buy what they want, and skip the rest. And I like that. But I also know that a lot of people will buy everything, and yeah, that will be expensive. DLC is weird to me. I've barely bought any DLC at all, and I don't think that'll change anytime soon.

Not really. Sakurai has repeatedly gone on record saying that each character in Smash takes an incredible amount of time and work to create, which is why we won't be getting a flood of DLC content for this game. And we're talking about a man who quite literally worked himself to exhaustion and poorer health making this game.

Mii costumes also aren't expensive at all. They're .75 for one platform. You literally can't get much cheaper than that. You're talking three quarters. You can't buy gum for that anymore.