By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and Smash's Latest DLC: Is Sakurai and Nintendo Going Too Far?

Is the DLC too expensive?

Yes 217 66.56%

No 109 33.44%

Total:326
Nem said:
VGPolyglot said:

But you have to pay top play as the characters, which basically makes them locked on the console.

That is ridiculous. Don't download the update if you don't want, don't play online if you don't want. They are locked because you didnt pay for them, but they werent in the disc you payed for at launch.

I didn't download the update, and I don't play online.

Around the Network

overpriced by a big margin.

Cloudman said:
And for the record, I am still buying the characters. It feels too hard to pass on them at least...

Deja vu

I remember when I went to the new 3DS midnight launch party and the guys behind me were talking about themes for it.

"fuck Nintendo for making us pay for themes, can't believe they are doing it!!"

5 second pause....

in a submissive voice "i'll buy them all anyway"

twintail said:
Its expensive because they can get away with it.
If Nintendo fans are so willing to buy amiibos, it's pretty obvious they will be diehard enough to pay ridiculous prices for smash dlc.

Do you mean buying amiibo for the extra content, or just in general? Some people just want the figurines themselves, and not just the extras they unlock ; )

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I was considering getting the bundle, since I thought that'd be a good way to either save money, or get some extra content I was on the fence about for a few more dollars. Since I didn't really care about Lucas or the Mii costumes, that basically just left Roy, Ryu, and the two new stages, which ended up costing me $16 (with tax). The bundle I believe is $29 for both platforms, which is the one I would have gotten, so paying almost double for content I didn't care about didn't seem worth it.

But though the bundle pricing seemed too much for me personally, even buying individually wasn't quite so terrible. For that $16, I got two new characters, two new stages, and several corresponding trophies and songs for both versions of the game. If I only cared about the Wii U version, I would have been able to shave at least $3 off of that. There was also a free stage waiting to be downloaded, which was nice bonus I wasn't really expecting.

So really, for me, I guess the pricing was neither good nor bad. There are far worse examples of DLC pricing, as well as far better ones (many being in Nintendo's own library). I can see why collectors would have a valid reason to complain, but for me, I suppose it's basically just passable. I still hope this doesn't become a trend, though.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Cloudman said:
And for the record, I am still buying the characters. It feels too hard to pass on them at least...

Deja vu

I remember when I went to the new 3DS midnight launch party and the guys behind me were talking about themes for it.

"fuck Nintendo for making us pay for themes, can't believe they are doing it!!"

5 second pause....

in a submissive voice "i'll buy them all anyway"

Well, Sony has their own themes for sale, so Ninten charging for them isn`t something only they are doing. ; )

Though I feel this way for this dlc. I really want the characters, so I gave in. The rest, I can pass for now. Even if they announce a deal later, I won`t mind. I wouldn`t want to wait for that if it`s a long time from now....

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

twintail said:
Cloudman said:
twintail said:
Its expensive because they can get away with it.
If Nintendo fans are so willing to buy amiibos, it's pretty obvious they will be diehard enough to pay ridiculous prices for smash dlc.

Do you mean buying amiibo for the extra content, or just in general? Some people just want the figurines themselves, and not just the extras they unlock ; )

I'm talking about the very act if buying them

What`s wrong with the amiibo? They`re cool figurines and not too pricy. The main issue is just stock.

Dance my pretties!

i just want the new fighters... time to shell out $16

Cloudman said:

Heya, Cloudman here with a quick thread about the latest Smash Bros DLC content. So news is out that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are out now to buy, along with a lot of cool extra goods, such as a stage (and more on the way), and mii costumes. I, myself, am really pumped for this news! I want all the characters! However, there is one thing that makes me feel a but sour though...

The prices.

If you were to buy everything, that would close to 30 USDs. That's enough to buy some small downloadable games, or one smaller game. That seems a but expensive if you ask me... And Nintendo has shone they can handle dlc well, with Mario Kart 8's pack, which was a good deal.

Are you feeling Nintendo and Sakurai have gone too far now, or is it not that big of a deal? Are those who don't think so, are you okay with this? Let's discuss!

Poll has been added. Feel free to vote!

Upon request, I`ll put in the prices for the dlc below.

Ryu:    Wii U - $5.99  /  3DS - $5.99  /  Both - $6.99

Lucas:    Wii U - $3.99  /  3DS - $3.99  /  Both -  $4.99

Roy:    Wii U - $3.99  /  3DS - $3.99  /  Both -  $4.99

Dreamland (Stage):    Wii U - $1.99  /  3DS - $1.99  /  Both - $2.99

Isabelle Hat and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Heihachi Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Akira Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Jacky Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Zero`s Helmet  and Armor:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

MegaMan EXE.`s Helmet and Armor:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Inkling Wig and Costume:    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Inkling Squid Hat (Headgear Only):    Wii U - $0.75  /  3DS - $0.75  /  Both - $1.15

Mii Fighter Costume Bundle #2:    Wii U - $6.00  /  3DS - $6.00  /  Both - $9.20

Collection #2:    Wii U - $21.96  /  3DS - $21.96  /  Both - $29.16

...But, if you want to try to shop smart for all this dlc, head over to this thread and figure out the best way sort out this dlc your way, handled by t3mporary_126.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204232&page=1#

Or if you want to talk about which ones you want and how excited you are for them, head over to here, handled by Ultrashroomz.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=204225&page=1#

Nintendo's DLC has always been a bit on the pricey. They still charge $10 for N64 titles, that are almost 20 years old, on VC. They've been doing that since the Wii, some of the same games like Mario 64 and MK64. It's why I don't really understand how people constantly praise Nintendo's DLC handling. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

These things cost for developing, not for distributing. The DLC is much more expensive than the original content compared to how much you get, but it will also sell a lot less. It's expensive but understandable. I voted no because we're also getting a free stage and tourney mode, which makes the DLC in general average priced, IMO.