By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox - Oculus Partnership seems like nothing but PR stunt.

Mr Puggsly said:
Ruler said:

Sony always took the ideas and made it better like with trophies. And most of the stuff MS and Nintendo inveted was copied from some other companies as well. And the pic has many things wrong

- how the hell is sony copying the xbox 360 controller? both have a complete different form. The ps4 buttons didnt changed. In fact they improved both flaws of the ps3 and 360 controller, like having an even surface on the button and digipad layout. No one did that before.

- ps2 had always a slot for upgrading a harddrive and lan connection, before xbox was even released.

- remote play was even on the ps3 possible with the psp before the wiiu was out.

- the ps2 had online before the xbox. 

First of all, I'm fine with taking ideas and making them better. However some Sony fans hail them as innovators when they rarely are.

Actually, I don't think trophies are better. I think earning platinums only appeals to a tiny percentage of players and they make non-platinum trophies feel worthless. But that's my opinion.

OG Xbox was the first to truly utilize a HDD for something more than a couple games and even included it with the console. Later model PS2's removed hard drive support because it was so useless.

Its not the online support they are referring to, PSN was created as a response to XBL.

A few things there are debateable. But there are also things you gotta admit Sony copied.

-Trophies system have levels, you level up like you increase the gamer score on xbox. Platin trophies are just something to show how much of a quality gamer you are. The system is way better than archievments on xbox, various guides and videos on youtube prove that playstation gamers care more about completing games than PC and Xbox games thanks to the Platinum trophies. We wouldnt have these guides and videos without the Platinum trophies on PlayStation.

- og Xbox only used the harddrive for saving game files for 99% of the games, in japan and NA there were also games on ps2 who used the HD like installing the games or online content like MGS3. The numbers are pretty much equal for both.

- And Xbox live was also closed down by MS on the OG xbox, so its not part of the current Live platform of Xbox One, 360 & PC. So Sony had 1 year later PSN. So whats the point with live? 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Offensive mode? No. I'm using common sense, if they're gonna push VR tech they gotta do it the same time as their competitors. Especially if it turns out to be a big hit. Not wait and see what happens then play catch up.

Hololens is something completely different, its not being pushed as core gaming hardware.

I agree with the non-bolded part.

I chose not to respond because it would've gone nowhere. Seldom when Sony creates peripherals or special things does it create a large boom unless it has something to do with formats. If Microsoft was smart they would wait out the hype and see the truth of the situation since Oculus isnt being made by them. That deal could be made at any time. Focus on the money on it after you see Sony succeed or else it was all for nothing and yes....just about PR. The cart cant ride itself, it needs the horse.

This is exactly why I admire the way they handled copying PSN Plus. They waited to see if people would respond positively to it and they did so they dropped old method of doing things. Made it easier on gamers and they got free games to boot.

Let Sony take the risk and just like the Kinect off of the back of the Wii and the scraps of Sony...they can pick up the reward.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aeolus451 said:

I agree with the non-bolded part.

I chose not to respond because it would've gone nowhere. Seldom when Sony creates peripherals or special things does it create a large boom unless it has something to do with formats. If Microsoft was smart they would wait out the hype and see the truth of the situation since Oculus isnt being made by them. That deal could be made at any time. Focus on the money on it after you see Sony succeed or else it was all for nothing and yes....just about PR. The cart cant ride itself, it needs the horse.

This is exactly why I admire the way they handled copying PSN Plus. They waited to see if people would respond positively to it and they did so they dropped old method of doing things. Made it easier on gamers and they got free games to boot.

Let Sony take the risk and just like the Kinect off of the back of the Wii and the scraps of Sony...they can pick up the reward.

That could backfire just as easily as going with VR. It would hurt the xbox brand more in their position now if VR succeds versus it not panning out/losing money over a peripheral. If VR works out, playstation will be the one to cash in on it because they would have everything in place already for it while MS would be hanging in the breeze.

The ship has already sailed though. MS is doing it your way and we'll see how it plays out. 

Aeolus451 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That could backfire just as easily as going with VR. It would hurt the xbox brand more in their position now if VR succeds versus it not panning out/losing money over a peripheral. If VR works out, playstation will be the one to cash in on it because they would have everything in place already for it while MS would be hanging in the breeze.

The ship has already sailed though. MS is doing it your way and we'll see how it plays out. 

MS would not be hanging in the breeze. Much like most of their gaming career its not hard to pass a check for the work someone else did on R&D and cut a deal. Difference between this and the Kinect is that its pretty much finished. Microsoft bought the Natal and invested in its growth. As I said...they take the least risk, so they might as well continue.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

There are no free games, its a paid subscription service. I said years ago that PSN Plus was just a stepping stone to eventually charging for online play because Sony wanted in on the money MS was making. Its turns out I was right. They had to wait until the next gen to do it though.

The sentence I underlined, I don't even understand it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
MoHasanie said:

Consumers aren't gonna buy such expensive devices and there is no evidence which proves it will be succesful. Sure DK2 did well, but that could be because devs think it could be the next big thing. 

If they're buying $400 consoles then I don't see why they wouldn't buy $200-$300 headsets. 

You and me have different opinions about VR devices. I think it will perform poorly and you think it's the future of gaming. I just don't see people going out and buying such expensive devices. I'm sure a few hardcore gamers might get them but until they are cheap ($100), I am sure they will flop. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Am I missing something? Is Microsoft no longer doing HoloLens? I liked that better than the PS4 VR joints.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Aeolus451 said:

MS would not be hanging in the breeze. Much like most of their gaming career its not hard to pass a check for the work someone else did on R&D and cut a deal. Difference between this and the Kinect is that its pretty much finished. Microsoft bought the Natal and invested in its growth. As I said...they take the least risk, so they might as well continue.

Natal was different, there was a company doing it who didnt mind getting a cheque.... let's be honest here the three companies who are currently doing VR are compaies who have the cash to make this happen. I dont see much benefit in buying a company outside these three to try and do VR because you will be playing catchup. And Neither of the top three companies doing VR are going to sell to MS. So they would be trying to catch up, simple.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Natal was different, there was a company doing it who didnt mind getting a cheque.... let's be honest here the three companies who are currently doing VR are compaies who have the cash to make this happen. I dont see much benefit in buying a company outside these three to try and do VR because you will be playing catchup. And Neither of the top three companies doing VR are going to sell to MS. So they would be trying to catch up, simple.

Then most don't understand Microsoft. If Occulus and Morpheus takes off Microsoft more than likely will more than likely pass out the check to buy the company just like they did with Kinect. They are always playing catchup when it comes to tech, but outside of that they seem ahead of the game with hololens.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Madword said:

Then most don't understand Microsoft. If Occulus and Morpheus takes off Microsoft more than likely will more than likely pass out the check to buy the company just like they did with Kinect. They are always playing catchup when it comes to tech, but outside of that they seem ahead of the game with hololens.

which company?

Oculus was bought by Facebook for about $2 Billion.

Morpheus is Sony owned