By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox - Oculus Partnership seems like nothing but PR stunt.

setsunatenshi said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Then most don't understand Microsoft. If Occulus and Morpheus takes off Microsoft more than likely will more than likely pass out the check to buy the company just like they did with Kinect. They are always playing catchup when it comes to tech, but outside of that they seem ahead of the game with hololens.

which company?

Oculus was bought by Facebook for about $2 Billion.

Morpheus is Sony owned

Then I stand corrected. Partnership it is. Not much they can do now unless Facebook decides to give it up.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
setsunatenshi said:

which company?

Oculus was bought by Facebook for about $2 Billion.

Morpheus is Sony owned

Then I stand corrected. Partnership it is. Not much they can do now unless Facebook decides to give it up.

Yeah I wasnt sure how you missed that :)

Saying that, a 4th VR company has now just appeared, and it wouldnt surprise me if they have done it to be brought out. Look up 

http://www.pcgamer.com/starbreeze-is-working-on-its-own-vr-headset/

It's a very strange situation that a company like this is making a VR unit....

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Madword said:

Natal was different, there was a company doing it who didnt mind getting a cheque.... let's be honest here the three companies who are currently doing VR are compaies who have the cash to make this happen. I dont see much benefit in buying a company outside these three to try and do VR because you will be playing catchup. And Neither of the top three companies doing VR are going to sell to MS. So they would be trying to catch up, simple.

Then most don't understand Microsoft. If Occulus and Morpheus takes off Microsoft more than likely will more than likely pass out the check to buy the company just like they did with Kinect. They are always playing catchup when it comes to tech, but outside of that they seem ahead of the game with hololens.

This is not totally correct.  MS licensed tech from that company but they had years of development along those lines.  Kinect 2.0 does not use any of that other company tech and is completely MS.  Sometimes you have to license tech from other companies or risk getting sued.

kowenicki said:
I agree it does.

And bravo! It worked.... and you're helping.

Sums up what I was thinking.