By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox - Oculus Partnership seems like nothing but PR stunt.

oh boy i would call that presentation is more of PR comedy rather then PR stunt

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
MoHasanie said:
I think so too but at the end of the day, it doesn't make a difference because VR devices will flop. Even on a gaming forum there is so little interest, so its very unlikely that the casuals will buy them. .

-So the DK2 cost more than 350$ + shipping.
-You need an high end pc.
-It had issues and people knew..
-It had hardly games that were playbable with the rift..
- ordering one could take up to 6 months before it was delivered
-People knew that DK2 would be replaced by the CV soon..

Still the demand for it was way higher than they expected...

The DK2 had so much against it but it became a succes so in what kind of logical way you expect it to flop?

The games list that are rift enabled grows fast and even early access games like Ark survival are rift enabled.

Consumers aren't gonna buy such expensive devices and there is no evidence which proves it will be succesful. Sure DK2 did well, but that could be because devs think it could be the next big thing. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:
GamechaserBE said:

-So the DK2 cost more than 350$ + shipping.
-You need an high end pc.
-It had issues and people knew..
-It had hardly games that were playbable with the rift..
- ordering one could take up to 6 months before it was delivered
-People knew that DK2 would be replaced by the CV soon..

Still the demand for it was way higher than they expected...

The DK2 had so much against it but it became a succes so in what kind of logical way you expect it to flop?

The games list that are rift enabled grows fast and even early access games like Ark survival are rift enabled.

Consumers aren't gonna buy such expensive devices and there is no evidence which proves it will be succesful. Sure DK2 did well, but that could be because devs think it could be the next big thing. 

If they're buying $400 consoles then I don't see why they wouldn't buy $200-$300 headsets. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has always been behind Sony when it comes to tech. Sony makes hardware so making new tech comes naturally to them.Microsoft tends to look at what Sony does and buy things to try and cut them off and say "hey we have this too". They did it with the Kinect as well.

There is a lot of nonsense in such a small post. Sony and MS both have taken ideas from each other. Sony has also flatout copied ideas from Nintendo as well.

Sony has a history of, "hey we have this too."

The Morpheus is just a response to the Oculus Rift, lets not pretend Sony was the first company that made the push to VR.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Vasto said:
Puppyroach said:
I think once again that people are thinking in to small terms. What is there to prevent Oculus from working directly with an X1 in a years time? Both Oculus and X1 will function on the W10 platform. And of course it was a PR stunt, they are a commercial company :).

This

One of the biggest problems with today's media and gamers is that Now factor.  Usually a partnership develops over time as each company look to enhance their offerings and merge technologies together.  In the games hits industry, it seems people only focus on the now, not looking at the complete picture and only focus on the small presentations.  It's evident that MS has bigger plans for VR and their supporting APIs and windows to support the platform not just for game but for other industries and entertaiment in general.  Probably within the next few years we will see a lot of support going both ways as Facebook/OR and MS work on their technologies to make VR viable.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Microsoft has always been behind Sony when it comes to tech. Sony makes hardware so making new tech comes naturally to them.Microsoft tends to look at what Sony does and buy things to try and cut them off and say "hey we have this too". They did it with the Kinect as well.

There is a lot of nonsense in such a small post. Sony and MS both have taken ideas from each other. Sony has also flatout copied ideas from Nintendo as well.

Sony has a history of, "hey we have this too."

The Morpheus is just a response to the Oculus Rift, lets not pretend Sony was the first company that made the push to VR.

I never said a word about innovation. The gist of my point was when Sony does something Microsoft isnt far behind with a response. If I was running Microsoft I would've ignored Morpheus until it yeilded results (which I doubt it will on a large scale). MS has the hololens and even the boss admitted it was too far ahead of its time, but lets just partner with oculus because...you know. 

kowenicki said:
I agree it does.

And bravo! It worked.... and you're helping.

Where there is action there is always a reaction.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

The kinect was turned down by Sony and they went and did the job themselves when they were doing R&D. Microsoft took it because the trend had started. Sony had been working on motion gaming since the beginning of the PS2 era. Just because Sega started it doesnt mean Sony wasnt involved in their own capacity. 

Microsoft has their own hololens but they got involved with the occulus for a reason. Project Morpheus was and still is getting good press.

Here's a question, why does it matter?

I agree, MS is getting involved with Oculus because they feel they should have a response to the Morpheus AND the industry is a little hyped about VR tech.

As I pointed out in my last Sony has taken many ideas themselves in reponse to what their competitors. Do we really need to bitch about who's the true innovator?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Fusioncode said:
Aeolus451 said:

Hmm. Why would it upset PC gamers? I'm not familar with how they are compared to other gamers.

Bundling a controller with Oculus is what's annoying them. Not only does it add unnecessary cost to the package as nearly every PC gamer already owns some sort of Gamepad, but it's also being bundled instead of their new touch controller which is being sold seperately. That's the controller that should have been bundled but they accepted a big bundle of cash from Microsoft to shove Xbox controllers in everyone's faces. 

In addition, a lot of PC gamers just don't like Microsoft very much due to their poor treatment of the PC platform. 

^^

That point was raised when I was talking about it at work... why waste all that time and development on the "Perfect" controller for VR, and then bundle in an XBO controller, it made no sense at all. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Puppyroach said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Didn't Kinect development start in 2006? I think they talked about it with Hololens. And in what way did they copy Sony? Both copied Nintendo in their own way :). And don't even mention Eyetoy, Sega was way ahead there. And VR is far from a Sony concept, it seems Sony jumped on the bandwagon after Oculus got announced.

The kinect was turned down by Sony and they went and did the job themselves when they were doing R&D. Microsoft took it because the trend had started. Sony had been working on motion gaming since the beginning of the PS2 era. Just because Sega started it doesnt mean Sony wasnt involved in their own capacity. 

Microsoft has their own hololens but they got involved with the occulus for a reason. Project Morpheus was and still is getting good press.

Just because Sony turned down the tech in Kinect doesn't mean that tech was bad, it means that Sony did not have the skills to bring it to market.  If you only look at Kinect as just a game device then you totally miss the point that the device has proven to be great tech for multiple industries.  This can be an issue with most gamers where they focus so much on this console war thing they forget that these compaines operate in mutlple different industries.

MS has stated that they are not totally sold on VR and it's evident with Hololens they were going down a totally different technology road then what VR is doing.  The tech in Hololens is far above what is going on with Morp, Vive and even OR since Hololens is a wireless PC while the other techs must depend on either a PC or console to do their work.

When all is said and done, it's probably not in the interest for MS to build just another VR device since there is already a solid device in OR, instead they will continue to define their AR experience which is totally different and can lead to more impressive sales since their device at this moment is the front runner in that space.