Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

Around the Network

are you the new Soundwave?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

The issue is understanding the economics of the mobile sector and how at odds they are with traditional hand held gaming.

1. I would say 95% of people I know with smart phones are on subscription plans. This means that $500 phone is often $100 and they are content to pay $50 a month for internet, phone, and texting. So, can Nintendo offer all those features making essentially a Nintendo phone and work out deals with Verizon and Sprint to have those models?

2. Also, 95% of people I know who game on smart phones have spent less than $5 a year on gaming, many of them have spent nothing. This model works on advertising and micro transactions to small minorities. So, why does it work? Well, you'll notice Apple is not some developing power house, they let thousands of third parties take on the risk and reap the benefits. Nintendo cannot afford the failure rate you see on mobile given their investment. I also do not think Nintendo will just go full on shovel ware hoping 5% of games become a fad hit and have people associate Mario and Pokemon with "freemium" junk.

It is not an easy problem they face, I'll grant you that. I just don't see mimicking Apple as a viable strategy for Nintendo.

So they can compete with Samsung and Apple and steal all their market right?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Whats the constrol scheme?

Around the Network

I think a tablet form factor is possible but they will also have a smaller traditional portable form factor as well. I don't think it will be a standard slate style tablet either, it would probably have physical controls and be something similar in size/form factor of the Wii U gamepad.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much.

No, I hope this isn't Nintendo's plan, I think that this could seriously hurt them in their newfound ambition and re-structure.

Over 200m tablets were sold last year. Around 12m handhelds were sold between 3DS and Vita. The tablet market may down a bit in recent years but it's still huge and much larger than anything happening with dedicated game handhelds.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

That would not be a good thing. In fact, if it went as described in the OP then I would expect Virtual Boy levels of floppage. Nintendo are actually good at both making handheld consoles and at making games for them. It's by far their most successful area and always has been and they should stick to what has made them great there. It's unlikely they will ever have DS level sales again, but they don't need those kind of sales for them to be able to make a good, successful and profitable handheld.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

It definitely wont be a tablet BUT I can see it connecting to an app store.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Fusioncode said:
Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much.

No, I hope this isn't Nintendo's plan, I think that this could seriously hurt them in their newfound ambition and re-structure.

Over 200m tablets were sold last year. Around 12m handhelds were sold between 3DS and Vita. The tablet market may down a bit in recent years but it's still huge and much larger than anything happening with dedicated game handhelds.

Well, no doubt about that, but if they want to get to the juicy middle they should rather go for a more phone-like device. I think both would be a mistake though, one of the major reasons being that they very likely wouldn't be able to pull it off. If they think competing with MS and Sony is hard, they'll be shocked if and when they ever go up against Apple and Samsung.