Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

Platina said:
I still don't think they will go for a tablet.. Nintendo likes to be innovative, not follow the flow.

There are only so many ways you can be innovative. Doing something other than a watch, phone, tablet, handheld...borders on insanity. Even a watch would be way out there.

What's your guess? 3 screens? A foldable legal paper sized screen? Glasses?

Let's be serious. Having a tablet doesn't mean it isn't innovative. It's what they DO with it that determines innovation.

Around the Network

Nintendo Fusion (NX) could have a tablet, alongside a handheld and a console. But maybe we will get a mixture of a tablet and a handheld.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Fusioncode said:

It's time to accept it, mobile gaming is here to stay and dedicated gaming handhelds are dying quickly. There's no real reason to create another handheld when there is so much more money to be made in the mobile sector. A Nintendo-branded Andriod tablet. How is that not a great idea? When Nintendo released the 3DS for $250 it was way too expensive for mass market adoption. They had to drop it down to $170 and take a loss. With tablets, people are buying them at $300, $400, even $500. Nintendo can still create all the same software for the tablet so it's not like people won't get to enjoy the same Nintendo games, nothing will have to change on that front. They'll have a ton more 3rd party support where they had basically none from Western publishers. This is the best way to get the kids interested in Nintendo again considering how much they play mobile games nowadays. And for all the purists out there Nintendo can always create a physical controller addon so they won't have to rely on a touch screen. I think this is the future.

Thoughts?

nah

there is no way it will be a tablet

their next system will NOT have a tablet controller, home console I mean, it will have regular buttons. if they're crossing software between handheld and home console then there is absolutely no way that the systems controls will be very different. expect a much higher powered handheld system but do not expect the traditional button layout to disappear, no way

I agree that there is a strong possibility that they will consider integrating phone use into their next handheld though, sort of like a primarily video game device with an option for primary use for other things too

theprof00 said:
Platina said:
I still don't think they will go for a tablet.. Nintendo likes to be innovative, not follow the flow.

There are only so many ways you can be innovative. Doing something other than a watch, phone, tablet, handheld...borders on insanity. Even a watch would be way out there.

Let's be serious. Having a tablet doesn't mean it isn't innovative. It's what they DO with it that determines innovation.

Nintend would be foolish to do a tablet though, a huge percent of their handheld gamers today are gamers who grew up with traditional layouts in terms of controllers. would cut off a big market of theirs if they went that route

also I gurantee Nintendo will be focusing much less on innovation than on specs in the next generation. well, of course it will be sort of innovative to have a totally streamlined hardware thing with the handheld/console, that will be newish

BasilZero said:
That sounds terrible. Pretty sure with the WiiU's sales - I dont think they'll go to a tablet route.

the wii u is not a tablet

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
theprof00 said:

Nintend would be foolish to do a tablet though, a huge percent of their handheld gamers today are gamers who grew up with traditional layouts in terms of controllers. would cut off a big market of theirs if they went that route

also I gurantee Nintendo will be focusing much less on innovation than on specs in the next generation. well, of course it will be sort of innovative to have a totally streamlined hardware thing with the handheld/console, that will be newish

who says you cant have similar buttons on a tablet

bobgamez said:
BasilZero said:
That sounds terrible. Pretty sure with the WiiU's sales - I dont think they'll go to a tablet route.

the wii u is not a tablet

The controller I mean.

The idea fizzled and the sales of the WiiU arent really hot like the Wii's were.

I think they'll go a much more simpler route and not do a tablet/touchscreen type of deal next gen but will likely stick with motion controls.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Pavolink said:
Nintendo Fusion (NX) could have a tablet, alongside a handheld and a console. But maybe we will get a mixture of a tablet and a handheld.

Exactly. 

Nintendo should just get out of this pissing race. 

Let people choose multiple hardware types, whatever is best for them fine. 

NX Tablet. NX Handheld. NX Cheaper Family console with wacky gimmick controller. NX Pro console with more horsepower and larger size, more expensive. 

Same games run on all of them at varying effects/resolution. 

Now people can shut the f*ck up about dictating to other people that everyone needs to play games *exactly* the same way they do. 

If I need a Macbook Pro, I can buy that, if I want just a Macbook, that's cool too. I buy based on my needs. Democrotizing hardware so the consumer has CHOICE is the best thing Nintendo could do. 

I'll also bet dollars to donughts if Nintendo goes this route, given a choice most consumers will choose the tablet Nintendo NX variant over the smaller handheld fold-out one. Same way the 3DS XL outsells the smaller regular 3DS by a large margin. 

bobgamez said:
mountaindewslave said:

who says you cant have similar buttons on a tablet

The world will apparently end if there's buttons on a tablet I guess. Like seriously the amount of imagination if takes to imagine a Nintendo handheld in a tablet form factor is like nill, lol. If you can't possibly imagine it, seriously you have the imagination of a brick wall. 

Just an FYI ... Nintendo made handhelds for 15 years before the DS/3DS layout became their standard and they will eventually break from this layout, and I'd say  now is as good of a time as any to introduce a new form factor. 

Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much

That's not exactly the case. What drove down tablet sales was the phablet sector, that provided a middle-ground for some people that didn't liked carrying two devices but also didn't cared if the smartphone was huge. Ultrabooks also covered some ground.

It's not like they are going anywhere, it's just like some products were capable of providing a better experience in some cases. Despite that, I've read a report saying that tablet sales in Brazil are on a rise while laptops went down. Overall, we can expect the tablet market to keep growing worldwide.