Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

Mummelmann said:
DanneSandin said:
Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much.

No, I hope this isn't Nintendo's plan, I think that this could seriously hurt them in their newfound ambition and re-structure.

At long last, the death of tablets! Useless things... It's kinda like a mobile, just... bigger.

I'm exaggerating of course, but I've always found tablets to be quite redundent, so this is happy news indeed. I hope Sweden have a similar development

The Norwegian and Swedish markets are very similar so I imagine it's the same over here.

I never saw the appeal of tablets myself, I recently bought my first laptop though, it does so much more than a tablet and actually costs less, has a better screen, a lot more storage and touch interfaces are useless for proper writing imo. I just simply never understood the point of a tablet, especially when the smartphone is a thing.

Ya it always seemed like something that tried to be a best of both worlds type of device but ended up falling flat on both sides.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I still don't think they will go for a tablet.. Nintendo likes to be innovative, not follow the flow.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

No. It will be a traditional handheld and will probably have a nintendo store for mobile games. That would mean it has the best of both worlds.

Probable. The Wii U controller is basically a tablet form factor with physical buttons, not sure why some Nintendo fans think that would be such a mind-blowing jump for them. It makes perfect sense.

A tablet form factor also allows for a larger battery, larger screen, and a larger form factor for thermal heat dissipation -- read: you can put a much better chipset in a tablet than you can a cramped little dinky handheld.

So if having Wii U-level graphics or better is part of their strategy (see: Fusion platform), then a tablet form factor may not only be preferable, it may be the only option.

My guess is this is spot on, but it will be something about the size of an iPad mini, which is portable enough. 

I take your idea and raise a new one; re-release the Gamepad with "new" functions and slap a new name on it. Fool proof!

Carl is a Piplup hater and deserves to be punished eternally.

Around the Network

Handheld gaming is not dying quickly, it lost ground, but the 3DS still stands and a lot of games still make quite a bit of money. And a handheld is a handheld. A tablet would NOT be able to replace the DS or Gameboy line in any way, shape or form.

This will never happen.

OP: I don't think it's happening.

We all know Sony domination is a real thing and there is nothing Microsoft or Nintendo can do about it....

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

WolfpackN64 said:
Handheld gaming is not dying quickly, it lost ground, but the 3DS still stands and a lot of games still make quite a bit of money. And a handheld is a handheld. A tablet would NOT be able to replace the DS or Gameboy line in any way, shape or form.

This will never happen.

Why couldn't it replace the DS? That's just stupid, I'm sorry. 

I play DS games on my Wii U TABLET controller just fine by the way, same with GBA VC games. 

It's just a form factor, I never understand why some Nintendo fans always act like they're Neo being shown the Matrix for the first time anytime someone suggests Nintendo might do something slightly different (especially when the current strategy isn't even doing that great to begin with, 3DS shipments this year will be Nintendo's lowest handheld shipment in 18 freaking years ... yeah nothing needs to change there). 

The DS/3DS form factor is dated as f*ck too, even to kids it screams out "hey look at this! Remember 2005, this was popular when Britney Spears still had a career." 

Soundwave said:
WolfpackN64 said:

This will never happen.

Why couldn't it replace the DS? That's just stupid, I'm sorry. 

I play DS games on my Wii U TABLET controller just fine by the way, same with GBA VC games. 

It's just a form factor, I never understand why some Nintendo fans always act like they're Neo being shown the Matrix for the first time anytime someone suggests Nintendo might do something slightly different (especially when the current strategy isn't even doing that great to begin with, 3DS shipments this year will be Nintendo's lowest handheld shipment in 18 freaking years ... yeah nothing needs to change there). 

The DS/3DS form factor is dated as f*ck too, even to kids it screams out "hey look at this! Remember 2005, this was popular when Britney Spears still had a career." 

Because a Wii U gamepad with resistative touchscreen, buttons, triggers and an ergonomic grip is something entirely different as an Android tablet. And no, the DS form factor is not dated, a lot of kids still have DS' or 3DS'.

@fusioncode
Don't listen to the haters, they are shortsighted.
The next best move for Nintendo is to have a tablet device.
1. as a replacement controller for wiiU
2. to house all the new mobile style games they will be releasing
3. as a platform for new kinds of content that Nintendo currently doesn't deliver
4. amiibo and card battle games (currently the rage in Japan).
5. Growing market
6. control over used games (through digital rights)