Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

amp316 said:
I went brain dead reading that so I have no thoughts.

So I quoted

Around the Network
amp316 said:
I went brain dead reading that so I have no thoughts.

Yeah, it's like getting hit in the head with a brick.

The market you want are the tablet smartphone people, right. These are the people who pay nothing to 5$ majority the games they buy. And then abandoned them fast. Nintendo couldn't make a normal full game with that money. Everything would be scaled down to those cheap apps. Also, they sell 200 million tablets and or phones because they are used for other things, not just gaming. Yes, Capcom and a few others sell more expensive apps. But, they have other software comming out on other things. Nintendo is putting its eggs in one bag. There wouldn't be this tablet system and another handheld that is standard.

So, if Nintendo did this. They have to make crap games to sell for $5. This loses the loyal base they have. Which is already reduced by Wii U's poor system support. And will solely rely on this unpredictable user base. Which can just ignore a lot of what they churn out. If this idea fails. Nintendo loses both doors. There would be no loyal fanbase anymore. People would be like "Fuck Nintendo." If it works. They still lose a lot of the loyalty and then make all the talented people at Nintendo, make crapper games. Which like Kojima and Konami's shift, got fired. Nintendo could easily lose a ton of major people over this.

If there are no physical controls built in, I'm not interested. And no, having a controller for it (ala Nvidia Shield Tablet) is not a valid option. But if they do go the touchscreen route again, it's time they upgraded to capacitive going forward.

Only if its Nintendos own OS

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much.

No, I hope this isn't Nintendo's plan, I think that this could seriously hurt them in their newfound ambition and re-structure.

At long last, the death of tablets! Useless things... It's kinda like a mobile, just... bigger.

I'm exaggerating of course, but I've always found tablets to be quite redundent, so this is happy news indeed. I hope Sweden have a similar development

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

That sounds terrible. Pretty sure with the WiiU's sales - I dont think they'll go to a tablet route.

Basil's YouTube Channel

It could be good. One thing is for sure, it needs to be cool to kids. So either a tablet that also plays Nintendo games or a handheld that offers at true tablet-like experience is a good place to start.

Bad idea. The form factor alone is completely at odds with the whole notion of a "handheld." Tablets are bulky enough, but adding extensions for the D-pad, analog sticks, and various buttons would make it bulkier. Also, Nintendo would struggle to get a tablet onto a market that's already flooded with many competing devices. Said market is also apparently already reaching a saturation point as sales are slowing rapidly. Gaming tablets in particular are very niche products.

Also, the typical consumer that plays games mainly on tablets (and smartphones) isn't going to invest in a real, substantial game that costs $30-40; they only buy games that are dirt cheap ($5 or less) if not free-to-play titles with in-app purchases. Why do you think the most popular games on mobile are all very simple games (usually puzzle games) like Angry Birds and Candy Crush?

Furthermore, it's a very fad-driven market, with those games remaining popular for a while but fading out as consumer move to the next big thing. Rovio's fortunes are way down and King looks to follow suit. The mobile market in general is not conducive to long-term success, either for game franchises or for the companies that make them. Nintendo's been making games for 35 years. Will Rovio, King and the rest be doing so in 30 years from now? Will Nintendo if they put everything into mobile? I doubt it.

Whatever Nintendo's handheld is, it will have a conventional form factor, launch for $150-200, still use cartridges, and still have games that are typical of the handheld market.

DanneSandin said:
Mummelmann said:
I dunno if that would be a great idea, not a tablet specifically. I just read a report that in Norway, tablet sales were down a whooping 35% last year while the sales of laptops were up by a similar percentage.
The tablet was always a product on kinda shaky grounds, sitting near the territory of being utterly useless between a good laptop and a smartphone and I believe I always said as much.

No, I hope this isn't Nintendo's plan, I think that this could seriously hurt them in their newfound ambition and re-structure.

At long last, the death of tablets! Useless things... It's kinda like a mobile, just... bigger.

I'm exaggerating of course, but I've always found tablets to be quite redundent, so this is happy news indeed. I hope Sweden have a similar development

The Norwegian and Swedish markets are very similar so I imagine it's the same over here.

I never saw the appeal of tablets myself, I recently bought my first laptop though, it does so much more than a tablet and actually costs less, has a better screen, a lot more storage and touch interfaces are useless for proper writing imo. I just simply never understood the point of a tablet, especially when the smartphone is a thing.