Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

Dang I hate playing on tablets... I hope they don't go that route.

Around the Network

It'd already be at least 5 years too late for a Nintendo tablet. At this point they would register as little more than an also-ran. Not to mention the Android OS isn't exactly smooth or well secure, and Nintendo certainly wouldn't want something that could be easily hacked.

Tablets were always transitional technology at best, and it's only a matter of time until they are replaced by larger phones and smaller laptops with disconnectable keyboards. Handhelds may have faded from the days of the DS, but they are at least distinct enough to appeal to a niche, profitable market that won't be going away any time soon. Nothing else, not even a tablet, can replicate the 3DS experience, buttons and all.

nuckles87 said:

It'd already be at least 5 years too late for a Nintendo tablet. At this point they would register as little more than an also-ran. Not to mention the Android OS isn't exactly smooth or well secure, and Nintendo certainly wouldn't want something that could be easily hacked.

Tablets were always transitional technology at best, and it's only a matter of time until they are replaced by larger phones and smaller laptops with disconnectable keyboards. Handhelds may have faded from the days of the DS, but they are at least distinct enough to appeal to a niche, profitable market that won't be going away any time soon. Nothing else, not even a tablet, can replicate the 3DS experience, buttons and all.

"Tablet" is just a general catch all term anyway. 

Nintendo's made handhelds with a "tablet like" (read: non fold out) form factor for years before the DS. 

People also said there was no way Nintendo could make the 3DS/Wii U unhackable, especially since both have an SD Card slot. Well looks to me like they've done a good job as piracy for both systems is down like 95% compared to their predacessors. So you can do it. 

I think "Android OS" is not going to happen technically it will still be a Nintendo OS with a Nintendo OS overlay. *However*, Nikkei usually is not fully wrong either (Nintendo denied two big stories from them recently and both did eventually basically turn out to be true). 

What I think Nintendo will do is Nintendo OS + Android back end that is very tightly controlled and heavily, heavily customized. 

What this will allow is for Android apps to be ported easily, but Nintendo will be able to control which apps are sold and for how much through their eShop. 

So what that allows Nintendo to do is to have a Nintendo OS that has a ton of functionality (they could allow Facebook, Twitter, photo apps, video apps, multiple web browsers, Google Maps) without Nintendo having to do much work at all. They can also allow a certain amount of Android games and charge a licensing fee on them. So kids/parents won't turn their nose at it and say "why should I buy this when my iPad does 1000 different things" ... well ok, what if you can do basically those same 1000 different things plus play Nintendo games for $250 instead of $600 for that iPad. I suspect that sales pitch would interest some people. 

Amazon has the Kindle tablets, and from what I've heard they are not that easy to hack either. Since Nintendo would likely be utilizing a propietary chipset as well, that just makes it even tougher to hack. 

I've only ever really seen people call devices that are just touchscreens and a home button tablets. I've certainly never seen someone refer to the GBA, Atari Lynx, or Game Gear as "tablets" or "tablet-like'" devices.

When I was talking about it being "hackable," I was referring SPECIFICALLY to a tablet with an Android OS. If it ran a proprietary OS, that would not even be an issue I'd bring up (though even the 3DS's security has proven not to be bullet proof, it's nothing compared to the free-for-all that is Android).

On the Kindle, though...that thing may be more secure, but it's OS is pretty crappy. It's slow and glitchy, and from what I've heard the new models have yet to fix that. The only great tablet I've ever used is the iPad, which doesn't have an ounce of Android in it. I hope that if Nintendo does do what you suggest (which would certainly make sense when it comes to getting lots of apps from developers) that they do a much better job of it.

nuckles87 said:
I've only ever really seen people call devices that are just touchscreens and a home button tablets. I've certainly never seen someone refer to the GBA, Atari Lynx, or Game Gear as "tablets" or "tablet-like'" devices.

When I was talking about it being "hackable," I was referring SPECIFICALLY to a tablet with an Android OS. If it ran a proprietary OS, that would not even be an issue I'd bring up (though even the 3DS's security has proven not to be bullet proof, it's nothing compared to the free-for-all that is Android).

On the Kindle, though...that thing may be more secure, but it's OS is pretty crappy. It's slow and glitchy, and from what I've heard the new models have yet to fix that. The only great tablet I've ever used is the iPad, which doesn't have an ounce of Android in it. I hope that if Nintendo does do what you suggest (which would certainly make sense when it comes to getting lots of apps from developers) that they do a much better job of it.

Yeah but I don't really understand why people have such a hard time comprehending that Nintendo isn't beholden to any of these rules. They can make their own OS overlay, and it can run as well (or as poorly) as they want. It's not like there's some royal decree hanging over their head that says everything must be one way. If I recall the Wii/Wii U already can run a non-Nintendo OS (Ubuntu) as an underlay. 

And I do think Nikkei is correct. NX will incoporate a some parts of Android. It'll just be extremely customized. 

Around the Network

Yeah it could happen. Or maybe it can also be an android smartphone device.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

mountaindewslave said:
theprof00 said:

There are only so many ways you can be innovative. Doing something other than a watch, phone, tablet, handheld...borders on insanity. Even a watch would be way out there.

What's your guess? 3 screens? A foldable legal paper sized screen? Glasses?

Let's be serious. Having a tablet doesn't mean it isn't innovative. It's what they DO with it that determines innovation.

Nintend would be foolish to do a tablet though, a huge percent of their handheld gamers today are gamers who grew up with traditional layouts in terms of controllers. would cut off a big market of theirs if they went that route

also I gurantee Nintendo will be focusing much less on innovation than on specs in the next generation. well, of course it will be sort of innovative to have a totally streamlined hardware thing with the handheld/console, that will be newish

You talk about being innovative yet catering to the old demographic.

ANyway, what about a tablet with removable buttons

Why the hell some people think NX will be a tablet? It does not make any sense and there's not a single sign pointing towards it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Sorry OP, hardcore gamers are determined to kill off consoles and handhelds. These devices are supposed to have no added value beyond games, they are supposed play games better than any smartphone, and they have to be beyond cheap. Gamers are killing their own hobbie, and so far the big 3 are doing little more than ridding it out until their is nothing left to gain.

The future of games is going to be streaming services and touch controls, and highly overpriced, but thats the way the majority want it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Hard to tell at this point. Nintendo did say that NX would "Surprise" gamers. So it could be a donut with a circular screen or a Nintendo tablet or even a Nintendo Phone. That would surprise me for sure. But I don't think they will go this route. I doubt if Sony will return so I think Nintendo has an open space to think about their decisions wisely.