By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's next handheld will be a tablet, and that is a good thing

SuperNova said:
Isn't entering the mobile market with their own mobile focused android tablet (I highly doubt android will be on any nintendo console ever anyways....) completely averse to literally everything they've said about their mobile strategy so far, though?
They have stated that their approach to mobile (as well as qol) is done with the explicit goal of drawing people towards their dedicated handheld/homeconsole systems. They have partnered with DeNA to develop an overarching infrastruckture to interconnect their systems not split them further apart. If you ask me, it's likely DeNA will have some kind of input on whatever new OS they develop for their NX/Next handheld/next homeconsole too.
I also doubt they'd try to enter a market that by all accounts is fairly unstable to all but the biggest players, aka Apple and Samsung and possibly shrinking already.
They'll be doing better with the distinction of having something unique of their own.
That being said, do I think it's impossible for the NX/next Hamdheld to have a tablet inspired formfactor à la the gamepad? No not at all. But I don't think they'd ever limit themselves so much as to go with a touch-only interface. There will be physical Buttons, there will probably be a touchscreen too and it all might possibly be doughnut shaped.

What mobile strategy? As of three months ago Nintendo making smartphone games was apparently "impossible, never will happen". 

I'd say all bets are off now. Obviously Nintendo is willing to embrace mobile far more than anyone (even myself) could've imagined just a few months ago. 

Some people need to understand the meaning of the term NUANCE too ... geez, everything is black or white to some people here. Nintendo utilizing some form of Android and a tablet form factor doesn't make their handheld "erhmagawd! It's a junk Android tablet like everyone of them at Best Buy! Tablet gaming suxxors". 

Sweet merciful crap. There are ways of doing that and keeping it distinctly Nintendo and serving all the needs a normal gaming handheld would, but also having added functionality that modern consumers expect from a mobile device. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bobgamez said:

who says you cant have similar buttons on a tablet

The world will apparently end if there's buttons on a tablet I guess. Like seriously the amount of imagination if takes to imagine a Nintendo handheld in a tablet form factor is like nill, lol. If you can't possibly imagine it, seriously you have the imagination of a brick wall. 

Just an FYI ... Nintendo made handhelds for 15 years before the DS/3DS layout became their standard and they will eventually break from this layout, and I'd say  now is as good of a time as any to introduce a new form factor. 

I was wondering why some people on forums think a tablet means Ipad 2.0, it can have buttons, it can be button free, you can attach buttons, you can do a lot of innovative things to replace traditional buttons, ect.. Not everything is black and white, and nintendo never thinks like that anyway. I think a tablet would be awesome and one screen these days is cheaper than 2(im not sure how it works but i heard thats why the 2ds is A LOT cheaper to produce)

Soundwave said:
SuperNova said:
Isn't entering the mobile market with their own mobile focused android tablet (I highly doubt android will be on any nintendo console ever anyways....) completely averse to literally everything they've said about their mobile strategy so far, though?
They have stated that their approach to mobile (as well as qol) is done with the explicit goal of drawing people towards their dedicated handheld/homeconsole systems. They have partnered with DeNA to develop an overarching infrastruckture to interconnect their systems not split them further apart. If you ask me, it's likely DeNA will have some kind of input on whatever new OS they develop for their NX/Next handheld/next homeconsole too.
I also doubt they'd try to enter a market that by all accounts is fairly unstable to all but the biggest players, aka Apple and Samsung and possibly shrinking already.
They'll be doing better with the distinction of having something unique of their own.
That being said, do I think it's impossible for the NX/next Hamdheld to have a tablet inspired formfactor à la the gamepad? No not at all. But I don't think they'd ever limit themselves so much as to go with a touch-only interface. There will be physical Buttons, there will probably be a touchscreen too and it all might possibly be doughnut shaped.

What mobile strategy? As of three months ago Nintendo making smartphone games was apparently "impossible, never will happen". 

I'd say all bets are off now. Obviously Nintendo is willing to embrace mobile far more than anyone (even myself) could've imagined just a few months ago. 

Some people need to understand the meaning of the term NUANCE too ... geez, everything is black or white to some people here. Nintendo utilizing some form of Android and a tablet form factor doesn't make their handheld "erhmagawd! It's a junk Android tablet like everyone of them at Best Buy! Tablet gaming suxxors". 

Sweet merciful crap. There are ways of doing that and keeping it distinctly Nintendo and serving all the needs a normal gaming handheld would, but also having added functionality that modern consumers expect from a mobile device. 

Exactly what I stated in my post. We might not know much at this point but what they have said is that they want it to function as a way to draw people to their dedicated gaming systems. Naturally that might be wrong. They might be lying about what they're trying to do. But just assuming that doesn't get us anywhere near a meaningful discussion.

Not sure if this is aimed at me since i didn't say anything even remotely close to that in my post, but since you quoted me I'm going to respond to it. Actually I just said that I can't imagine them going up against household names in an established market without having something distinct about their handheld. And that in my humble opinion I can't see them doing away with buttons.

Never did I even so much as imply that I don't like android, let alone outright say that it's shit. I just can't see nintendo using it. They love to control their systems, messages and image tight so I cant see them using a famously hackable OS as a root for their systems.

Also I said that I could very well see them using a tablet inspired form factor.

So If bolded was aimed at me I'd say that you failed to see the nuance in my post, not vice versa. And frankly I don't see what I have written to warrant such a rude response from you.

SuperNova said:
Soundwave said:
SuperNova said:

Exactly what I stated in my post. We might not know much at this point but what they have said is that they want it to function as a way to draw people to their dedicated gaming systems. Naturally that might be wrong. They might be lying about what they're trying to do. But just assuming that doesn't get us anywhere near a meaningful discussion.

Not sure if this is aimed at me since i didn't say anything even remotely close to that in my post, but since you quoted me I'm going to respond to it. Actually I just said that I can't imagine them going up against household names in an established market without having something distinct about their handheld. And that in my humble opinion I can't see them doing away with buttons.

Never did I even so much as imply that I don't like android, let alone outright say that it's shit. I just can't see nintendo using it. They love to control their systems, messages and image tight so I cant see them using a famously hackable OS as a root for their systems.

Also I said that I could very well see them using a tablet inspired form factor.

So If bolded was aimed at me I'd say that you failed to see the nuance in my post, not vice versa. And frankly I don't see what I have written to warrant such a rude response from you.

Sorry I was targetting just the general stream of replies. 

It's fairly common especially in Nintendo threads sadly. 

If you suggest Nintendo doing even something modestly differently, some people act like you're suggesting they alter a religious text or something. 

As if some how Nintendo will make every console, every handheld, exactly in the same formula from now until the end of infinity. 

Soundwave said:

If you suggest Nintendo doing even something modestly differently, some people act like you're suggesting they alter a religious text or something. 

As if some how Nintendo will make every console, every handheld, exactly in the same formula from now until the end of infinity. 

Ya I really like the argument, "But it's never happened before!!!!", as if that's proof something can't happen.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Link? I haven't heard anything about Nintendo announcing a tablet.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadow1980 said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah there's no sign at all. None. Nope. I mean this:

Couldn't possibly ever, never, not in a billion years evolve into something like this:

It's unpossible. Clearly. 

Soooo, your argument is "The Wii U gamepad resembles a gaming tablet made by JXD (a company known for clearly ripping off designs from other systems), which is clearly a sign that Nintendo is making a tablet"?

The Wii U gamepad is a tablet.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Soundwave said:

-snip-

Sorry I was targetting just the general stream of replies. 

It's fairly common especially in Nintendo threads sadly. 

It's all good, no offense taken. :)

I get the frustration at the general apathy towards, or even fear of change in some fans.

I like nintendo because they try new things. Granted, sometimes it falls flat on it's face (looking at you virtual boy...) but they do stuff their own way and usually it pays off.

That would be terrible

so NX is a GamePadPro+ slimmer and better version which acts like its own with stored games on a micrSD slot in the gamepad. which ca be used for the Wii U and 3Ds games? :D