By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs their own Amiibos, this is why

I think the issue is that these characters do not have the widespread appeal like those of for example Nintendo.

I don't think they would be able to make enough of an impact in a market with Disney, Nintendo, LEGO and Skylanders, to justify pursuing this.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Around the Network

You consider Alundra children-friendly?

https://youtu.be/EHkN_uaZ5Ok?t=12m14s

https://youtu.be/cahE61AEREw?t=1m55s

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

I would buy them, but I doubt Sony will do it. Sony has had a major issue over the years when it comes to expaniding the PlayStation brand. With all of the great IP's they have, and the movie, tv, and music connections you would think they would of had a Sly, Jak, or Ratchet cartoon years ago. Hopefully, I am wrong, and now that Kaz is in charge things will change.

It is sad because PlayStation should be the biggest brand on the planet, if they had any decent management ios and android would have never happened, and windows would be on the ropes.

Anyways, I would love to have a Jak and Daxter digital figure, a kratos one, a Nathan Drake one, a Knack one, Street Fighter characters, Solid Snake, Cloud Strife, Nariko, and many more. These would be a great addition to sonys new gear.playstation store, and a good start toward wearable tech for PlayStation.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

cheshirescat said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I don't think Sony's IP's have broad enough appeal to warrant something like that. At least in the way Nintendo is doing it.

Having said that. I'd buy a Parappa The Rapper figure lol

I'd put up with sony doing some amiibo bullshit if it meant they'd make a new Parappa Game.

yeah i definitely want a new parappa game

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

If only for a PS All Stars sequel, amirite?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

@OP

May I suggest a different question?

If there were Sony figures similar to the Skylander ones, which ones would you buy?

I'd definitely buy (for a reasonable price):
1. Knack (4-5 if they came in different powers)
2. Nariko and Kai
3. Kraros (and most if not all the gods)
4. Kat
5. Iota from Tearaway
6. The Journey dude with the scarf
7. Sackboy
8. Delsin (Infamous: SS)
9. Dude from Soul Sacrifice

And maaaybe Drake. I'd definitely buy 3rd party ones as well (Sword art online or Ni no Kuni ones would be great).

Ka-pi96 said:
There's not a single reason why they NEED anything like that there...

What about moneyz?

What Sony needs to do is start leveraging some of the contacts they have with Sony Pictures and produce some kid-oriented content for their platforms.

Why did the Vita fail in the west? Because Sony had nothing to sell to kids, which is the main demographic for handhelds in North America. They failed to develop any long-term IP with the PSP that would hook kids for the future. That's a fundamental mistake. Instead, they marketed toward the segment of the population that had moved on to smart phones and tablets and it bit them.

What they should do is go to someone doing well in cross-media for children and offer to form a partnership where they would develop a quality series of games and other media in exchange for exclusivity. That could include film, games, and even Skylanders type toys.

Off the top of my head, imagine a high quality Monster High game with a lot of promotion. There are a slew of possibilities, especially with IP that are trying to gain traction.

That's what Sony should be looking into.

I don't think Sony "Amiibos" would be anywhere close to the success as Nintendo's.

You have to realize that Nintendo's IPs and characters are household names and known globally from kids to adults. How many kids actually know of all those Sony IPs? How relevant are they?

Nintendo has its own theme park coming with Universal Studios which should put into perspective the grand scale of Nintendo characters. Mario is the biggest gaming franchise in the world - Spyro, Crash and Sackboy can't even come close to comparing. 

I think the difference is that Nintendo has a vast catalogue of iconic characters and IPs, whereas Sony is sort of lacking in that. I think they would need to revamp their old properties to make them recognizable again, because really I can only see Ratchet & Clank and LBP working right now.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread