By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs their own Amiibos, this is why

Ruler said:
laopa said:
I think that the problem is that Sony does not own totally half of those franchises meanwhile nintendo owns like 90% of the super smash rooster and stuff that are made into amiibo.

It would be awesome to have figurines of those franchises again in Sony but some franchises like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are owned by activision, the one behind skylanders. Even they have a Spyro figurine (pretty horrible design imo) and well Crash is so dead by now :(.

All IPs i counted are owned by Sony

Spyro and Crash are not owned by Sony. unfortunately Sony did not push to acquire some of the biggest icons that are generally correlated to their brand... they don't have a lot of icons/IPs to be honest

Around the Network

So should MS, I want to see a Master Chief amiibo.

Honestly, I don't think Sony's IPs, or even Microsoft's IPs have the same charm to them like Nintendo's IPs that'll make figurines too successful for the other companies.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

iceland said:

You can have a banjo kazooie one, it'll be out in 2016

Hm, I can see that flopping easily. Just because someone else does it successfully doesn't mean Sony should do it too i.e PS Move and PSABR.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
iceland said:

You can have a banjo kazooie one, it'll be out in 2016

Sweet, they better make a Conker one as well.

outlawauron said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

they dont have the appeal enough to warrant a wide variety of figures imo

and? There are several amiibos that have little brand appeal, but that doesn't stop fans from collecting all of the line.

just not a viable option

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Nah

As someone mentioned it would be hard to implement the same functionality with sony IPs, Nintendo have 2 massive platforms (mario Kart/Smash Bros) and a tons of cute, silly or arcadey IPs where the tacked on costumed and skills make sense. Sonys biggest Ips are Uncharted, God of War, Grand Turismo etc. How is a Jak and Daxter figurine going to fit in with those titles?

Beyond that sony doesn't have the right brand image to pull it off imo, Nintendo's heart and soul is its characters, warmth and nostalgia. It also has the massively cross IP games (mario Kart/Smash... again) to introduce and make people care about characters who'm they never before knew existed. I didn't know or care of Samus, Marth or Captain Falcon until smash bros.

Maybe if sony was team team up with a third party like Square Enix that might work , but SE are a successful publisher they wouldn't need sonys assistence

Edit: Infact sonys best chance would be to usher in a new franchise which could appeal kids and adults alike (ala Pokemon) and introduce a small selection of optional figurines based on characters from the world. I'd argue a fantasy card game (compatible with morpheus) would be great, have rare valuable cards versus expensive and space hogging toys.

mountaindewslave said:
Ruler said:

All IPs i counted are owned by Sony

Spyro and Crash are not owned by Sony. unfortunately Sony did not push to acquire some of the biggest icons that are generally correlated to their brand... they don't have a lot of icons/IPs to be honest

Thats why i seperated them from the others the rest is owned by sony

NOOOOO. It'd bad enough that Nintendo doing it. I'm really not a fan of these NYC things and I hope they die off

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion