By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs their own Amiibos, this is why

Ultrashroomz said:

Honestly, I don't think Sony's IPs, or even Microsoft's IPs have the same charm to them like Nintendo's IPs that'll make figurines too successful for the other companies.

So if thats the case why do want a lot of people Naughty Dog and Sony making cartoony games again? so much that naughty dog had to adress it once. There is a fanbase there

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Ultrashroomz said:

Honestly, I don't think Sony's IPs, or even Microsoft's IPs have the same charm to them like Nintendo's IPs that'll make figurines too successful for the other companies.

So if thats the case why do want a lot of people Naughty Dog and Sony making cartoony games again? so much that naughty dog had to adress it once. There is a fanbase there

Its hard to explain, the only other company that comes close is Capcom in terms of iconic gaming characters, sega/Namco next. (oh and SE)

I mean like some1 said b4, it'll be SSB vs PSASBR again  (Saleswise)

Sack Boy,
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank,
Kratos
The Uncharted Crew Nathan/ Elena/ Sully/ Eddy Raja
Killzone Helgast classes, Redec/ ISA/
Fat Princess
Resistance Nathan Hale/ Chimera

There are so many to choose from, but all in all, I really don't want SONY to go this route.

Just keep the quality games coming, that's what matters most to me.

A key factor amiibo works for Nintendo is because they rely on very well established icons. Since PlayStation's inception a key strategy for them has been creating new IP each gen they showcases the power of the platform.

Really, because they tend to focus on creating new characters amiibo as a concept would have to be altered in order to gain traction in today's market. So no, I don't want to see an amiibo Sony clone because it would fail under those conditions.

I'd be open to hearing pitches about how they could create NFC figurines that featured new characters while igniting the market place, however

Soniibos? Dig it.

In theory, I love the idea but I agree that their IP/mascots just don't have the brand power that Nintendo's do. It's too bad cuz I'd love to get my hands on some Parappa and Jak/Daxter figurines.

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

Around the Network

Well, for starters, Sony would immediately get crucified for "ripping off Nintendo", even though this figure gimmick has kind of been a thing long before the Amiibo's were even announced. For another, it's a gimmick. Most people only buy them for the sake of collecting them because Nintendo is apparently terrible at meeting demand. Sony would be better off just making action figures, or something. Plus, what games could they really apply to, besides a potential PSASBR sequel? I wouldn't mind a sequel to that, but frankly, little Amiibo like figures are one of the last things I'd care to see as an add-on.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

I would buy these: Ratchet & Clank, Journey, Little Big Planet (Sackboy), Drake, Joel/Ellie, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro

No, we don't need Sony Amiibos, there's already skylanders figure's if you really want them. It fits for nintendo, but not really for Sony.

I'm not entirely convinced there's a big enough children's market (yes, I know there is a smaller niche adult audience for game figurines) on the PS4 for Sony to justify doing their own line up of game figurines.

The PS4 already has Skylanders and Disney Infinity figurines for the children's market; I just don't think there's a big enough demand for SCE characters in figurine form compared to the aforementioned.