By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs their own Amiibos, this is why

tbone51 said:
think-man said:
Id rather Sony focused on games rather than toys. I mean just look at Nintendos game line up, maybe if they put as much effort into funding some more games rather than toys they would be dead last this gen. I'm talking about consoles of course before some handheld warrior shoots me down.

I cant believe you think this at all....... Amiibo's are the cause of less games? C'mon are the developers making toys over games now? :/

Amiibo have nothing to do with more or less games being made

They could invest that money into buying more developers or 3rd party exclusives, hopefully they'll use some of that profit they've been making on them towards such things.

Around the Network

Nintendo views their console as a toy, thus making toy figurines is something comprehensible.

Sony does not view playstation as a toy box, so making these pointless childish figurines would not only be unsuccessful financially but also damage the more 'mature' image they have created for the playstation ecosystem.

in essence... glad they aren't doing it :)

Three problems I have with the replies here:

1. What I don't understand is why people assume that if something is not a huge success, it's necessarily a failure. I mean even if they don't end up doing well enough, they can still turn a profit.
People keep mentioning MOVE as failure, but it moved 10m units. If Sony could make a decent profit on NFC figs, I don't see the problem here.

2. Also, I don't see how that would be a distraction. It's not like Naughty dog is gonna stop making Uncharted 4 for an NFC figure.

3. The whole star-power. It's how you sell a product. When Skylanders launched almost everyone on this site predicted a failure. Spyro looked ugly, etc. Turned out to be a multi-billion success for Activision. And let's not forget how well the wiifit trainer has sold. They made amiibos into a cool item (most by creating artificial demand) and it worked.

4. As for the NFC figs being bought only by children. Obviously everyone here is an adult and plenty people are going gaga for them. Not only that but the pictures we see of people buying them are mostly of adults.

I could see this turned into a decent success if they handle it properly.

think-man said:
tbone51 said:

I cant believe you think this at all....... Amiibo's are the cause of less games? C'mon are the developers making toys over games now? :/

Amiibo have nothing to do with more or less games being made

They could invest that money into buying more developers or 3rd party exclusives, hopefully they'll use some of that profit they've been making on them towards such things.

but why when they actually have a way to make money, actual guaranteed money? You say that they can invest money into buying more developers or 3rd party exclusive games right? Which made more money/was more successful? Amiibo or Bayo2+W101?

as your second part, of course, but saying amiibo cuts into making games is silly, especially when 1. they make money and 2 the devs dont make the toys, another company does!

naruball said:
Three problems I have with the replies here:

1. What I don't understand is why people assume that if something is not a huge success, it's necessarily a failure. I mean even if they don't end up doing well enough, they can still turn a profit.
People keep mentioning MOVE as failure, but it moved 10m units. If Sony could make a decent profit on NFC figs, I don't see the problem here.

1)))))I dont think amiibo figurines would sell that much tbh, that said of course it doesnt need to sell as much as nintendo's to make moeny, in fact Amiibo arent close to skylander in sales yet amiibo are succesful, so i agree. 

2. Also, I don't see how that would be a distraction. It's not like Naughty dog is gonna stop making Uncharted 4 for an NFC figure.

2)))))) I said the same earlier

3. The whole star-power. It's how you sell a product. When Skylanders launched almost everyone on this site predicted a failure. Spyro looked ugly, etc. Turned out to be a multi-billion success for Activision. And let's not forget how well the wiifit trainer has sold. They made amiibos into a cool item (most by creating artificial demand) and it worked.

3))))) No arguement

4. As for the NFC figs being bought only by children. Obviously everyone here is an adult and plenty people are going gaga for them. Not only that but the pictures we see of people buying them are mostly of adults.

4))))) Guilty!

I could see this turned into a decent success if they handle it properly.

That said, i dont think it would be successful, i mean Nintendo with amiibo imo are barely scrathing the surface, though maybe they could triple their numbers if they actually made the unicorns (imposssible amiibo to find) available lol.

I see Capcom being the next to do this, they have the most iconic characters after Nintendo afterall