By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs their own Amiibos, this is why

No dude, it doesn't make any sense at all. Sony's biggest IP, Gran Turismo, has no real face and it doesn't make any sense at all for NFC supercars to be made lol. Their other major IP's, Uncharted and God Of War, don't appeal to kids and hence those NFC figures would sell poorly. The rest of their IP's don't really have any major selling power.

Around the Network

"It doesn't make sense, Nintendo's characters are too iconic!"

*Wii Fit Trainer amiibo sells out in an hour*

Sony have botched in a few markets before and they are mostly seen as the corp that panders to teens/adults, I frankly don't see them ever trying to do a Nintendo and appeal to kids let alone go with their own Amiibos.

Sony is doing what they know they are good at and the market they are in, there's no need to try emulating what someone else already started first and is already good at.

I also don't get why you want Sony to steal everyone else's thunder, they don't need Amiibos to be good and they don't need to crush Nitnendo and their fans so it seems foolish to desire such a thing.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

PwerlvlAmy said:
I don't think Sony's IP's have broad enough appeal to warrant something like that. At least in the way Nintendo is doing it.

Having said that. I'd buy a Parappa The Rapper figure lol

Sonys IPs are more known than Skylanders

I wouldn't mind a Hearthstone-style card game.

Around the Network
AvadaKedavra said:

I don't think Sony "Amiibos" would be anywhere close to the success as Nintendo's.

You have to realize that Nintendo's IPs and characters are household names and known globally from kids to adults. How many kids actually know of all those Sony IPs? How relevant are they?

Nintendo has its own theme park coming with Universal Studios which should put into perspective the grand scale of Nintendo characters. Mario is the biggest gaming franchise in the world - Spyro, Crash and Sackboy can't even come close to comparing. 

Sony made theme parks with crash bandicoot before. And not every amiibo now are household names. Chibi robo isnt

RolStoppable said:
From an objective point of view, it doesn't make sense for Sony to do this. Most of their IPs have no pull to speak of, so they would be making a range of obscure toys that stores would be hardpressed to stock. Another thing is that they would have to develop new games for a lot of the mentioned IPs in order to maintain continued interest in their toy line, and that just doesn't seem feasible based on the sales numbers of many IPs. There's not much money to be made from toys when you have to basically losslead with software.

From a subjective point of view, I would welcome it if Sony tried. Nintendo fans would get plenty of opportunities to troll hard. Similar to PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, but on a much grander scale.

The dont need new games just patch the current games on ps4, ps3 and vita.

laopa said:
I think that the problem is that Sony does not own totally half of those franchises meanwhile nintendo owns like 90% of the super smash rooster and stuff that are made into amiibo.

It would be awesome to have figurines of those franchises again in Sony but some franchises like Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are owned by activision, the one behind skylanders. Even they have a Spyro figurine (pretty horrible design imo) and well Crash is so dead by now :(.

All IPs i counted are owned by Sony

Skullwaker said:
I think the difference is that Nintendo has a vast catalogue of iconic characters and IPs, whereas Sony is sort of lacking in that. I think they would need to revamp their old properties to make them recognizable again, because really I can only see Ratchet & Clank and LBP working right now.

Its not that they unknown its just that they arent known for being Sonys IPs

Ruler said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I don't think Sony's IP's have broad enough appeal to warrant something like that. At least in the way Nintendo is doing it.

Having said that. I'd buy a Parappa The Rapper figure lol

Sonys IPs are more known than Skylanders

they dont have the appeal enough to warrant a wide variety of figures imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick