By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't larger devs give Wii U owners a chance through kickstarter or sites like it

WolfpackN64 said:

They ported Crysis 3 to the NVIDIA Shield...

thats a better example i guess. But how well did the game run? and again its still not great because you're comparing a game that came out years ago on last gen to a current gen one

Around the Network
oniyide said:
WolfpackN64 said:

thats a better example i guess. But how well did the game run? and again its still not great because you're comparing a game that came out years ago on last gen to a current gen one

Crysis 3 still stretches quite a lot of PC's. The game looks slightly better than the 360 version and runs a lot smoother. Just to say, if they can make x86 ports run good on both PPC and ARM, the Wii U's CPU shouldn't really be a problem. Performance can of course be an issue, but the ywere SOOO conifdent it would run smoothly.

Wii U had some solid third party titles come out at the beginning, but none of them sold well.Makes perfect sense why 3rd parties won't jump on board. People buy a Nintendo home console for Nintendo games.

spurgeonryan said:

Project Cars for instance. If we want it bad enough we will pay for it!

What will it cost? Do an indiogogo and let the money add up, or do a kickstarter and give us a real test! The kickstarter indie games are proof we will pay for it. So if companies are worried about making a profit, why not make a profit from the start? Is it really that hard?

Could have solved a lot of third party problems over the years! Instead of letting things build up like they did with Project Cars and even Watch Dogs.

Who is "we"? These kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns were multiplatform or PC only.

• The most successful multiplatform kickstarters reached 87k supporters (Broken Age), 67k (Mighty No. 9) and 57k so far (Yooka-Laylee).
  • The most successful PC-only kickstarters reached 75k supporters (Torment: Tides of Numenera), 74k (Pillars of Eternity) and 61k (Wasteland 2).
  • The PC-only crowdfunding phenomenon "Star Citizen" reached 900k supporters by now.
  • They most successful WiiU-only crowdfunding reached... was there a successful one yet? http://nintendo.about.com/od/information/a/Current-Wii-U-related-Kickstarter-Projects.htm

The crowdfunding campaigns for WiiU-versions would only appeal to WiiU-owners. And most (not all) WiiU-owners with an additional PS4, XBO or gaming PC would probably prefer the prettier version for their faster system.

So how many supporters would a WiiU-only kickstarter for a proper port get for a game, which also is released without crowdfunding on other systems? How many supporters would be enough to convince the developers/publishers of a AAA-game, that a WiiU-version would be profitable?

Most of the WiiU-owners wouldn't even be aware of the kickstarter campaign for a WiiU-port. And many who know of the campaign would have their reasons to NOT back the port... why should THEY pay in advance when the owners of the other systems don't have to? Who guarantees them that the WiiU-version gets the care and optimization it needs? What if the WiiU-version is released months later than the other versions?

WolfpackN64 said:
oniyide said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Crysis 3 still stretches quite a lot of PC's. The game looks slightly better than the 360 version and runs a lot smoother. Just to say, if they can make x86 ports run good on both PPC and ARM, the Wii U's CPU shouldn't really be a problem. Performance can of course be an issue, but the ywere SOOO conifdent it would run smoothly.

so does alot of last gen games put on their highest settings. It doesnt change the fact you are comparing a last gen game with a current gen one. If you have an example of a current gen game PS4/x1/PC only, being ported to Wii U without alot of sacrifices i would love to see it. And im not talking indie either.

Around the Network

I see the continuous misuse of Kickstarter has now become the accepted norm in the mind of the masses.

It is NOT intended to be marketing tool. It is NOT intended to be a preorder service.
It is NOT intended for entities that have money but just don't want to spend their own.

Crowdfunding a large dev's game is basically telling them they get make games at 100% profit.

Even if the game is crowd funded completely, it still requires years for a dev to make a game. I'm sure they rather spend that time trying to make the next COD, GTA, TLOU or halo in terms of success.

spurgeonryan said:
Ataraxias said:
I see the continuous misuse of Kickstarter has now become the accepted norm in the mind of the masses.

It is NOT intended to be marketing tool. It is NOT intended to be a preorder service.
It is NOT intended for entities that have money but just don't want to spend their own.

Crowdfunding a large dev's game is basically telling them they get make games at 100% profit.

Why shouldn't they use it for this reason? Companies should try and get 100 percent profit.

Yes, a company should strive for as high profit as possible but this is not actually the way to increase profit.    Unlike a small dev that actually need the funds for day to day living expenses, this only removes risk for the large dev.  

Risk/reward concepts tell us if the practice becomes widespread enough and risk falls across the board, the market would (should) drive the retail price of games downward resulting in less profit.  

We already see a reaction to the risk/reward problem in the proliferation in F2P games, we don't need to help it expand any quicker.

Also as things currently are those platforms make no statements about quality, only that the product is eventually created.

oniyide said:
WolfpackN64 said:
oniyide said:
WolfpackN64 said:

so does alot of last gen games put on their highest settings. It doesnt change the fact you are comparing a last gen game with a current gen one. If you have an example of a current gen game PS4/x1/PC only, being ported to Wii U without alot of sacrifices i would love to see it. And im not talking indie either.

Porting difficulties aside, I know Project Cars is a very demanding game and the Wii U might just not be cut to run it. Yet they were confident the game would run smoothly. It's not really a porting problem but more a problem of overconfidence and making promises they can't keep.

Honestly at this point I don't get why Nintendo fans even care about 3rd party support anymore. It's not going to happen so you might as well just buy a PS4 or Xbone if you want 3rd party games