By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't larger devs give Wii U owners a chance through kickstarter or sites like it

Not sure if it can be done by Kickstarter rules... but something like Bloodstained (in which they are cheating the system as the project is already funded but they were only trying to prove interest to the publisher) can be done, they could ask some value to prove the interest, if the game is founded or not will define if a Wii U port is done, asking for full development cost would be crazy.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Good support = good sales.

Good sales = good support.

Faith and trust are the engines needed to jump start this chicken and egg situation. Neither side has faith or trusts the other side. Stalemate. It is this and nothing more.

And it doesn't seem that either is really interested in giving the first step nor that Nintendo intends to really push it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

And it doesn't seem that either is really interested in giving the first step nor that Nintendo intends to really push it.

Fair statement.  

For Nintendo, there is a balance they must consider.   Push enough to attract non-Nintendo traditionalist consumers but not so much that it impacts their own products.

For 3rd parties, they seem to have a good thing going with what they've established on the other platforms.

Truth be told, solid and sustained 3rd party support (as we currently view it) will never return to Nintendo consoles.

I know you mean software, but it already has impacted their own product. Nintendo has only sold 9 - 10 million Wii Us (9.2 is the lower bound, we can only estimate the upper bound based on NPD, Famitsu/MC), compared to Sony's 22.3 million. While VGC tracking may be suspect, and MS is being deliberately silent on the matter, the Xbox One has also outsold the Wii U nearly every NPD.

Nintendo's inward-looking nature gave us the Wii and the Wii U. When they are able to work on their own terms, they flourish. They have to work on the industry's terms, they flounder. Nintendo got caught off guard by HD development and shaders 5+ years after HD development started. That shouldn't've happened, but it did, and here we are. Here's some food for thought: The year that the Wii U was released, programmable shaders turned 10 years old.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

Because its still not worth it. It's not the interest in the game, it's that the resources that would be spent to make such a port could be better spent getting a better return on investment.

NobleTeam360 said:
Honestly at this point I don't get why Nintendo fans even care about 3rd party support anymore. It's not going to happen so you might as well just buy a PS4 or Xbone if you want 3rd party games

Nintendo + PC combo is better.  I don't have to pay for online and  I can upgrade my PC at anytime.  Let me know the next time you upgrade the GPU or memory on the PS4 or xbox one.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Fair statement.  

For Nintendo, there is a balance they must consider.   Push enough to attract non-Nintendo traditionalist consumers but not so much that it impacts their own products.

For 3rd parties, they seem to have a good thing going with what they've established on the other platforms.

Truth be told, solid and sustained 3rd party support (as we currently view it) will never return to Nintendo consoles.

Unfortunately their pushes haven't been very effective. at least they keep putting very good sw so for MP owners it is great for Nintendo only owners don't know if it would be enough.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sethnintendo said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Honestly at this point I don't get why Nintendo fans even care about 3rd party support anymore. It's not going to happen so you might as well just buy a PS4 or Xbone if you want 3rd party games

Nintendo + PC combo is better.  I don't have to pay for online and  I can upgrade my PC at anytime.  Let me know the next time you upgrade the GPU or memory on the PS4 or xbox one.

That would defeat the entire purpose of consoles to begin with. If we could upgrade parts of a console, video game developers would not be able to optimize for a single architecture specification per platform that allows them to get more out of hardware than they otherwise would. Not only that, but making a console in such a way that it was upgradable would increase the cost of the console dramatically. No more CPUs/GPU/RAM soldered directly to a board, instead they'd have to be socketed. No only would these extra peices add to the cost of the unit, the hardware would have to be less compact as these pieces take up more space, the case itself would be more expensive to design, manufacture and assemble, as these parts would have to be accessable without voiding the warranty. They would also obviously weigh more and cost more to ship. There is no way something like the PS4 could release at $399 if it were made to be upgradable, and even if some manufacturer was dumb enough to do so, theres no way third parties would be willing to eat the added cost of developing for more than one spec per platform.

PC master race people appear to not have a clue why consoles are the way they are, and don't understand why they're not PCs in every way.

daredevil.shark said:
Cloudman said:

When some of the 3rd party launch titles were ports of games that were already several months old, that doesn't sound like giving the Wii U a chance. It sounds like it got sloppy seconds. 3rd party tried to serve out sloppy products and got back the responses it deserved. 

As I have said earlier, "And for the record, mass effect 2 released in PS3 one year later (Xbox 360 and Windows version released before). Yet that "old" game sold 1.42 million copies."

If it was one developer (EA) then we could blame them. But almost all developers are saying this. Time to accept the truth.

Edit:

Fifa 13 (PS3) - 8.15m (25th September 2012)

Fifa 13 (Wii U) - 0.30m (18th November 2012)

Fifa 14 (PS3) - 6.78m (24th September 2013)

Fifa 14 (PS4) - 2.73m (15th November 2013)

You guys sound like a broken record. Saying same thing over and over again. Numbers dont lie. This is reality. And check release date.

Are you really comparing the sales of a game on a console with 80 million to a few million after launch? 

Anyway. Numbers are good and fun, but they actually don't pain the whole picture either. I'm not arguing your point because it's correct. But there were other circumstances that certainly affected it. Part of it was that there was a fair launch lineup on the Wii U. At much as more is better, it can also be worse, especially when it's an older game and went up against a few new IP's that turned out to be fairly heavy hitters. If there is too much something will always be over looked especially if the same game can be purchased through another outet for less than a quarter of the cost. That's not the case for all the games of course, but it's undeniable that to go against anything with Mario in it makes it really rough. If parity wasn't an issue it likely would have been more successful. But all of it is what it is. Games on the system are doing fairly well now, so if there were a time to attempt to bring more third party support again, it would be now. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Goodnightmoon said:
daredevil.shark said:

As many pointed out Wii U owners need to buy instead of complaining. Plus its business. Not charity. You need to create chance. Nintendo blew it.

You are contradicting yourself on this sentence, how can´t  you realize about that? 

He's calling third party software releases the charity because the third parties wouldn't make any money.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

SpokenTruth said:
MajorMalfunction said:

I know you mean software, but it already has impacted their own product. Nintendo has only sold 9 - 10 million Wii Us (9.2 is the lower bound, we can only estimate the upper bound based on NPD, Famitsu/MC), compared to Sony's 22.3 million. While VGC tracking may be suspect, and MS is being deliberately silent on the matter, the Xbox One has also outsold the Wii U nearly every NPD.

Nintendo's inward-looking nature gave us the Wii and the Wii U. When they are able to work on their own terms, they flourish. They have to work on the industry's terms, they flounder. Nintendo got caught off guard by HD development and shaders 5+ years after HD development started. That shouldn't've happened, but it did, and here we are. Here's some food for thought: The year that the Wii U was released, programmable shaders turned 10 years old.

I'm a little confused. Are you saying that they put a GPU with programmable shaders in the Wii U soelely to elicit 3rd party support, that if they had their way it would still use a fixed function TEV and that because of that it has harmed their own efforts? 

Sorry I didn't explain myself better. In the last 10 years, GPU technology has fundamentally changed from a configurable pipeline (fixed function) to a programmable pipeline (the 4 or 5 types of shaders modern APIs running on modern GPUs support). AFAIK, the Wii was the last console. Nintendo seems to have had no idea that this transition happened, and were caught with their pants down, despite the massive amount of money made from the Wii and DS. My point was that Nintendo has a very myopic worldview, and that has to change if they want success in the global gaming marketplace.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos