By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U version of Project CARS facing troubles, likely cancelled

bunchanumbers said:
Done with kickstarter and their lies.

In fairness it's always a risk to pledge, most of the time it works out but I suppose this was one of the unfortunate ones.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:

I mean croudfunded games. Just used the standard one. Like saying Jell-O, or Xerox.

Broken Age was super....well....broken, for a while. And then got split in two. Then the second part got it's own croudfunding campaign again.

Mighty Number 9 got a LOT of croudfunding campains before anything was revealed, then got some more for an anime, then got some more for english voice acting, then when we finally saw gameplay everyone was disappointed.

And there hasnt been word in ages, despite it coming out this year.

Monochroma was to coming to PC, PS3, PS4, 360, XBone and Wii U. Got delayed for two years then everything but the Xbone version was cancelled.

And now Project CARS

That's just off the top of my head

It's no secret that Double Fine mishandled their campaign & production, but the game was finished, released for the platforms it claimed it would be, runs fine, was well-received... In the end they delivered what they promised, just not at the time they originally planned which is true of many, many video games, crowd-funded or not. I never heard anything about a separate campaign for Act 2, nor do I see anything about one with a quick search. What I'm seeing is that they used the profits from the release of Act 1 to fund the completion of Act 2.

Mighty No 9 showed test footage before the first campaign had ended. The latter two "campaigns" (yes there were only two) were just Comcept adding stretch goals to the PayPal, which they left open. You know, continuing to invite more people to back the game to further expand its content. The first beta was released shortly after the first such request, so in fact even by generous definition of what a crowdfunding campaign is and defining "showing anything" as releasing a playable beta free to backers, by "a LOT" I assume you meant two. Both of those later "campaigns" wound up being irrelevant anyway, since Comcept ultimately partnered with Deep Silver to produce that content, anyway (something else backers complained about, what a surprise). Basically everything you said about Mighty No 9 is untrue so I'm not sure I should continue. But despite your claim that "there hasn't been word in ages," in fact less than a month ago they announced this partnership with Deep Silver to release the game this September digitally for all platforms promised and at retail for 8th-gen consoles.

I never heard of Monochroma. It seems to be the first game its studio ever made, so you have an inexperienced developer promising support for 10 or more platforms on a base goal of $80k. I'm sorry if you got burned by that one, but it has "bad investment" written all over it. In any case it seems like it was only delayed by six months, very common for games regardless of where the money came from.

You picked poor examples because there have been several legitimate failures of crowdfunded projects. In spite of that, dozens of games have been successfully crowdfunded and seen through to completion. Problems with Broken Age and MN9 were sensationalized because they are high-profile. You can bet that every time Playtonic or Iga burps the games media is going to be crying that promises were broken and dreams were shattered.

Smear-Gel said:
captain carot said:
Smear-Gel said:

Not to mention the indie scene on Nintendo is really big. Come on, now. You think so much indie games come to Wii U to lose money?

A major part of the problems Wii U has are Nintendos faults or based on the mistakes they made.

And have you ever looked at e-shop charts. Theres hardly ever an indy game in the higher ranks. Most of the time only virtual console and first party. Plus more and more devs quitting Wii U development because they hardly sell.

As for the game, if it is technically to ambitious for hardware that weak, who relly wants a port that downgraded?

More and More quitting development? I havent heard that.

But Gone Home, Octodad, Dont Starve, Hover: Revolt of Gamers, and Binding of the Issac and a lot more are all coming to Wii U, despite already being successful on other consoles. And it already has some high profile indies like Shovel Knight, Affordable Space Adventures and Stealth Inc 2, and Ive seen nothing but positive views of the indie scene from developers and fans alike. And Nintendo features indie games on the front page of the eshop and releases eshop trailers for indies in numerous directs, and even at E3 last year.

Ain't Gone Home canceled for all consoles?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8146667/gone-home-is-no-longer-coming-to-consoles

Sure Nintendo has some pet indie projects which are supported and put in the eShop-spotlight (like Shovel Knight and Affordable Space Adventures) in the past... but not every Indie developer is that lucky and has problems to sell at least 3000 units in the eShop and have more costs (f.e. age ratings) than profits:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/exclusive_eshop_publishers_are_dropping_releases_in_germany_due_to_low_sales_and_cost_of_usk_rating

Twilord said:

If they cancel out on kickstarted Wii-U owners I'd say that warrents a class action suit against them as soon as possible. Ideally before they profit off of Wii-U owner's helping to fund the project. 

JRPGfan said:
Honestly alot of kickstart games dissapoint.
Burek said:

It's Kickstarter, it will probably never happen. Especially with WiiU version being a stretch goal (to my understanding). It is just another lesson in a series of ripoffs and broken promises on that site, since you are not actually buying anything, but donating money in exchange for a vague promise of future gifts.

This time, gift crapped out...

bunchanumbers said:
Done with kickstarter and their lies.

HEY. LISTEN.

DO I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION?

THIS GAME WAS NOT FUNDED THROUGH KICKSTARTER.

WII U VERSION WAS NOT A STRETCH GOAL.

SLIGHTLY MAD IS NOT LEGALLY OBLIGATED TO RELEASE A WII U VERSION.

THANK YOU FOR READING.

cycycychris said:
super6646 said:

The poor performance can be in part because of a horrible and strange architecture. Developers aren't going to spend 1 year porting a day and trying to optimize it, only for you guys to trash it and say it runs horrible. And the Wii U is 299, XB1 is 350. XB1 is 3-4 times more powerful, and has lots of 3rd party support. The Wii U is running last gen hardware, and has almost nonexistant 3rd party support. So I don't think price is an issue here.

No, it's lazyness. It's there job to port a good game over. Not a big enough team and not the budget and time is making shit ports. 

Again, I don't have 400 laying around my house, my bad for just wanting to own 1 console. 

Of course the lazyness excuse. Then your going to tell me some cartoony game runs at 1080p 60 FPS no problem, and then I'll say its because its not graphically intense, and we'll go on and on.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Smear-Gel said:

I mean croudfunded games. Just used the standard one. Like saying Jell-O, or Xerox.

Broken Age was super....well....broken, for a while. And then got split in two. Then the second part got it's own croudfunding campaign again.

Mighty Number 9 got a LOT of croudfunding campains before anything was revealed, then got some more for an anime, then got some more for english voice acting, then when we finally saw gameplay everyone was disappointed.

And there hasnt been word in ages, despite it coming out this year.

Monochroma was to coming to PC, PS3, PS4, 360, XBone and Wii U. Got delayed for two years then everything but the Xbone version was cancelled.

And now Project CARS

That's just off the top of my head

It's no secret that Double Fine mishandled their campaign & production, but the game was finished, released for the platforms it claimed it would be, runs fine, was well-received... In the end they delivered what they promised, just not at the time they originally planned which is true of many, many video games, crowd-funded or not. I never heard anything about a separate campaign for Act 2, nor do I see anything about one with a quick search. What I'm seeing is that they used the profits from the release of Act 1 to fund the completion of Act 2.

Mighty No 9 showed test footage before the first campaign had ended. The latter two "campaigns" (yes there were only two) were just Comcept adding stretch goals to the PayPal, which they left open. You know, continuing to invite more people to back the game to further expand its content. The first beta was released shortly after the first such request, so in fact even by generous definition of what a crowdfunding campaign is and defining "showing anything" as releasing a playable beta free to backers, by "a LOT" I assume you meant two. Both of those later "campaigns" wound up being irrelevant anyway, since Comcept ultimately partnered with Deep Silver to produce that content, anyway (something else backers complained about, what a surprise). Basically everything you said about Mighty No 9 is untrue so I'm not sure I should continue. But despite your claim that "there hasn't been word in ages," in fact less than a month ago they announced this partnership with Deep Silver to release the game this September digitally for all platforms promised and at retail for 8th-gen consoles.

I never heard of Monochroma. It seems to be the first game its studio ever made, so you have an inexperienced developer promising support for 10 or more platforms on a base goal of $80k. I'm sorry if you got burned by that one, but it has "bad investment" written all over it. In any case it seems like it was only delayed by six months, very common for games regardless of where the money came from.

You picked poor examples because there have been several legitimate failures of crowdfunded projects. In spite of that, dozens of games have been successfully crowdfunded and seen through to completion. Problems with Broken Age and MN9 were sensationalized because they are high-profile. You can bet that every time Playtonic or Iga burps the games media is going to be crying that promises were broken and dreams were shattered.

The game coning evebtually certainly doesnt excuse thier mishandling.

I missed the word a month ago but am standing by my previous statements. Im gonns consider two more campains to be a lot when they got so much money already. I dont even hate M9 like the rest of the intetnet. 

Im faiy certain Mono was to be a 2013 game, unless i checked wrong.

Goodnightmoon said:

What a bunch of Freaking liars, I swear God I´m never going to buy anything from this people.

Not only they forgot about the comunity that was supporting them the most, no, now they are leaving the WiiU on ridiculous, and they are talking about the NX like if is coming tomorrow, they even say that they expect it for this E3!

What a bunch of assholes, they are not just leaving the WiiU with no game but with a potential ton of shitty press, false NX rumours and haters food for weeks .... They are only doing damage!! 

GTFO Slighty Mad and never come back, I hope nobody buy your games on a Nintendo console EVER.

It's not their fault Nintendo released a bad system.

User was warned for this post - Starcraft

Smear-Gel said:

The game coning evebtually certainly doesnt excuse thier mishandling.

I missed the word a month ago but am standing by my previous statements. Im gonns consider two more campains to be a lot when they got so much money already. I dont even hate M9 like the rest of the intetnet. 

Im faiy certain Mono was to be a 2013 game, unless i checked wrong.

Mono was planned for December 2013 on PC/Mac/Linux and released on those platforms in May 2014. Consoles were intended to come later. If you push the projected dates given for them back the same six months the other versions were pushed back, they're less than a year behind. Not sure if they will come at all, for the reasons I mentioned.

On the contrary I think that the game ultimately living up to its promises excuses anything that might have transpired during its development. Shovel Knight's release was handled in almost the same way as Broken Age. Both games ran out of funds before the content was completed, and released in an unfinished state so that the profits could be used to fund the development of the rest of the game.

As I said, leaving the PayPal open and adding stretch goals to it is not an additional "campaign." How many campaigns has Star Citizen had, in that case?

AnthonyW86 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

What a bunch of Freaking liars, I swear God I´m never going to buy anything from this people.

Not only they forgot about the comunity that was supporting them the most, no, now they are leaving the WiiU on ridiculous, and they are talking about the NX like if is coming tomorrow, they even say that they expect it for this E3!

What a bunch of assholes, they are not just leaving the WiiU with no game but with a potential ton of shitty press, false NX rumours and haters food for weeks .... They are only doing damage!! 

GTFO Slighty Mad and never come back, I hope nobody buy your games on a Nintendo console EVER.

It's not their fault Nintendo released a bad system.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=203300&page=1

And all this lies are Nintendo´s fault too right?

cycycychris said:
super6646 said:

The poor performance can be in part because of a horrible and strange architecture. Developers aren't going to spend 1 year porting a day and trying to optimize it, only for you guys to trash it and say it runs horrible. And the Wii U is 299, XB1 is 350. XB1 is 3-4 times more powerful, and has lots of 3rd party support. The Wii U is running last gen hardware, and has almost nonexistant 3rd party support. So I don't think price is an issue here.

No, it's lazyness. It's there job to port a good game over. Not a big enough team and not the budget and time is making shit ports. 

Again, I don't have 400 laying around my house, my bad for just wanting to own 1 console. 

It's their job to make a profit.

Only wanting to own one console is a choice you make. However that doesn't put any more onus on any developer to support that system as a result.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.