By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: A stronger Wii U would have won this generation

Ka-pi96 said:
Gourmet said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Gourmet said:
No, a cheaper Wii U would have won. Better yet if it was ARM based and capable to run 3ds games and android APKs, nintendo could have their own version of play store with super easy porting from mobile games, add that to an optional gamepad(console comes with pro controller) with better touch panel and resolution. This way they'd get a real strong software library and unlike any of the competitors.

Exactly how much cheaper though? I mean I can't see the Wii U moving more consoles than the PS4 unless Nintendo were practically giving it away it was so cheap. Even if it could play 3DS games that wouldn't help much and whatever additional sales it got from that would have lowered the sales of the actual 3DS.

Cheaper as in removing the gamepad from bundle, and making the strongest ARM device for the time, somewhat like shield console, maybe $200~250.

That's only $50-$100 cheaper. Not a huge amount of difference and considering the actual Shield hasn't exactly set the world alight either...

Yeah, no doubt it would have done better like that, but beat the PS4? I still don't see it being possible with just that.

Probably not lifetime as this device would need a faster update as the ARM devices are evolving faster. But with a real strong  and unique software lineup and half price, I can see it outselling ps4 the first few years.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
JNK said:

I really doubt that. Similar hardware power and architecture would be enough guarentee for many players imo. The low power of wii was often the excuse devs dont bring games to the wii. that would be dead.

the xbox360 had almost no third party guarantee on its launch. xbox sold very bad. But still it was a big sucsess, just because of the similar power between ps3 and xbox 360.

Console gaming changed alot. Game development costs ALOT money now. Multiplats on console is just normal now a days.

The Wii U didnt get ports from PS3 and 360 when it was a more powerful console. After launch the library dried up when developers simply didnt put games on the Wii U. The Wii U launched 2012, just look at the early 2013 releases on PS360 that didnt launch on Wii U to see the real problem, which wasnt the hardware but developers problems with Nintendo and a lack of faith in the system itself.

DmC
Dead Space 3
Aliens Colonial Marines
Metal Gear Rising
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider (Remastered also didnt release on Wii U)
Sniper GW 2
Bioshock Infinite
PGA 14
Dead Island Riptide
Metro Last Light
Grid 2

12 "big" games released on PS3 and 360 within the first 5 Months of 2013. June had the Skyrim rerelease that you spoke of, that also missed Wii U. The power argument is a poor argument to have, when the Wii U was the most powerful piece of console hardware available to developers for a long period of time. The main Wii U problem is down to a) the unappealing, gimmicky controller and b) a lack of faith in the platform itself from developers and publishers.

2012 was to late. The multiplats doesnt had any difference between xbox 360, ps3 and wii u. Everybidy who cared about the multiplats got an ps3 or 360 or pc already. So there were 0 arguments on playing this games on the wii u.

If the wii u would be much more powerfull, the games would be superior on the wii u compared to the 360/ps3 clones. There would be a reason to get the system to play these games in way better graphics. But why should i get a system to play games with same graphics i can do scince 5 years on my ps3?

Because of the weak hardware the wii u was scince launch only a console for nintendo first party titles.

No, Nintendo couldn't win a generation because the console just wouldn't appeal to casuals. Nintendo needs some sort of fad to help it win. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

JNK said:

2012 was to late. The multiplats doesnt had any difference between xbox 360, ps3 and wii u. Everybidy who cared about the multiplats got an ps3 or 360 or pc already. So there were 0 arguments on playing this games on the wii u.

If the wii u would be much more powerfull, the games would be superior on the wii u compared to the 360/ps3 clones. There would be a reason to get the system to play these games in way better graphics. But why should i get a system to play games with same graphics i can do scince 5 years on my ps3?

Because of the weak hardware the wii u was scince launch only a console for nintendo first party titles.

You need to look at where those games were before Gen 8. Where people had been playing those franchises for X number of years and where they will want to go in the future.

Why would Joe Bloggs give up his X Years of PSN/XBL to jump ship to Nintendo, when the next PS/Xbox will keep his profile, friends and trophies/achievements? You also need to look at the effort put into advertisement campaigns. Sony and Microsoft actively fight over who advertises the biggest games releasing. While these franchises consistently sell Millions of units on PlayStation and Xbox, why would Publishers risk soiling those partnerships by dropping them for Nintendo, where the sales arent guaranteed?

Really the problem isnt power, power is just one small portion of a far bigger picture.

It wasn't just about the power.

Since Nintendo had to prove themselves once again to a certain market, launching at the same time with =/> specs to the competition wouldn't have mattered. What Nintendo needed to do, was copy the 360, and take advantage of the year head start as the lone, true next gen console. This way it has a chance of "stealing" PS360 fans (the not so hardcore but need 3rd party fix) that were tired of the extra long generation.

If Nintendo released Wii U or Wii 2 with XB1 level specs (maybe gamepad sold separate like Wii fit, give it a chance to become popular not forced) it would have done FAR FAR better. It definitely would have bit into PS4/XB1 sales. PS4 would be closer to 15 mil sold and XB1 sub 10. Nintendo at the very least, would have around 17 mil.

Around the Network

Well, as others have stated, that's not a prediction, as you're pretty much looking at a "what if" scenario, and not something that could happen if the future.

Anyways, no, power alone wouldn't have fixed the problem.

Other things such as terrible marketing, lack of 3rd party support, and a tablet controller that Nintendo didn't bother doing much with are factors that didn't help the Wii U as well.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Like a ton of others said, that's not a prediction.

Carl2291 said:
JNK said:

You need to look at where those games were before Gen 8. Where people had been playing those franchises for X number of years and where they will want to go in the future.

Why would Joe Bloggs give up his X Years of PSN/XBL to jump ship to Nintendo, when the next PS/Xbox will keep his profile, friends and trophies/achievements? You also need to look at the effort put into advertisement campaigns. Sony and Microsoft actively fight over who advertises the biggest games releasing. While these franchises consistently sell Millions of units on PlayStation and Xbox, why would Publishers risk soiling those partnerships by dropping them for Nintendo, where the sales arent guaranteed?

Really the problem isnt power, power is just one small portion of a far bigger picture.

well many people switched from xbox 360 (xbox live) to ps4 (playstation network). 

JNK said:
Carl2291 said:

The Wii U didnt get ports from PS3 and 360 when it was a more powerful console. After launch the library dried up when developers simply didnt put games on the Wii U. The Wii U launched 2012, just look at the early 2013 releases on PS360 that didnt launch on Wii U to see the real problem, which wasnt the hardware but developers problems with Nintendo and a lack of faith in the system itself.

DmC
Dead Space 3
Aliens Colonial Marines
Metal Gear Rising
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider (Remastered also didnt release on Wii U)
Sniper GW 2
Bioshock Infinite
PGA 14
Dead Island Riptide
Metro Last Light
Grid 2

12 "big" games released on PS3 and 360 within the first 5 Months of 2013. June had the Skyrim rerelease that you spoke of, that also missed Wii U. The power argument is a poor argument to have, when the Wii U was the most powerful piece of console hardware available to developers for a long period of time. The main Wii U problem is down to a) the unappealing, gimmicky controller and b) a lack of faith in the platform itself from developers and publishers.

Do you know that PS4 is the first console to be the stronger and best selling??? In console space power almost never had anything to do with the success of the console.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Carl2291 said:
JNK said:

Yep I agree with u, people need a strong reason to jump ship from one platform to another. Microsoft stole a lot of Sony's audience with Xbox 360, not necessarily because 360 did the right things but because PS3 did the wrong things. Same goes for PS4 taking back a large chunk of that audience due to Microsoft making some large early blunders with Xbox One. Even if we go back further we can see that the original Playstation stole a lot of Nintendo & Sega's due to them both making some large mistakes.

Basically the way I see it, just making a powerful multimedia box isn't going to do a whole lot for Nintendo unless both Microsoft & Sony make big mistakes that cause the core audience and 3rd parties to look elsewhere and if ur strategy can only work if the competitors mess up than its probably not a very wise strategy to make.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.