By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: A stronger Wii U would have won this generation

More powerful means higher cost right? If Wii U is the most expensive Nintendo console to date, higher price would have damaged the console even more.

Around the Network

Wasn't gamecube stronger then ps2?

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

not a chance. uncharted or halo alone makes for a more appealing first party line up then nintendos entire first party efforts.

small44 said:

gamecube was screwed by minidisks... just like the 64 was by catridges.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

small44 said:

Mainly yes, there were some advantages to the ps2. Clearly larger storage. It had 32MB of main memory and 4MB of video. Gamecube had 3MB of video, 24MB of main memory and another 16MB of very slow memory that cached the optical drive. This was brilliant for making the disc fast to read but wasn't main memory for the game itself. Also ps2 had 5.1 sound support and had high resolution games like Gran Turismo 1080i (1920x1080) which wasn't possible on gamecube. The PS2 had 32bit graphics compared to 24bit on Gamecube. Gave the ps2 an edge in some graphic effects, transparencies etc.

I remember games like MOH Frontline that had full video movie sequences where as the Gamecube had much smaller movie windows and also while playing the game the gamecube was slightly cut down in objects in the world possibly due to smaller main memory.

Generally though I'd easily give the win to the Gamecube over ps2. Clearly the original xbox was the winner for that generation in spec. In almost all areas it was best and many of its games simply wouldn't be possible on either of the other 2 consoles for various reasons unless heavily cut back.

Around the Network
uran10 said:
small44 said:

My point is that even if wii u would have been stronger it dosn't mean it would won this generation

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
uran10 said:

My point is that even if wii u would have been stronger it dosn't mean it would won this generation

N64 was also stronger than PS1

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

More of a hypothetical really.

It would have given it a much better chance anyway. Nintendo would still loose to the exclusive DLC all over the place though due to them not supporting the bribe gaming model that has been set out.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

That seems like a nice theory in retrospect, but I disagree. It's trendy to hate on Nintendo since forever and there's too many fools drinking that "Hardcore" Kool-Aid.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Egann said:
Power was the least of the Wii U's concerns. The major problems were that

1) Nintendo has never been good at gathering third party support, and
2) The Wii U's unique gamepad display made it hard for third party developers to develop for.

The result is that no one besides Nintendo developed for it and you can't sell a console with one studio alone. Power was never a significant issue; it's something forum nerds like us debate over, but is basically immaterial for the rest of the gaming world.

Number one isn't enirely true.  They've never been good at getting third party support since the N64.  Developers no longer wanted anything to do with them since their tactics in prior generations.  Devs slowly forgave them and went back to them, but the people who grew up with their consoles moved to Playstation, and later Xbox, since that's where all the non first party stuff went.  Wii sold well because it got millions of people who'd never buy a game console to purchase because of the motion controls, but once the fad wore off, you get the Wii U, sold to a mixture of dedicated  Nintendo fans or as a secondary console to those who used to be Nintendo fans and just want the exclusives.

The initial loss of third party and the gaming fanbase they once had is the reason they'll never be ontop outside of another Wii.  Imo atleast.