By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: A stronger Wii U would have won this generation

padib said:
bonzobanana said:

Now that you put it that way it sounds a bit more interesting. How many levels of performance are there do you think? is it something like this;

Weak home console / handheld - Tier 1

mid-level home console / high level handheld - Tier 2

high performance console - Tier 3

High performance console with large HDD - Tier 4

Immediately makes you think of PC and I'm sure windows handheld consoles are coming. We already have windows 8 tablets where you can install steam and run your games at very low prices with low settings.

It still has the whiff of failure about it to me and Nintendo pricing is always excessive high.  Also why invest in such a format especially the high end products when Nintendo gets such weak support normally. It may be that NX does well as a handheld but their home console versions sell terribly so what is the incentive for Nintendo to enhance the few games available?

Also if at its heart is a game with a game engine that runs on humble hardware then really all you are going to get is handheld games with upscaled more detailed graphics. This is similar to the wii u situation which can't even match ps3 or 360 for the game engine. If its not cut down on wii u it ends up with lower frame rates. It's only where the game requires low cpu resources does the wii u excel either because its a type of game that doesn't need much cpu power (racing, 2D etc) or the game is written from the ground up for wii u and lowers cpu requirements.

It will be interesting to see what NX really is but I've a feeling at the moment that Nintendo will be exiting the home console business soon and just concentrating on handhelds.

@Tiers. Yes, indeed that is what I'm expecting.

@Lowering the overall quality due to cross-compatibility. 

If it works for PCs, why would it not work equally well for a handful of hardware varieties designed around compatibility?

@What are the benefits.

The benefits Nintendo enjoys from this are generous. First, it allows them to increase their userbase so as to sell much more software across a united userbase, rather than splitting their userbase in two. Second, by uniting its userbase, it allows Nintendo to focus its marketing and naturally word of mouth focuses on one common library of games. Third, the issue of "My console doesn't have this feature or that price" is done away with, since Nintendo will be offering varieties for who wants what.

It's just a winning proposal.

Surely with a pc though the base level requirements keep changing with new games to something like a entry level modern pc equivilant to a mid-level pc perhaps 3 years in the past, or a powerful pc of 5 years ago. However with NX the base level is a handheld of much lower performance.

Might be a winning  proposal for Nintendo if they sell the hardware but I think selling the hardware will be more difficult. It's a confused product line.  However we shall see.  I've a feeling that while PS4, xbone and PC all move to VR and new technologies the NX will get such poor reaction that Nintendo even abandons it before launch. Maybe if the deluxe top end NX model has VR it will be different.

Around the Network

So many variables that it's hard to predict the future but I'm near positive VR will be huge within the next 5 to 10 years. Gaming is far more adult now and companies like Sony and Microsoft are interested in consumers who can spend money so while children are still very important they are not so critical nowadays for console success.

I'd love some VR Mario Kart or Mario 3D World.

why there are no ps360 games on wii U?
the problem is not power.