By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: A stronger Wii U would have won this generation

X86 CPU, more powerful hardware, third party support (for that to happen Nintendo has to actually care a little for something) and that stupid gamepad erased from existence and i think it would have had a chance.

Around the Network

Wii outsold the PS3 and xbox 360. It was the least powerful of them. It had 3rd party support for the most part. 

Typically, sony's consoles dominates the console market unless it screws up. The wii's success was most likely a fluke especially if nintendo can't win any other generation against sony. There's nothing to suggest that the wii u would have won this generation if it was more powerful. 

I don't think that strength of Wii U is one of the main reasons why Wii U failed.

For WiiU to have won it would have to be called Nintendo Playstation...

Power, Marketing, etc isn't the problem... the fanbase of Nintendo consoles since N64 is very much torwards nintendo games, so no amount of power or price would chance the more important part of 3rd parties relationship, which is their games selling.

Besides this isn't a prediction, at most it would be an analysis... If you want to predict say that if NX is stronger and cheaper than PS5 and Xbox Next it will win the gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

No chance.

The Wii U launching at a higher price, right next to the PS4 that would have been $100 cheaper, with no guaranteed 3rd party support?

Would have been suicide.

Around the Network

No, a cheaper Wii U would have won. Better yet if it was ARM based and capable to run 3ds games and android APKs, nintendo could have their own version of play store with super easy porting from mobile games, add that to an optional gamepad(console comes with pro controller) with better touch panel and resolution. This way they'd get a real strong software library and unlike any of the competitors.

Carl2291 said:
No chance.

The Wii U launching at a higher price, right next to the PS4 that would have been $100 cheaper, with no guaranteed 3rd party support?

Would have been suicide.

I really doubt that. Similar hardware power and architecture would be enough guarentee for many players imo. The low power of wii was often the excuse devs dont bring games to the wii. that would be dead.

the xbox360 had almost no third party guarantee on its launch. xbox sold very bad. But still it was a big sucsess, just because of the similar power between ps3 and xbox 360.

Console gaming changed alot. Game development costs ALOT money now. Multiplats on console is just normal now a days.

Ka-pi96 said:
Gourmet said:
No, a cheaper Wii U would have won. Better yet if it was ARM based and capable to run 3ds games and android APKs, nintendo could have their own version of play store with super easy porting from mobile games, add that to an optional gamepad(console comes with pro controller) with better touch panel and resolution. This way they'd get a real strong software library and unlike any of the competitors.

Exactly how much cheaper though? I mean I can't see the Wii U moving more consoles than the PS4 unless Nintendo were practically giving it away it was so cheap. Even if it could play 3DS games that wouldn't help much and whatever additional sales it got from that would have lowered the sales of the actual 3DS.

Cheaper as in removing the gamepad from bundle, and making the strongest ARM device for the time, somewhat like shield console, maybe $200~250.

JNK said:
Ruler said:

Yeah right it lost because it was purple

yes. consoles needs to be cool and so on. and the gamecube just waxnt cool.

Do you think a puprle ps4 would sell? I highly doubt it.

I know many people who pays 50 bucks extra just to get their ps4 and white. Many people got the ps4 just because it looks better as the xbox one.

But youre still wrong, the gamecube was sold in purple and black both for the same price

JNK said:

I really doubt that. Similar hardware power and architecture would be enough guarentee for many players imo. The low power of wii was often the excuse devs dont bring games to the wii. that would be dead.

the xbox360 had almost no third party guarantee on its launch. xbox sold very bad. But still it was a big sucsess, just because of the similar power between ps3 and xbox 360.

Console gaming changed alot. Game development costs ALOT money now. Multiplats on console is just normal now a days.

The Wii U didnt get ports from PS3 and 360 when it was a more powerful console. After launch the library dried up when developers simply didnt put games on the Wii U. The Wii U launched 2012, just look at the early 2013 releases on PS360 that didnt launch on Wii U to see the real problem, which wasnt the hardware but developers problems with Nintendo and a lack of faith in the system itself.

DmC
Dead Space 3
Aliens Colonial Marines
Metal Gear Rising
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider (Remastered also didnt release on Wii U)
Sniper GW 2
Bioshock Infinite
PGA 14
Dead Island Riptide
Metro Last Light
Grid 2

12 "big" games released on PS3 and 360 within the first 5 Months of 2013. June had the Skyrim rerelease that you spoke of, that also missed Wii U. The power argument is a poor argument to have, when the Wii U was the most powerful piece of console hardware available to developers for a long period of time. The main Wii U problem is down to a) the unappealing, gimmicky controller and b) a lack of faith in the platform itself from developers and publishers.