By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - May 4th to May 10th

cheshirescat said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
The XenoBlade dropped is not worse than the BloodBorne dropped. 150k ----> 20k and 85k ----> 10k.
But of course, people say "DOOMED" for XenoBlade and succes for BloodBorne... seem legit...

I think I know the reason for the xenoblade drop:

People are too afraid of the ghost cars.

LOL!!!

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Teeqoz said:

Percentage wise, it is worse though...

20/150*100 = 13.3

10/85*100=11.8

Not to mention that Bloodborne has overall higher numbers (in Japan), so it is more succesful. This was supposed to be up compared to the original, but that's looking very unlikely (in Japan).

When i say that XenoBlade is more/equal succesful than BloodBorne? I just say that the second week was a big dropped for all two games. any way, if you ask me, Xeno have sold decent, and BloodBorne good (not at succes level) in Japan.

Globally, BloodBorne was a succes, because +1M in 2 weeks is very good.

And 1.5% dropped different is nothing...

You said the drop wasn't worse than Bloodborne's... It was worse...

Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

When i say that XenoBlade is more/equal succesful than BloodBorne? I just say that the second week was a big dropped for all two games. any way, if you ask me, Xeno have sold decent, and BloodBorne good (not at succes level) in Japan.

Globally, BloodBorne was a succes, because +1M in 2 weeks is very good.

And 1.5% dropped different is nothing...

You said the drop wasn't worse than Bloodborne's... It was worse...

By 1.5% xD

Microsoft making lots of money, thanks to minecraft.

Kyuu said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
The XenoBlade dropped is not worse than the BloodBorne dropped. 150k ----> 20k and 85k ----> 10k.
But of course, people say "DOOMED" for XenoBlade and succes for BloodBorne... seem legit...

Oh tolu..

1) Bloodborne's genre is less Japan oriented and it's a new IP as well.. the low sales are expected. For a game of its kind, it didn't perform that bad. Contrary to Xenoblade which is a proper JRPG and a sequel.

2) People did actually express disappointment in Bloodborne's second week in Japan, even though the drop was slightly less.

3) The overall sales determine whether a product is a failure, not the second week drop. Well.. Blooborne nearly doubled XCX's first couple of weeks.

4) PS4's install base is smaller than Wii U's, isn't it?

5) Bloodborne's global success makes up for the weak performance in Japan. Hopefully Xenoblade turns out a success as well when it's released worldwide.

all point) You probabily not even read the rest of my comment if you talk about WW sales or the BloodBorne succes...

Around the Network

Wow, Vita is holding better than expected! 18k without new game is good imo. I guess Minecraft is helping Vita a lot (Japan and Global). Minecraft is a beast!!! 16k from PS4 is also good.

Kyuu said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Kyuu said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Oh tolu..

1) Bloodborne's genre is less Japan oriented and it's a new IP as well.. the low sales are expected. For a game of its kind, it didn't perform that bad. Contrary to Xenoblade which is a proper JRPG and a sequel.

2) People did actually express disappointment in Bloodborne's second week in Japan, even though the drop was slightly less.

3) The overall sales determine whether a product is a failure, not the second week drop. Well.. Blooborne nearly doubled XCX's first couple of weeks.

4) PS4's install base is smaller than Wii U's, isn't it?

5) Bloodborne's global success makes up for the weak performance in Japan. Hopefully Xenoblade turns out a success as well when it's released worldwide.

Point 5) You probabily not even read the rest of my comment if you talk about WW sales or the BloodBorne succes...

fixed it for you.

Nope, nothing fix, because i didn't say XenoBlade in Japan was a bigger succes than BloodBorne, i just say the second week was the same in term of % dropped.

What is the sense of the Wii U install base / the succes of genre / the first week sales ?????

Ryng_Tolu said:
Kresnik said:

I'm sure it will eventually, but "incoming" =/= "eventually".

Everything drops massively over the summer, but Vita didn't go sub-10k last year until October.  That's a long way off.

Well, last summer PSVita was barely at 12,000 to 15,000... assuming will be worst than last year (the week withouth games) i can see Vita at 10,000 to 13,000.

But yeah, maybe not under 10k...

As Kresnik said, there are still Minecraft legs which will help Vita a lot. 
And in this summer Vita is getting more games than in the last summer. 

Kyuu said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Oh tolu..

4) PS4's instal base is smaller than Wii U's, isn't it?

You forgot that Bloodborne had ship problems in the second week and Xenoblade X not!

RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:
I really don't understand Japan. Why don't they want Xenoblade? There are so few JRPGs around, I thought they would lap this up. I guess the artstyle and combat are at fault. Or maybe just the Wii U's audience.

It has been a theme for many years that it's hard to establish new IPs in Japan, so what sells are old IPs and games based on licenses like anime tie-ins.

However, the specific problem with Xenoblade is that it targets people who are already fans of JRPGs, so its sales potential is inherently limited. Dragon Quest has been consistently successful over the generations because it is a solid baseline for the JRPG genre. If it is the first JRPG you ever play, it's no problem at all. The mechanics, rulesets and progression are straightforward and don't put any pressure on the player, so everyone can go at the pace that suits them best.

On the other hand, Xenoblade can overwhelm even experienced players with its rules, the size of its world and the amount of choices. The developers of Xenoblade are also no strangers to doing too much; after all, their Xenosaga got reduced to three games instead of the originally planned six because of the lack of success. While a game like Xenoblade will be highly regarded among enthusiasts, it simply lacks the appeal to a broader base. That's why a port to the 3DS, a system with a strong JRPG fanbase, didn't make a notable difference to sales either.

I completely agree. People jump at those bigger IPs because they're easier to get into and familiarity with it gives the consumer a bit of confidence that they'll be able to enjoy it. Games can be in the same genre, but appeal to a completely different base. Xenoblade is a good example of one of the low/mid level JRPGs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.