By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the dedicated handheld market really dying or simply returning to normal?

Nintendo and Sony both fucked up their handhelds. They deserved to sell under expectations. What the 3DS and Vita brought was nothing compared to what the DS and PSP brought. Hopefully the next set will bring something new to the table that'll get more people to buy handhelds again.

Around the Network

I feel that handhelds are dying down, but it seems hard to say if they are truly doomed or not. I think the next generation of handhelds can determine whether it is or not. The 3DS didn`t do DS numbers, but over 50 mil is nothing to frown at. The only thing that seems apparent is that Sony needs to step up their game or step out.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Jranation said:
zorg1000 said:

When taking 7th Gen out of the equation, we are looking at 3DS/Vita doing similar numbers as handhelds in the 4th/5th/6th generations, do u see this continuing or are smartphones/tablets really killing dedicated handhelds?

I think it will! Since theres soooo much new technology coming out these days, it will be very hard to compete. And not only the next gen handhelds will evolve, but also the smartphones. Who knows what Apple could do in their next 2-3 phones that will blew everyones minds. 

But you see I would say it isn't the technology but the ecosystem that creates the disparity between handheld and mobile markets.  The handheld market is built on the premium model, the mobile on the freemium model.  Those who desire and expect one will not be comfortable with the other.  So I think handhelds will stick around for a while yet for that reason in particular: the premium model.  It's a smaller market than the freemium by nature, but still plenty lucrative for now.

I think the issue with this gen is the 3DS and later models of the Vifa have been less useful compared to their predecessors. If Sony and Nintendo were offering 4G models of these devices sales would be much higher. Instead they have given away all of the marketshare they gained last gen to tablets and smarthones that are always connected devices.

I really hope both companies release phone and tablet versions of thier next handheld platform. Android and iOS are complete garbage and completely useless for me as my primary reason for buying eletronics is for gaming. Give me a well supported platform that is games first, but also does calling, texting, banking, etc. then I am there.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Dedicated handhelds that have less appeal to a younger audience are dying. 3DS is staying afloat because it appeals to all ages, whereas Vita is mostly focused on core gamers with games that appeal more to an older audience. Problem that same audience is more likely to stick with their smartphones, rather an outdated clunky device, vice younger audiences who don't have or need smart phones.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network

Mobile phones are shit doh

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Many people, somehow, do not understand what the words "dead" and "dying" mean. It's amazing. Every time something normalizes to a lower baseline, it's supposedly dying. Cracks me up sometimes.

pokoko said:
Many people, somehow, do not understand what the words "dead" and "dying" mean. It's amazing. Every time something normalizes to a lower baseline, it's supposedly dying. Cracks me up sometimes.

I say the same thing when people say WiiU is dead. (vita too if im in the mood :p)

They both underperformed so badly but something dead does not ship 3mil+ a year lol.

pokoko said:

Ya I remember seeing a few people say that Call of Duty was dying because it doesn't sell as well as it did a few years ago.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

"Hardware-200.2 million"

What handhelds are these?