By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Vita is outselling Wii U - though Wii U is getting more love from it's developer

BlowoverKing said:
tbone51 said:

non existent 1st Party

water downed ports 

Niether of the bolded are true. While Sony as of late haven't released tons of games for it, the first 2 years were full of Sony releases. It got games from known franchises Like Uncharted, Wipeout, Modnation, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Sly Cooper, Killzone, and even Oreshika. It got HD collections from Jak and Daxter, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. It got New IPs like Little Deviants, Unit 13, Gravity Rush, Smart As, PlayStation All-Stars, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, and Freedom Wars. Now games like Little Deviants and Resistance didn't turn out the best but Sony still put up the money for their development.

Also games like Killzone Mercenary, LittleBigPlanet Vita, and the holy grail Persona 4 Golden are considered to actually be better than their console counterparts. While games like Sly Copper TiTS, Dragon's Crown, Final Fantasy X/X-2, and PlayStation All-Stars are just as good as the console versions.

Srry, tbh i ment the last year or 2. I kno 1st party was actually presented within its first year and half with some even in 2014 such as Freedom Wars.

As for the "Watered Down" i shouldnt have said it as all (close to all), so my bad on that. I meant a couple notable ones. (BL2 for example)

As for better than Console version...

Killzone Mercenary~ Seems good, i actually heard it was a very good game and people enjoyed it more than Shadow Fall (srry the ps4 game)

LittleBigPlanet Vita~ Heard this game is good for HH. Makes sense

Persona 4 Golden~ Same boat as LoZ OoT/WW HD/etc, i dont count these games as the purpose of them are suppose to be updates/surperior versions :p

Around the Network

i dunno, vita was outselling the Wii U by more at this time last year, and the Wii U still closed the gap by a million from november until now. The thing is Nintendo consoles sell very good during the holidays while the vita sells so terribly in the west that it's not that huge of a factor. Wii U managed to outsell vita nearly 3 to 1 in december and 2-1 in november. We'll have to wait and see but celebrating over a 10k weekly gap in march when Wii U outsold it by 180k for 3 weeks in a row in december seems a little premature.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Problem here is:

The Vita is competing with the 3DS. 3DS is likely to sell 80m-100m and does not take much software from the Vita. Both have a lot of exclusives from certain companies.

The wii u is competing with the PS4 and the XB1. Both may sell 100m+ and 70m respectively and makes the wii u devoid of any 3rd party support.

Relatively it is harder for the wii u to compete especially since with the Vita-3DS situation you either buy the 3DS or you buy the Vita. while in the PS4-XB1-wii u situation you either buy the PS4 or you buy the XB1. (and maybe wii u on the side) MS is probably pretty happy that the PS4 is close to XB1 in power, otherwise it may have even sold worse then the wii u.

mysteryman said:
sabvre42 said:

Just to point out... the vita 2000 was released in Q2 (calendar) 2014. It was bundled with Borderlands 2.

Theres also the PS TV which usually gets agregated into vita sales.

And in terms of support.... the Vita gets weekly releases, and 2 free games a month from your PS+ sub, and most importantly is 1,000,000x better than the gamepad for remote play.

Except when it comes to minor things like latency and framerate...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play

Got to love a nintendo fan. Quote an article that attacks remote play... and not actual experience ;).

As I said earlier, there is no latency, and there is no frame rate issues IF you do the exact same thing as the gamepad and directly connect to the PS4 (which puts the same limitations on distance as the WiiU).

However, remote play can also work outside of 30 ft -- by using remote play across the web and this is something the WiiU cannot do and makes its 1,000,000x better.

Samus Aran said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Does PS TV count?

That's included with these sales.

No, PS TV sales are not included in PS Vita numbers here!!!

Around the Network

PS TV sales are not included in PS Vita numbers here!!! 

Example:
PS TV sold 30k in February NPD and PS Vita sold 30k in February NPD.
VGChartz is saying that PS Vita sold only 30k in February.

Aerys said:
Vita has a better library, much more games, simple.

Wii U has almost no 3rd party support

That is right!

bunchanumbers said:
The only thing I got from this post is that you admit that the Vita is dead!

OT the Wii U is a experiment from Nintendo. Its their first foray into HD gaming and there was bound to be experiments and growing pains and that is good. It means their next console will be even better.

Looking at this logic, every Nintendo console was an experiment... 

N64 = first time 3D games
Gamecube = a lot new franchises
Wii = very family friendly console

Once again:
1. Vita should actually be compared to 3DS and Wii U to PS4One. And in that case both are doing terrible. Comparing Vita to Wii U only makes sense if you dont want that it's two weeks old roadkill and not a happy, healthy bunny.
2. Vita has it's best months right now. Like last year. Because of japanese releases.
3. Vita is alive in Japan, dead everywhere else.
4. Sony has been doing a lot, like the Mega Pack being sold for 3DS prices. And PS+ as well as crossbuy definitely help it. Firesales for Vita and Vita TV sure helped to sell at least a few in the west.

Wii U is in a bad shape as well. And Nintendo basically has done nothing to make Wii U more attractive. High price, advertising only in kids tv at least at my place...
But selling way more software, most of it first party. At least physical copies.

Right now it is like the guy with the lung cancer insisting that the other guy with the brain tumor is in a worse condition.

sabvre42 said:
mysteryman said:
sabvre42 said:

Just to point out... the vita 2000 was released in Q2 (calendar) 2014. It was bundled with Borderlands 2.

Theres also the PS TV which usually gets agregated into vita sales.

And in terms of support.... the Vita gets weekly releases, and 2 free games a month from your PS+ sub, and most importantly is 1,000,000x better than the gamepad for remote play.

Except when it comes to minor things like latency and framerate...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play

Got to love a nintendo fan. Quote an article that attacks remote play... and not actual experience ;).

As I said earlier, there is no latency, and there is no frame rate issues IF you do the exact same thing as the gamepad and directly connect to the PS4 (which puts the same limitations on distance as the WiiU).

However, remote play can also work outside of 30 ft -- by using remote play across the web and this is something the WiiU cannot do and makes its 1,000,000x better.

If you actually read the article, which I'm sure you did, then you'd know that they tested both modes (remote play and via router). With both modes exhibiting unfavourable latency. Meanwhile the gamepad has latency lower than the Wii U connection to many TVs. I believe it is the same for framerate reduction on the Vita, all games are cut to 30fps.

Is the functionality of remote play not the core of the "actual experience"?

I'd much rather solid 60fps where applicable and minimal latency while playing than being able to connect via router. If you're buying a home console and handheld for this experience, I'd rather play the 3DS on the go.

Or just take the Wii U with me :)