By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Vita is outselling Wii U - though Wii U is getting more love from it's developer

sabvre42 said:
mysteryman said:
sabvre42 said:

Just to point out... the vita 2000 was released in Q2 (calendar) 2014. It was bundled with Borderlands 2.

Theres also the PS TV which usually gets agregated into vita sales.

And in terms of support.... the Vita gets weekly releases, and 2 free games a month from your PS+ sub, and most importantly is 1,000,000x better than the gamepad for remote play.

Except when it comes to minor things like latency and framerate...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play

Got to love a nintendo fan. Quote an article that attacks remote play... and not actual experience ;).

As I said earlier, there is no latency, and there is no frame rate issues IF you do the exact same thing as the gamepad and directly connect to the PS4 (which puts the same limitations on distance as the WiiU).

However, remote play can also work outside of 30 ft -- by using remote play across the web and this is something the WiiU cannot do and makes its 1,000,000x better.

If you actually read the article, which I'm sure you did, then you'd know that they tested both modes (remote play and via router). With both modes exhibiting unfavourable latency. Meanwhile the gamepad has latency lower than the Wii U connection to many TVs. I believe it is the same for framerate reduction on the Vita, all games are cut to 30fps.

Is the functionality of remote play not the core of the "actual experience"?

I'd much rather solid 60fps where applicable and minimal latency while playing than being able to connect via router. If you're buying a home console and handheld for this experience, I'd rather play the 3DS on the go.

Or just take the Wii U with me :)

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
bunchanumbers said:
The only thing I got from this post is that you admit that the Vita is dead!

OT the Wii U is a experiment from Nintendo. Its their first foray into HD gaming and there was bound to be experiments and growing pains and that is good. It means their next console will be even better.

Looking at this logic, every Nintendo console was an experiment... 

N64 = first time 3D games
Gamecube = a lot new franchises
Wii = very family friendly console

experiments happen when you're the only console maker who is pushing the gaming industry forward.

Just that with all love Nintendo isnt the only one.

mysteryman said:

If you actually read the article, which I'm sure you did, then you'd know that they tested both modes (remote play and via router). With both modes exhibiting unfavourable latency. Meanwhile the gamepad has latency lower than the Wii U connection to many TVs. I believe it is the same for framerate reduction on the Vita, all games are cut to 30fps.

Is the functionality of remote play not the core of the "actual experience"?

I'd much rather solid 60fps where applicable and minimal latency while playing than being able to connect via router. If you're buying a home console and handheld for this experience, I'd rather play the 3DS on the go.

Or just take the Wii U with me :)

Firmware 2.5 changed the 30fps to 60fps. The only drawback, is that they don't let you record gameplay on the ps4 while remote playing at 60 fps.

But again, I'm telling you. The experience when directly connected is flawless in terms of latency. The only complaint i have is the lack of  L2/R2. Its the whole reason many people like myself would double dip and buy a new vita if they gave the second bumper (instead of having to use the touch screen or rear screen to send those inputs).

I do notice latency issues sometimes when playing via router, but i do NOT have issues when directly connected.

WiiU has big marketing?

Around the Network
naruball said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
naruball said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Vita is dead. That's all.

And that's why will not have the legs of the other PlayStation consoles.

Also: "Handheld in the west are death" lol, and 3DS is selling better than XBO in the US and x3 in Europe...

Repeating what you said does not help with anything, Ryng. At least explain what you mean by it.

How i must explain? Vita is a dead console, withouth the Sony support, because after Sony looks how bad was the Vita sales hes abandons Vita.

Wii U too, bad sales, but Nintendo continued to support this console, and thanks this, this will be one of the rare cases when a Nintendo console will have a better legs than a Sony console, and that's all.

For the "Handheld are dead in the West", i say that is not true, because 3DS is, after PS4, the console with the bigger sales, both in the US and EU, and that's not because 3DS sell bad, but because PS4 sell too good, 3DS actually sell more than XBO in the US... that's why you can't say that 3DS is dead in the US. (and EU)

So let me get this straight.

Sony does not develop games for vita, but Japanese developers and Western developers do, hence the sales being higher than wiiU, but it's dead.

Ninty supports its console with 1st party games, but 3rd party support on WiiU feels non-existant, hence the worse sales than vita, but WiiU is not dead.

I don't get this logic. They're either equally dead or equally alive. The point is that an equal number of people are getting games they like and buy a console for. Whether it's first or 3rd party is irrelevant. Also keep in mind that support from a company is not only in terms of 1st party games but also deals with 3rd parties, like Sony and Capcom with the latest Resident Evil game.

I think people are looking at the systems in terms of life regarding the developers involvement too- the Wii U is probably more likley than the Vita at this point to do BETTER and improve its sales because it is still getting extremely strong support from Nintendo, and the Playstation Vita on the other hand has been practically abandoned by Sony and is only living due to third party developers

I don't necessarily EXPECT the Wii U to improve its performance in sales, but between the 2 systems (Vita / Wii U) it is probably the only option with possibility of gaining any traction

johnsobas said:
i dunno, vita was outselling the Wii U by more at this time last year, and the Wii U still closed the gap by a million from november until now. The thing is Nintendo consoles sell very good during the holidays while the vita sells so terribly in the west that it's not that huge of a factor. Wii U managed to outsell vita nearly 3 to 1 in december and 2-1 in november. We'll have to wait and see but celebrating over a 10k weekly gap in march when Wii U outsold it by 180k for 3 weeks in a row in december seems a little premature.

I love how this was ignored, even though it's very much the truth.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

mountaindewslave said:

I think people are looking at the systems in terms of life regarding the developers involvement too- the Wii U is probably more likley than the Vita at this point to do BETTER and improve its sales because it is still getting extremely strong support from Nintendo, and the Playstation Vita on the other hand has been practically abandoned by Sony and is only living due to third party developers

I don't necessarily EXPECT the Wii U to improve its performance in sales, but between the 2 systems (Vita / Wii U) it is probably the only option with possibility of gaining any traction

There's no doubt that wiiu will beat the vita easily this year, just like it did last year. But the point is that it's weird that the vita, a so-called dead console, is beating another console that people argue that is not dead. If wiiu was beating ps4 even for a month, it'd be a big deal. Same with xbone. When xbone was beating the ps4 in a single region, it became, understandably a bid deal.

What the OP is saying is that the vita has everything going against it and it still beating the wiiU even by a little. In a way, it is defying the odds. It's not doing well or even ok, just surprisingly better than people give it credit for.

I love my Vita.
I play it almost everyday.
With the vast amount of free titles that ps+ dishes out every month for the Vita, there is never a shortage of Vita titles to play.

Compile that with the ability of remote play, my Vita gets much play.

Fact to the matter is, the Vita has a far better line up than the Wii U does.

More Original Vita games, more Indie titles, Remote play with PS4 games. No wonder the Vita is selling better.

The difference between Vita and Wii U being dead or not is probably more depending on the games released. Vita just got games in Japan. But outside Japan it's mostly indy and old PSP games as downloads and absolutely zero support from Sony themself in terms of (big) first party software.

That first party stuff is something Wii U has, as well as some indies.