By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Are Gamers So Easily Hyped Up?

Because it ignites the imagination. I don't have to have 100% believe that game is going to be amazing for me to hyped for it, the hype comes from me thinking "what if" and excitedly waiting for new content to see how close they come.

The honest truth is life is simply better when you allow yourself to be excited for things.

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
vivster said:
Mr.Playstation said:
vivster said:
Mr.Playstation said:
Ruler said:
Because sometimes they deliver like bloodborne did

Though with every Bloodborne there is an Order 1886, Destiny and Watch Dogs.

All of which are not bad games and most people who were hyped for it also enjoyed it.

The disappointed are only a fraction of the hyped people who are having actual fun. And a lot of the "disappointment" comes from people who were skeptical to begin with and didn't preorder.

Though there still was a huge drop out of hype from gamers. Usually the hype train goes something like this:

The last of Us hype pre-release = or < The last of us Hype post-release

Or this:

Destiny Hype pre-release < Destiny hype post release.

There was still a huge drop out of hype, which in games which delivered isn't present. Sure some may be satisfied, but most are not. Considering everything people, people were saying it would be the next GTA or COD but it ended up short ( by a large margin ).

Games getting hyped post release are really really rare. That's not because all other games are shit but because some games just receive universal acclaim. TLOU is one of a kind with medium hype pre release and then everybody jumping on the bandwagon after reviewers told them it's really good. It's the exception to the rule

There is simply no reason why games should be hyped after release. Most people had their fill and there is not much reason for publisher to advertise it much more since the brunt of the sales is already behind them.

You are running to conclusions here based on internet people. Of course the negative voices are louder. Because the people who are still hyped for the game are actually playing it instead of complaining about it. That's especially true for "bad" games like Titan Fall or Destiny where you're instantly a social pariah if you say anything good about them because the internet already decided it sucks.

I really don't get the point of this thread. Are you saying that hype is bad? Or are you saying that gamers are hyped more than fans of other mediums? If not, what are you saying?

If you're asking why hype exists you better go to the next psychologist and he will tell you it's human nature.

I'm saying that gamers just get hyped up for almost nothing.

Look at Yooka and Laylee: It looks like your everyday  latformer made in 1999 ( not necessarily bad ) the reason people are getting hyped is because of rare. Conclusion= Hype for nothing

Look at Splatoon. It's definitely hyped as the Nintendo's  story.on FPS shooters. So far it's even had fans dissapointed ( lacklustre trailers and so on ). Conclusion= Hyped because if Nintendo

Look at Uncharted 4. Hyped because of it's graphics and story, both of which may not be delivered. Conclusion= Hyped because of Naughty Dog and an E3 Trailer.

This thread is also there ( to a lesser extent ) to say that unless gamers stop this excess hype, then pre-orders will get more common and hype cash-in will get more common. So yes Hype at the end of the day is also bad.

My friend got a Wii U for Splatoon purely because of the E3 demo and it was beloved by the masses at Evo. They showed off the heart of the mechanics by having full multiplayer rounds, but with less content.

Yooka-Laylee is the spiritual successor to one of the definitive 90s platformers, the fact it looks like a good one after 3 months of dev time and a low budget just goes to show its potential. Also people have wanted a new good Banjo-Kazooie for years and this game has the talent needed for one. Supply and demand.

One question, had a group of old Naughty Dog fellows gotten there first and offered 'Bash Merkat' would you really be surprised by it making alot? Then add to the mix Banjo Kazooie being a better game (nothing against Crash, the mechanics just reflect on it being born of an earlier time in 3D, doesn't mean a new one couldn't be awesome I am just saying Banjo holds up better by modern standards).

Twilord said:
Mr.Playstation said:

I'm saying that gamers just get hyped up for almost nothing.

Look at Yooka and Laylee: It looks like your everyday  latformer made in 1999 ( not necessarily bad ) the reason people are getting hyped is because of rare. Conclusion= Hype for nothing

Look at Splatoon. It's definitely hyped as the Nintendo's  story.on FPS shooters. So far it's even had fans dissapointed ( lacklustre trailers and so on ). Conclusion= Hyped because if Nintendo

Look at Uncharted 4. Hyped because of it's graphics and story, both of which may not be delivered. Conclusion= Hyped because of Naughty Dog and an E3 Trailer.

This thread is also there ( to a lesser extent ) to say that unless gamers stop this excess hype, then pre-orders will get more common and hype cash-in will get more common. So yes Hype at the end of the day is also bad.

My friend git a Wii U for Splatoon purely because of the E3 demo and it was beloved by the masses at Evo. They showed off the heart of the mechanics by having full multiplayer rounds, but with content.

Yooka-Laylee is the spiritual successor to one of the definitive 90s platformers, the fact it looks like a good one after 3 months of dev time and a low budget just goes to show its potential. Also people have wanted a new good Banjo-Kazooie for years and this game has the talent needed for one. Supply and demand.

One question, had a group of old Naughty Dog fellows gotten there first and offered 'Bash Merkat' would you really be surprised by it making alot? Then add to the mix Banjo Kazooie being a better game (nothing against Crash, the mechanics just reflect on it being born of an earlier time in 3D, doesn't mean a new one couldn't be awesome I am just saying Banjo holds up better by modern standards).

I wouldn't,  only since people allow nostalgia to take over their wallets. Except for the last crash bandiccot game, the rest were quite sub-par. If people actually go and play Banjo back instead of relying on their memories of how it was in their childhood, they'll notice that it's not as good as they remembered. The hype for Yooka and Laylie is because of nostalgia, no other reason, really. The characters so far aren't really that deep and a platformed with no characters is a horrible one IMO.

I too have experience the effect called nostalgia goggles. If I go back to when I went from playing to a PS1 to when I started playing on a PS2. I remember most games back then looking stunning, looking like their in HD and having no jaggies. This is far from the case of how actually PS2 games play.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Guess I'm the only one on the planet who enjoyed The Order 1886 lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Mr.Playstation said:
Ruler said:
Because sometimes they deliver like bloodborne did

Though with every Bloodborne there is an Order 1886, Destiny and Watch Dogs.

The Internet isnt the bible truth on games. A LOT of people enjoyed those 3 games. 

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network

There is a thirst for certain types of games, and publishers refuse to give them to us. When someone else actually offers a game that we want it is natural to get hyped for it

It's part of the whole approach to selling games these days.  Big budget, a checklist of 'essential' features, a snazzy reveal trailer, all backed up by an even bigger marketing budget. Start the hype early, hit it hard, and before anyone's even had a chance to play the game you've convinced enough people to buy your game to cover half the budget.

The other half is convinced by the overly exuberant praise doled out by the gaming media, too proud to admit they got duped the snazzy reveal trailer or who otherwise have a vested interest in portraying the next big thing as the second third fourth fifth sixth coming of Christ......that year.

Mr.Playstation said:
Twilord said:

My friend git a Wii U for Splatoon purely because of the E3 demo and it was beloved by the masses at Evo. They showed off the heart of the mechanics by having full multiplayer rounds, but with content.

I wouldn't,  only since people allow nostalgia to take over their wallets. Except for the last crash bandiccot game, the rest were quite sub-par. If people actually go and play Banjo back instead of relying on their memories of how it was in their childhood, they'll notice that it's not as good as they remembered. The hype for Yooka and Laylie is because of nostalgia, no other reason, really. The characters so far aren't really that deep and a platformed with no characters is a horrible one IMO.

I too have experience the effect called nostalgia goggles. If I go back to when I went from playing to a PS1 to when I started playing on a PS2. I remember most games back then looking stunning, looking like their in HD and having no jaggies. This is far from the case of how actually PS2 games play.

Obviously its not perfect by modern standards, but due to the collapse of the genre Banjo Kazooie remains one of the best Mascot Platformers around. However the genre has still grown thanks to, mostly, first party Nintendo, and to some extent first party Sony gems.

I'm also gonna disagree with your dissing of the characters, but that is purely cause they picked designs nearly exactly like what I was hoping for while avoiding looking too like Banjo and Kazooie. Also, they're three months into a project that goes until October 2016 and they seem to be wisely emphasising tight controls from what little we can tell of video. Even games from AAA developers often get that wrong.

As far as I am concerned it makes as much sense to be hyped for this as for any sequel.

Because marketing (whether though youtube, gaming sites, or on your TV) works. Publishers don't spend millions on it for nothing.

That being said, this is not a video games only phenomenon. Look at something like 50 Shades of Grey (the movie). Got lots of hype because the PR was amazing, and it offered a cringeworthy experience, at most.

Because we are idiots!