By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Are Gamers So Easily Hyped Up?

Hype is not a new thing.

Around the Network
danasider said:
Because marketing (whether though youtube, gaming sites, or on your TV) works. Publishers don't spend millions on it for nothing.

That being said, this is not a video games only phenomenon. Look at something like 50 Shades of Grey (the movie). Got lots of hype because the PR was amazing, and it offered a cringeworthy experience, at most.

its was heavly markted to older women, and i dont wanna be mean, but most older women have 0 taste and interrest in anything remotly challenging, did you ever tryed to read a women magazine?

Yooka-Laylee has some of Rare's best former staff behind it, responsible for some of the best games of the 90s.

As for Splatoon, it's a new IP from one of the best game development studios and publishers on the planet: EAD Kyoto and Nintendo. It's entirely understandable--especially given universally positive press previews--that people are hyped for Splatoon.

Doubts about The Order were prevalent in the press long before release, so that comparison doesn't really hold up for me.

Actually not only video games, Cinemas, mobile phones and PC, and even car also have a consumer that hype the product, when we living on social media era, most of the user are young people that use Internet and such, so from the demographic perspective most product that targeted for young and teens usually get hype more.

Because contrary to those statistics that come out now and then the average gamer is not 35 but probably closer to 17.

Around the Network

So we shouldn't get hyped anymore because some games failed to deliver? ; ) the games I got hyped for did not fail to deliver. I think some companies handle hype more better than others.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Depends on the person in particular. The portion of the gamers we see here on these forums, youtube, and the many other gaming media outlets is only a small portion of the whole piece. This piece in particular is here for the most part because they have the personality type that does get hyped up and follows this medium fairly closely. There are others that won't ever check any of this stuff but just get what their friends are getting, or what seems to be the most popular. There are others that are aware of these outlets but only stop by for informative and research purposes (a very good friend of mine is like that). Others that are aware, or not, and just don't care but will buy whatever they think will interest them.

Basically, I think the reason it seems so overwhelmingly like some are so easy to get hyped up is because what we are seeing is the majority of that certain demographic.
That's just my thoughts on it though.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Mr.Playstation said:

Looking at internet forums, YouTube and just the general internet, one can easily see that numerous gamers are hyped up for certain new IP's such as Yooka-Laylee and Splatoon and even sequels such as Uncharted 4. The former ( Yooka and Laylie ) in fact has raised over 1,000,000 British pounds on kick starter while the latter ( Uncharted 4 ) has all it's hype surrounding an E3 trailer which shows it running at 60fps yet the developers so far have only gotten it running at 37fps.

The game will release next year. If it was already running at 60 fps it would be released now.

generic-user-1 said:
danasider said:
Because marketing (whether though youtube, gaming sites, or on your TV) works. Publishers don't spend millions on it for nothing.

That being said, this is not a video games only phenomenon. Look at something like 50 Shades of Grey (the movie). Got lots of hype because the PR was amazing, and it offered a cringeworthy experience, at most.

its was heavly markted to older women, and i dont wanna be mean, but most older women have 0 taste and interrest in anything remotly challenging, did you ever tryed to read a women magazine?

I can't say all older women have 0 taste, but I do believe a lot of the consumers of this kind of stuff do it for the same reasons many (not all) play games. To get away from life and experience a fantasy. Just look at the cringeworthy dialogue and plot sequences in a lot of what our medium hails to be the best of storytelling...

As for who the movie was heavily marketed for, I can say a lot of young women were also interested in the whole kink factor. And a lot of boyfriends were dragged to the film with their significant others, or brought someone thinking it'd get their date hot. Point being, the marketing worked...just like it does for a lot of these games that come out strong in the hype machine and fall flat upon arrival.

I guess it's just because we're always expecting a huge result to be delivered.

Whether or not we do get such delivery ends up being independent from the hype, if you ask me.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."