By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where will Yooka Laylee sell the most on 8th gen consoles?

Highest Selling Version?

PS4 266 45.01%

WIIU 313 52.96%

XBO 12 2.03%

Total:591

I don't see this king of game selling that much on PS4. Yeah, I know Knack sold, hm, pretty well, but this kinds of games always have a spot on Nintendo hardware.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
Samus Aran said:

A Hat in Time is made by inexperienced people and development started 3 months ago with Yooka-Laylee. And look how much they were able to do already.

This is made by some of the most experienced developers in the world and they will expand their team to 15 people or more after the kickstarter (the size of an N64 team). They litterally said that in their kickstarter page and in interviews. That's not including the guys responsible for the music and sound (Grant Kirkhope, David Wise and Steve Burke). They will also collect a lot more money than a Hat in Time. A Hat in Time also has major engine problems for consoles while Playtonic uses the Unity engine for all platforms which is easy to use.

As long as they don't start overpromising with stretch goals they'll be fine.

They have already promised simultaneous day one release on six platforms.

What do the composers have to do with this? I think calling these guys the most experienced developers in the world is some gross hyperbole. What have they made in the past decade? The amount of money they're making also has little to do with this, in fact I think more money is a detriment to their schedule. The more funds they raise, the more stretch goals they have to make. They'll keep hitting those stretch goals. They can only hire so many people to work on this game if they want to keep the team reasonably small. More promises without hiring more people to work on them means more time spent in development.

Anyway they're already projecting an October 2016 release date. The game only has to be delayed by 3 months to slip into 2017. Much longer delays than that have struck everything from The Witcher 3 all the way down to Shovel Knight. Hell, that late into 2016 might already be bad news for Wii U. Who knows what it'll have going on next year other than Zelda?

The world has more colours than just black you know.

These guys made Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, etc.

That's a lot of experience, not matched by any kickstarter project before it.

None of their stretch goals so far sound ridiculous. They've added 2 more and they were completely reasonable. What do composers have to do with this? You do realize music and sound is essential for any game?

They said they want 2 teams in the future to work on multiple games in tandem.

E3 2015 will tell us what the Wii U has in store for next year.

These guys clearly know what they're doing:

I say ps4 because its a multiplat after all

Samus Aran said:

These guys made Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, etc.

None of their stretch goals so far sound ridiculous. They've added 2 more and they were completely reasonable. What do composers have to do with this? You do realize music and sound is essential for any game?

So we're clear, you're saying this game certainly won't be delayed by so much as three months because the developers have lots of experience making SNES and N64 games and know how to budget a project?

I am asking what the composers working on the game have to do with its development schedule. Why does having Kirkhope and Wise on-board ensure that the game will not be delayed? Alternatively, how do those composers help the Wii U maintain momentum into late 2016? I don't think we're on the same page, I'm talking about the Wii U trying to stay relevant long enough for this game to release and how even a tiny delay from its projected Oct '16 release could cripple the sales potential of the Wii U version, and you're telling me Playtonic wants to start a second team so they can work on two games simultaneously. That's nice, what does it have to do with the topic at hand though??

I don't think you've been following Kickstarter games very much, maybe you've heard of Wayforward, a developer that has released over two dozen games in the past five years. Or maybe the name Inti Creates rings a bell.

the_dengle said:
Samus Aran said:

So we're clear, you're saying this game certainly won't be delayed by so much as three months because the developers have lots of experience making SNES and N64 games and know how to budget a project?

I am asking what the composers working on the game have to do with its development schedule. Why does having Kirkhope and Wise on-board ensure that the game will not be delayed? Alternatively, how do those composers help the Wii U maintain momentum into late 2016? I don't think we're on the same page, I'm talking about the Wii U trying to stay relevant long enough for this game to release and how even a tiny delay from its projected Oct '16 release could cripple the sales potential of the Wii U version, and you're telling me Playtonic wants to start a second team so they can work on two games simultaneously. That's nice, what does it have to do with the topic at hand though??

I don't think you've been following Kickstarter games very much, maybe you've heard of Wayforward, a developer that has released over two dozen games in the past five years. Or maybe the name Inti Creates rings a bell.

I don't think you know what the difference is between an experienced developer and an inexperienced developer (i.e. 95% of the projects on KS).

And they worked on xbox, xbox360 and xbone games as well.

Around the Network

Wii U, then PS4.

Samus Aran said:

I don't think you know what the difference is between an experienced developer and an inexperienced developer (i.e. 95% of the projects on KS).

Are you saying Wayforward and Inti Creates are inexperienced?

Percentages are nonsense. 90% of everything is shit. You claimed that the amount of experience the makers of Yooka-Laylee have is "not matched by any kickstarter project before it." Would you like to amend that to, "not matched by 95% of Kickstarter projects before it"?

I'll humor this thread and say not the PS4.

.- -... -.-. -..

Keep in mind WiiU versions of games like Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and the Lego series compete very well with their PS4 counterparts in spite of the userbase difference.

You have to wonder if they'd allow the WiiU version to be technically inferior to PS4/X1 versions. Even if was (e.g. 720 vs 1080p), it'd likely still be rock solid technically given who we're dealing with. Technical issues with other franchises on WiiU like the one I mentioned haven't inhibited titles from selling well.

This just plays too well in WiiU's wheelhouse for it not to sell best there, but it still will be close

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

the_dengle said:
Samus Aran said:

Are you saying Wayforward and Inti Creates are inexperienced?

Percentages are nonsense. 90% of everything is shit. You claimed that the amount of experience the makers of Yooka-Laylee have is "not matched by any kickstarter project before it." Would you like to amend that to, "not matched by 95% of Kickstarter projects before it"?

Yeah, I'll take Rare devs over Wayforward and Inti Creates.