By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where will Yooka Laylee sell the most on 8th gen consoles?

Highest Selling Version?

PS4 266 45.01%

WIIU 313 52.96%

XBO 12 2.03%

Total:591
Kuksenkov said:

Omg, first thing that the topic creator states: "No arguing because of different opinions". But of course... That never turns out well, because everyone is so serious about proving themselves right on an internet forum.

On topic. It would be HILARIOUS if the game sold the best on Xbox One.
Although I'll say Wii U, followed by PS4 or PC.

yeah that's just the how the internet works lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I don't think that the Rayman comparisons hold water, because Rayman isn't a top tier platformer and never has been. As such, Nintendo gamers have relatively low interest despite being big fans of platformers. Rareware games, however, were and are held in high regards.

The installed base argument isn't that great either, because software sales don't scale linearly to installed base. Once you are a past a certain point, it really doesn't matter much how many systems are out there. For example, 20m PS4s vs. 60m PS4s doesn't mean that individual games will sell three times as many units.

The biggest advantage the PS4 has over the Wii U is that by the time Yooka-Laylee comes out, interest in Wii U software will already be leveling off due to severe software droughts that make existing owners lose interest in the system while the influx of new owners isn't high enough to offset these losses. On the flipside, the biggest advantage the Wii U has is that it's harder for games to get lost in the shuffle due to the lower amount of releases. Still, I don't think that's going to make up for the decline in active installed base.

Where were you when Wii U fans were fuming over Rayman Legends being delayed? Both Origins and Legends were critically lauded, Legends sitting at a metacritic of 91 and original being hyped by WIi U owners when it was exclusive. I also remember some claiming victory when the Wii U version was the highest selling back in 2013.

Install base doesn't have to scale 100% linearly for it to have an obvious effect, just look at general Wii U sales and compare that to PS4 sales. Why are the lego games selling far better on PS4 when the Wii U appears the more suitable, less bloated platform? A lot of the rhetoric in this thread seems under the illusion that the PS4 doesn't have a hugely diverse audience and fails to consider the possibility of dual platform ownership. After all people buy Nintendo platforms for exclusives, if they have any interest in multiplats they have to invest in another platform (PC/PS4/X1) and unless the game has some amazing gamepad features PS4 will probably be the platform of choice.

Kuksenkov said:

Omg, first thing that the topic creator states: "No arguing because of different opinions". But of course... That never turns out well, because everyone is so serious about proving themselves right on an internet forum.

On topic. It would be HILARIOUS if the game sold the best on Xbox One.
Although I'll say Wii U, followed by PS4 or PC.

I thought that was a joke? :/

lol most people wouldn't be on forums is they couldn't debate

It won't be wii u as many Nintendo fans still prefer physical copies in their collections.

Then you already got a natural disadvantage of a small install base to begin with.

Wii U. PS4 fans are not the kind of fans that will buy a 3D platformer. Believe it or not I think that Vita would sell more copies than PS4.

The developers are being flooded with calls for Wii U port and they are the ones that buy 3D platformers like they are going out of style. Wii U owners love indies and the team behind Banjo Kazooie know it. If they work out a deal for amiibo support and a Yooka Laylie amiibo, it is pretty much game over for the debate.

Around the Network

Wii U if Nintendo works with them to bring the Kongs to the Wii U version. Specially if this game gets a physical release.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

WiiU.

I'd guess PS4. I think Wii U owners are more likely to buy it on PC, as PS4 is more geared for those who want a PC substitute. But if the game runs exactly the same on Wii U and yooka-laylee amiibo is a thing, I can see that version having most sales.

Ka-pi96 said:
bunchanumbers said:
Wii U. PS4 fans are not the kind of fans that will buy a 3D platformer. Believe it or not I think that Vita would sell more copies than PS4.

The developers are being flooded with calls for Wii U port and they are the ones that buy 3D platformers like they are going out of style. Wii U owners love indies and the team behind Banjo Kazooie know it. If they work out a deal for amiibo support and a Yooka Laylie amiibo, it is pretty much game over for the debate.

Why not? You don't think the likes of Ratchet and Clank will draw 3D platformer fans to the console?

Not really. It seems like the majority of PS4 owners are casual. The same way that the majority of Wii owners were casual. They might buy a brand name because its recognizable, but they won't reach out and buy a indie. Ratchet and Clank may draw some sales, but I think it would probably be comparable to the people who went out and bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2.

Its why Sony and almost every other developer shifted away from 3D platformers and onto shooters. The majority of the user base of the twins are not interested in 3D platformers. I think that this game will end up on PS+ as a free game early, because it won't garner many sales from the userbase.

Samus Aran said:

A Hat in Time is made by inexperienced people and development started 3 months ago with Yooka-Laylee. And look how much they were able to do already.

This is made by some of the most experienced developers in the world and they will expand their team to 15 people or more after the kickstarter (the size of an N64 team). They litterally said that in their kickstarter page and in interviews. That's not including the guys responsible for the music and sound (Grant Kirkhope, David Wise and Steve Burke). They will also collect a lot more money than a Hat in Time. A Hat in Time also has major engine problems for consoles while Playtonic uses the Unity engine for all platforms which is easy to use.

As long as they don't start overpromising with stretch goals they'll be fine.

They have already promised simultaneous day one release on six platforms.

What do the composers have to do with this? I think calling these guys the most experienced developers in the world is some gross hyperbole. What have they made in the past decade? The amount of money they're making also has little to do with this, in fact I think more money is a detriment to their schedule. The more funds they raise, the more stretch goals they have to make. They'll keep hitting those stretch goals. They can only hire so many people to work on this game if they want to keep the team reasonably small. More promises without hiring more people to work on them means more time spent in development.

Anyway they're already projecting an October 2016 release date. The game only has to be delayed by 3 months to slip into 2017. Much longer delays than that have struck everything from The Witcher 3 all the way down to Shovel Knight. Hell, that late into 2016 might already be bad news for Wii U. Who knows what it'll have going on next year other than Zelda?