By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
TheSting said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I once had to use the towel trick on my Xbox 360.

......the towel trick.

When you're forced to do this you know you've played the worst engineered console of all time. It forces you to resort to ghetto tactics just to play for an hour or two.

Here is a video of the towel trick. Look it up on youtube. The videos are in the hundreds of thousands of views to millions. Its insane how bad it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tvXu34T8Q

Well starting with the NES i had to blow into the cartridge till i was blue in the face. My parents kept alcohol afloat in the 80s from trying to clean and get the games to work.

PS1 and 2 each had problems where ppl I know were turning the fuckers upside down and sideways to get the disc to read. Lots of people rebought the PS2 because of. Lawsuit against also.

No if he's talking about the 360 and including RROD. I didn't do any towel trick just sent two consoles back and my 3rd was back within 4 days and been working ever since. 

The other consoles had failure rates that werent over the average. Blowing the Nintendo cartridge is now a big joke to most people. Its like a cultural thing you had to go through that kids today will never understand. LOL The inside jokes of 24+ year olds. 

I literally had to suffocate the 360 system with a towel to get it to turn on. You had to overheat it. I admit that the 360 had the best OS though, no doubt, but it was just unbearable. There was a time when the 360 was all I had and sometimes it was just so unreliable. I had to keep bringing it back. Once I actually bought it all over again, which is why many people theorized a some of Microsofts 360 sales were repurchases for people who were not covered. 

Around the Network

PS2 had rebuys as well and no one knows how many just like the 360 which were probably on the high end of any stats.
I believe had internet been as huge more ppl would've heard about the shitty parts in PS 1&2. No one cares now.

TheSting said:
PS2 had rebuys as well and no one knows how many just like the 360 which were probably on the high end of any stats.
I believe had internet been as huge more ppl would've heard about the shitty parts in PS 1&2. No one cares now.

I am sure it did, but it was dealt with quickly. I never got to the level of RROD. RROD is essentially the king of failure rates. It was actually unveiled though that Microsoft rushed the R&D, so we know now why. They took the risk of launching it a year ahead of Sony, but they got the desired affect by launching faulty hardware.

"Good engineering" and "high failure rate" simply cannot be used in conjunction.

Even if the subsequent models fixed these issues, a system with good engineering wouldn't have experienced them in the first place.

Yea and whoever made that decision should've been fired on the spot. $3B for a deliberate dumb decision

Around the Network

Having a good idea means nothing if the execution has a 33% failure rate.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

That honor really should go to PS2. Great durability and having DVD playback was billiant. Though weaker than GC and Xbox, got enough other things right

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

As far as the mini "rebuys" discussion goes, I repurchased several systems. A few because the first broke. A few because a slicker model came out. It would be impossible to say which sales were due to which reason. But, whatever was the cause of the 360's high install base, 360 users bought a fuckton (1 fuckton=1000 Kilograms) of games.

fleischr said:
That honor really should go to PS2. Great durability and having DVD playback was billiant. Though weaker than GC and Xbox, got enough other things right

Besides DVD the PS2 had nothing on the GC or xbox... Harder to develop for, uglier graphics, poorer performance of games, longer loading times, etc.

Samus Aran said:
fleischr said:

Besides DVD the PS2 had nothing on the GC or xbox... Harder to develop for, uglier graphics, poorer performance of games, longer loading times, etc.

And the PS2 is still regarded by most as the best console of all time. Guess nobody really cared lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3