By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, no.

And see my post above. GC library gave us a lot more joy than the PS2's.

Well that's your personal preference. For me I think the Ps2 had better looking games than both the GC or Xbox. Maybe not technically but artistically. Also I enjoyed the Ps2's diverse library more. 

I never stated otherwise.

I had a lot of variety on my GC, so can't complain about that.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I once had to use the towel trick on my Xbox 360.

......the towel trick.

When you're forced to do this you know you've played the worst engineered console of all time. It forces you to resort to ghetto tactics just to play for an hour or two.

Here is a video of the towel trick. Look it up on youtube. The videos are in the hundreds of thousands of views to millions. Its insane how bad it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tvXu34T8Q

I never heard of this trick until you mentioned it. It makes me wonder how in the world does it work? Wouldn't purposely cooking your 360 kill it instead of resurrecting it? o_O

The initial problems were rectified and it was a fine console.

Red Ring of Death

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

fory77 said:
My 2600 (and i'm assuming many others') has been made over 30 years ago and still works perfectly. The only hardware related problems i have encountered are the controllers. I've had to open them a couple of times.
I'm biased so i will pick that.

This is my thinking too. I wonder what percentage of Xbox360's will make it to the 30 year mark?

Around the Network

I feel the 360 gave the best console experience last generation, but it's far from being well engineered.

I'd say Nintendo consoles overall have the best in terms of engineering...

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

I prefer the 360 to the PS3 because it downloads things and operates much faster. As far as exclusive games I like, it is behind the PS3. The primary exclusives I bought it for in Mass Effect and Bioshock both turned out to be timed exclusives. This annoyed me as it was bought primarily for exclusives after my PS3. Overall, it is a great console and I will never understand the people that cannot say it is a great machine

leo-j said:
If Sony had put in a DVD player instead of a blue ray player and launched at 399.. They would have destroyed Xbox 360 sales..... Xbox took market share due to Xbox being 200 dollars cheaper and being launched a year earlier

100% correct

Aura7541 said:

I never heard of this trick until you mentioned it. It makes me wonder how in the world does it work? Wouldn't purposely cooking your 360 kill it instead of resurrecting it? o_O

Yeah, you literally had to suffocate your Xbox 360 with a towel to get it to turn back on. Microsoft literally had to remodel the 360 and after multiple attempts didnt get it right until 2010 with the Xbox 360 slim. They had a Jasper version, the falcon version and none of them fixed the problems.

This is why the Xbox One has like a fan everywhere. 

leo-j said:
If Sony had put in a DVD player instead of a blue ray player and launched at 399.. They would have destroyed Xbox 360 sales..... Xbox took market share due to Xbox being 200 dollars cheaper and being launched a year earlier

True but the Blu Ray job had to be done. Without it we would've been forced into a digital era early.