By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox 360 Was Probably the Best Engineered Video Game Console Ever

What is the best Engineered Video Game Console Ever?

Xbox 360 127 13.86%

PS4 405 44.21%

SNES 123 13.43%

Dreamcast 62 6.77%

Atari 2600 12 1.31%

None of the above 187 20.41%

Total:916
fleischr said:
That honor really should go to PS2. Great durability and having DVD playback was billiant. Though weaker than GC and Xbox, got enough other things right

I agree about the durability. My PS2 has taken spills, drops, and tumbles and it still works perfectly fine. 

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
fleischr said:
That honor really should go to PS2. Great durability and having DVD playback was billiant. Though weaker than GC and Xbox, got enough other things right

Besides DVD the PS2 had nothing on the GC or xbox... Harder to develop for, uglier graphics, poorer performance of games, longer loading times, etc.

Uhh, you forgot the most important reason: Games. The GC nor the Xbox has nothing compared to the Ps2's library. And while it indeed had the less prettier versions of multiplatform games, it still had a lot of gorgeous looking exclusives that could easily trump the best looking games on either the GC or the Xbox. 

alternine said:
Samus Aran said:

Besides DVD the PS2 had nothing on the GC or xbox... Harder to develop for, uglier graphics, poorer performance of games, longer loading times, etc.

And the PS2 is still regarded by most as the best console of all time. Guess nobody really cared lol

Many people are ignorant I suppose. Can't regard something as the best console of all time if you never played it (GC/xbox).

It would've been better for gamers had the xbox or GC dominated.

But I guess many people were put off by the purple cube design of the GC. Which shows how superficial people can be.

Me and my friends always ended up playing MK: DD, SSB Melee, LOTR: ROTK, SSX3 and MP2: Echoes together. The only time we played PS2 games together was with Battlefront II and some of the DBZ fighting games. PS2 only had 2 controller ports, incredibly lame.

Oh, we also played some of the Eyetoy minigames together. But most of the time it was the GC we went to. 

Kowan said:
Samus Aran said:

Uhh, you forgot the most important reason: Games. The GC nor the Xbox has nothing compared to the Ps2's library. And while it indeed had the less prettier versions of multiplatform games, it still had a lot of gorgeous looking exclusives that could easily trump the best looking games on either the GC or the Xbox. 

Yeah, no.

And see my post above. GC library gave us a lot more joy than the PS2's.

If Sony had put in a DVD player instead of a blue ray player and launched at 399.. They would have destroyed Xbox 360 sales..... Xbox took market share due to Xbox being 200 dollars cheaper and being launched a year earlier

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
If Sony had put in a DVD player instead of a blue ray player and launched at 399.. They would have destroyed Xbox 360 sales..... Xbox took market share due to Xbox being 200 dollars cheaper and being launched a year earlier

Same can be said about the N64 using cartridges instead of CDs.

No what ifs, it happened the way it did.

My 2600 (and i'm assuming many others') has been made over 30 years ago and still works perfectly. The only hardware related problems i have encountered are the controllers. I've had to open them a couple of times.
I'm biased so i will pick that.

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

Yeah, no.

Well, isn't because you're Nintendo bias just like I'm Sony bias?

Samus Aran said:
Kowan said:

Yeah, no.

Well that's your personal preference. For me I think the Ps2 had better looking games than both the GC or Xbox. Maybe not technically but artistically. Also I enjoyed the Ps2's diverse library more. 

gooch_destroyer said:
Samus Aran said:

Yeah, no.

Well, isn't because you're Nintendo bias just like I'm Sony bias?

I might be Nintendo biased now, but I wasn't during my childhood. I was a Metroid fan before I was a Nintendo fan, I didn't even know it was made by them.

I didn't know SSBM existed until I played it at a friend's and I've rarely had more fun with a video game. Imagine my surprise seeing Samus was playable in the game, I couldn't comprehend that!

My point is: I didn't pay attention to who made the game when I was a kid. I just played what me or my friends bought. Looking back, most of those games were made by Nintendo.

I did have fun with the PS1 & PS2 as well though. More so with the PS1 (Syphon Filter, Sou:l Blade, MGS1, Crash Bandicoot, etc.)

Although I'm not sure if I played Syphon FIlter on the PS1, PS2 or both. Insanely good memories from that game though! I think it was PS1.